Poweramp alpha-build-703/704

maxmp

On 4/23/2016 at 4:48 AM, andrewilley said:

There are two menu icons on the player screen, the 'three lines' menu on the left, which takes you to the list which includes Library views and Settings, and the 'three dots' one on the right for local options relevant to the current screen (current song actions, etc). Max says he has done this to fit in with Google's guidelines for how such buttons should work, but personally I just find it more messy and convoluted - but then I find that of a lot of Google's design ideas (Menus have worked just fine since the dawn of graphical interfaces, what on earth possessed them to suddenly declare that they shall henceforce be known as 'overflow lists' ???).

Andre

Well do you think there could be the option to edit the overflow menu? I could get used to it if there isn't, but at least on the current stable version, the settings menu has options to edit the overflow under look & feel. I don't know how hard it would be to add something like that back in, but I think customization is a central part of Poweramp and I'd really like to regain control over the overflow menu.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still unsolved issues with this build.

1 - If a track has album art, adding it to a playlist makes the album art disappear

2 - The time bar at the bottom is still inaccurate on some files and does not calculate the track length properly (the song runs past the end time)

1 hour ago, kradcliffe said:

2 - The time bar at the bottom is still inaccurate on some files and does not calculate the track length properly (the song runs past the end time)

That issue is resolved for VBR MP3s for me with build 703, but Max did say that poorly encoded files without TOC data might not be very accurate.

Could you upload an example file?

Andre

Today PA ate 10% of fully charged battery on my Xiaomi mi2 by 40minutes. When I have took my device from the pocket, it was hot, like after active playing or surfing. I am using PA for ages, and it is abnormal for this player. 

firmware: MIUI 7.2.5.0 on Android 5.0.2

Screenshot_2016-04-28-10-18-41_com.miui.securitycenter~01.png

Hey, i have a question for advanced users. I've just installed Poweramp Alpha on my Sony nw-zx2 and it sounds great for me but here is an annoying issue. When i push a hardware play/pause button in stand by mode my nw-zx2 automatically starts default sony player instead of Power Amp. So i have to turn the screen on, manualy pause the deafault player and only after that start Poweramp. So the question is: any chance to disable default player and associate Poweramp with the Play/Pause?

2 hours ago, anglomilian said:

When i push a hardware play/pause button in stand by mode my nw-zx2 automatically starts default sony player instead of Power Amp.

Have you tried forcing the player Service to stay in memory? (in Settings > Misc  > Tweaks)

Andre

5 hours ago, kradcliffe said:

Please see below. Poweramp shows it as 3:14 but it is 3:39 and runs past the end of the ticker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eg217nql6sx4im4/JESSIE%20J%20-%20SEXY%20LADY.MP3?dl=0

That's a CBR encode, possibly without a TOC. However you've got a large 816K embedded cover image in the file that is throwing off the calculated seek offset. The real runtime is indeed 3:13 if you check it with a stopwatch, and it works fine if you strip out the image.

Andre

On 04/24/2016 at 3:09 AM, anonanon said:

scrobbling seems very broken with this build

I look at last.fm and there's a lot of tracks missing and there's tracks I definitely haven't played, I started playing one album and drove for 45 minutes, last.fm only shows the second track and everything after it isn't even the same artist

simple last.fm shows the last now playing notification was submitted 20 minutes ago even though I'm still playing music and that wasn't even what I'm playing

edit: just disabled simple last.fm and enabled it for the official app in both apps, let several tracks play, no scrobbles.

just me?

3 hours ago, kradcliffe said:

Track plays fine on all other music players and my DJ software .......

It plays fine in Poweramp too, and lasts for 3:13 as expected. It's only when trying to navigate within the track that the counter position gets misreported. Hopefully Max will be able to add a workaround though.

Andre

1 hour ago, anonanon said:

just me?

No, I think Max mentioned that scrobbling may not work reliably in the alpha builds, but should be working again by the final release. I don't think he sees it as a priority in the meantime though.

Andre

Wow! The sound quality is insane, I mean v2 was pretty good but this coupled with a phone that support the Hi-Res output is in a league of it's own, up there alone with Viper4Android. Really impressed by the work you've done.

Now as for the ui it's another story, I liked the old one better. Now though this is most likely is due to both the lack of material design and all of the theming option v2 has (by the way the material theme by ikorolkov really is amazing for the v2) which make this one feel outdated.

Definitely looking forward to future updates and hopefully the return of themes in the near future :)

Edit: Just saw the next build priorities thread and the fact that a revamped ui is coming next!

On 2016. 04. 28. at 1:02 PM, strn said:

Today PA ate 10% of fully charged battery on my Xiaomi mi2 by 40minutes. When I have took my device from the pocket, it was hot, like after active playing or surfing. I am using PA for ages, and it is abnormal for this player. 

firmware: MIUI 7.2.5.0 on Android 5.0.2

Similar happened to me. Looks like there is something wrong with the folder scanning, it never ends and so heavily uses the CPU it heats up the device and causes partial wakelocks.

On 28/4/2016 at 11:30 AM, kradcliffe said:

Still unsolved issues with this build.

