Issues with last.fm scrobbling

Fishzerg

Hi! 

I have a full version of Poweramp and very happy with it. I however have experienced some problems with last.fm scrobbling from this app. I am using Simple Last.fm Scrobbler, and I am aware that it is difficult to know whether this is a Scrobbler or Poweramp issue, but one has to start somewhere.

The problem is that not all tracks scrobble. Sometimes one or two tracks from an album will just randomly not scrobble. Both last.fm Scrobbler app and the Last.fm webpage show these tracks as "now playing". There is nothing that makes these tracks different than others which scrobble successfully. 

This was a problem a month or two ago, then it disappeared, and it came back again just one or two days ago. 

Scrobbling from other sources besides my Android phone work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have trouble with scrobbling as well. I've got build 588, latest version of all relevant apps, running on a Sony Z5 Compact with Android version 6.0.

I primarily use the Simple Last.fm Scrobbler, which I get best results with. I lose about 10% of scrobbles this way. It's looking random as to what scrobbles will be dropped, but if I'm sitting at my desk working then fewer will be dropped compared to if I'm out and about. No idea what causes this though!

I have also got the Last.fm app scrobbling, but this fails to scrobble pretty much anything. I'll get maybe one song in 40 or 50 scrobbling via the Last.fm app. (I know when this happens as it'll appear as a double scrobble when viewed on the last.fm website).

Scrobbling from (for example) Spotify works fine from both phone and desktop. Desktop scrobbling is also fine via the Last.fm desktop app (eg playing music from winamp).

Please ask for more info if I've forgotten anything relevant.

Tony

I have experienced a lot of bugs with scrobbling on Poweramp, but once I downloaded "Simple Last.fm Scrobbler," and disabled scrobbling from the official Last.fm app, everything was great. My comment on another thread is as follows

On 7/14/2015 at 7:22 PM, DarXide said:

I had the same problem. after playing around a lot I found a fix. uninstall the default last.fm app. install Simple last.fm scrobbler app. this is the app you'll use to scrobble your stuff. 

You shouldn't need to do anything else, but if you want, my settings are as follows:

On Poweramp:

- Scrobble via Simple Last.fm checked

- Everything else unchecked

On Simple Last.fm Scrobbler:

- Scrobble checked

- Notify now playing checked (sometimes I had to disable this otherwise it would scrobble a song even though it was paused/stopped)

- When to scrobble: after every track

* plugged in Options: same as for battery

Thanks for the reply DarXide.

I wondered as I read your post how, given my scrobbling setup, the official Last.fm app would "get in the way" of the Simple Last.fm's scrobbles, seeing as I Have SLS set up to not send scrobbles until I hit the "scrobble now" button. In other words, Poweramp should just let SLS know to add a song to the scrobble cache, and no network traffic happens until I intervene.

Also it seemed that the Official Last.fm app wasn't working as I was getting maybe 5-10% of its scrobbles through (which is why I installed SLS to save the day, despite losing the occasional scrobble).

Anyway I took your advice regarding the Official Last.fm app. I didn't uninstall it, as I use it to check stats etc now and again. All I did was uncheck "Scrobble via Official Last.fm app" in the Poweramp settings. All of a sudden 100% of Official Last.fm scrobbles are appearing! how odd. (I assume this is because I have "Other music apps" selected in the "Scrobble from" section of the Official Last .fm app settings. So now I'm getting almost double scrobbles (I say almost as it's 100% via Official Last.fm app and maybe 90-95% from SLS), I can easily delete the doubles.

I'll keep my eye on it for a few days and update with any findings or suspicions. 

Ahhhh. I encountered the duplicate scrobbles problem too. I cant remember how I fixed that. Do you have only SLS checked in Poweramp settings, and only Poweramp checked in SLS settings?

Now I actually don't know if SLS has been going 95% on my scrobbles too. Damn. That would be a huge bummer

2 hours ago, DarXide said:

Ahhhh. I encountered the duplicate scrobbles problem too. I cant remember how I fixed that. Do you have only SLS checked in Poweramp settings, and only Poweramp checked in SLS settings?

Now I actually don't know if SLS has been going 95% on my scrobbles too. Damn. That would be a huge bummer

It's not really a problem, as I know I've got one reliable source of scrobbling, which surprisingly turns out to be via the Last.fm app. 

The scrobbling settings in Poweramp are as follows:

Scrobble via Official Last.fm app: unticked (was ticked until yesterday)

Scrobble via Simple Last.fm app: ticked

Scrobble via Scrobble Droid: unticked

Last.fm app settings:

Spotify unselected

Rdio unselected

Other music apps selected

Wifi scrobble only unselected

Scrobble point 50% (a bit pessimistic, I'll probably raise this as confidence with Last.fm app scrobbling improves)

SLS settings:

Scrobble ticked

Notify now playing ticked

When to scrobble When you press the scrobble now button

Also on playlist finish ticked

Network Submit data on any network

Roaming unticked

(duplicated for on battery/unplugged)

Enabled apps in SLS:

Only Poweramp

(Others available: Anroid Music Player, Spotify, Sony Ericsson Music Player)

Hey guys, thanks for answers so far.

Actually I had read DarXide's answer earlier and have my set-up enabled the same way in the simple scrobbler, Poweramp itself, and the official last.fm app has been removed long time ago. I still am getting the same issue of around 10% scrobbles mysteriously disappearing.

Hey,

I'm encountering a different problem with scrobbling.

Usually everything scrobbles fine, 100%. However, once in a few days, everything just randomly stops scrobbling. Nothing scrobbles at all anymore.

I'm sure this is a Poweramp issue as I tried several scrobblers and encountered the problem in all.

It is quite easily fixable - go to 'scrobble settings', untick the box, tick it again, play a new song and it scrobbles now. However, the problem is what happens until I notice it, all scrobbles are gone forever and there's no cache or anything.

Anyone else encountered this? thanks.

After a week or so observation, I can confirm I'm curently getting 99.99% accurate scrobbling via the Official Last.fm app, and about 90% accurate SLS scrobbling, using the settings I described above.

I'll turn off SLS soon, and stick with the official app.

On 20/05/2016 at 5:38 AM, DarXide said:

Shoot. I knew about universalscrobbler. I should've shared it :P

Thanks for the update/info tonyb! Would you mind sharing what phone and android version you're using?

No problemo: Sony Z5 Compact, Android 6.0.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hi - after a month or so of stable scrobbling I've started having problems with the Last.fm official scrobbler, so I've re-enabled SLS as well. Anyone else having issues in the last couple of weeks?

• 5 months later...

Any luck tonyb? 

I got a new phone and am experiencing missing scrobbles. The updated SLS has options like "OnGoing" and "Notification" which I am experimenting with to see if they help scrobbles

I think for me the missing scrobbles only occur when I pause a song or there is interruption. Will have to test this out more

• 4 weeks later...

I'd issues scrobbling too with Poweramp v3 alpha.

Now I found a solution and it works fine since 3 hours using SLS, my settings are:

Poweramp:
scrobble via Last.fm app enabled
scrobble via Simple Last.fm disabled (yeah, sounds weird but it really works)

SLS