1 - If a track has album art, adding it to a playlist makes the album art disappear

Concerning the inaccurate time calculation, I've encountered this problem since V2 and have actually found two solutions:

If you're the one doing the MP3 encoding (I am old-school and buy all my music in CDs and then rip them myself using EAC), the LAME encoder has the ability to calculate the duration in milliseconds and store it in the MP3 tag, which Poweramp reads. Just add the following to the encoder's settings:

-p --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors

For already-made MP3s the best method I've found is to edit the ID3v2 tag using Mp3tag, its' author has put considerable effort over the years to store ID3v2 tags in the most compatible method there is for every quirk popular media players might have (like iTunes vs Windows Media Player) and I have verified that after editing MP3 tags with the program that various issues I might have had usually disappear, including missing album art and, wrong duration.

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Could you check that only the folders you want to scan are listed in Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders.

Andre

Yes, I set it only to scan the  storage/sdcard1/_userdata/music folder since the beginning. Works fine with the latest 2.x version.

3 hours ago, Feilakas said:

Just add the following to the encoder's settings:

-p --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors

With the current LAME at least, as long as you add any tags at all via the command line, it will by default create an id3v2 tag and include the length. I created an MP3 file using only the parameters -V0 --tt "Title Here" and the resulting tags were as follows:

[MPEG]          MPEGAudioVersion                : 1
[MPEG]          AudioLayer                      : 3
[MPEG]          AudioBitrate                    : 128 kbps
[MPEG]          SampleRate                      : 44100
[MPEG]          ChannelMode                     : Joint Stereo
[MPEG]          MSStereo                        : On
[MPEG]          IntensityStereo                 : Off
[MPEG]          CopyrightFlag                   : False
[MPEG]          OriginalMedia                   : True
[MPEG]          Emphasis                        : None
[MPEG]          VBRFrames                       : 7818
[MPEG]          VBRBytes                        : 6001774
[MPEG]          VBRScale                        : 100
[MPEG]          Encoder                         : LAME3.99r
[MPEG]          LameVBRQuality                  : 0
[MPEG]          LameQuality                     : 0
[MPEG]          LameMethod                      : VBR (new/mtrh)
[MPEG]          LameLowPassFilter               : 22.1 kHz
[MPEG]          LameBitrate                     : 32 kbps
[MPEG]          LameStereoMode                  : Joint Stereo
[ID3]           EncoderSettings                 : LAME 64bits version 3.99.5 (http://lame.sf.net)
[ID3]           Title                           : Title Here
[ID3]           Length                          : 204.173 s
[ID3]           Artist                          :
[ID3]           Album                           :
[ID3]           Year                            :
[ID3]           Comment                         :
[ID3]           Genre                           : None

However I do have a lot of LAME encoded files without the Length field set, so I'm not sure why that is happening, I'd need to check further.

Andre

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

With the current LAME at least, as long as you add any tags at all via the command line, it will by default create an id3v2 tag and include the length. I created an MP3 file using only the parameters -V0 --tt "Title Here" and the resulting tags were as follows:

However I do have a lot of LAME encoded files without the Length field set, so I'm not sure why that is happening, I'd need to check further.

Andre

For me the "Length" field started appearing when I added the -p parameter which ironically has nothing to do with length according to the LAME 3.99.5 man:

-p              error protection.  adds 16 bit checksum to every frame (the checksum is computed correctly)

However I find it best not to confuse matters for users not interested in the specifics...

I have seen many people asking but i think has not been yet clarified. As an owner of Lg V10 i would like to know if its possible for the Ess Dac Sabre to be utilized because as i can understand the hi res support refers only to the internal 24bit Snapdragon dac.... Thanks in advance....

8 hours ago, johmic said:

I have seen many people asking but i think has not been yet clarified. As an owner of Lg V10 i would like to know if its possible for the Ess Dac Sabre to be utilized because as i can understand the hi res support refers only to the internal 24bit Snapdragon dac.... Thanks in advance....

Agreed, Johmic.  I am also itching for an answer about this.  I have even noticed that Tidal Hi-Fi sounds different, dare-I-say better, when comparing identical tracks (no post-processing applied, of course).  The question is quite simple: in the V10, is Poweramp Alpha using the ESS Sabre to upsample, or is it using Snapdragon circuitry ?  If not using the ESS Sabre, are there plans to add support in the future (next Alpha, Beta, Official Release) ?  It's a bit of a drag to hear Tidal sound better, and not at least know why ...

Johmic, I have also posed the question here, as well as e-mailed Max, directly: are there plans to add the option for native resolution playback of files, opposed to strict upsampling.  I like the idea of upsampling as an option, but not at the expense of native resolution playback.  Especially in a library that contains different albums/songs with varied bitrates, if one is not a fan of upsampling, it's a drag to constantly change the options. But even if not, it may be safe to assume that native resolution playback would consume less power than strict upsampling --- making the option even more important.

I haven't heard a reply here, nor at my inbox, from Max --- going on a week+ ... Either way, I appreciate the opportunity to voice my concerns, and continue to make Poweramp better, going forward.  And as an aside, I am suspicious that Tidal uses some kind of 'in-house' EQ or crossfeed processing in their track encoding --- or possibly it's the merits of MQA ?

Archived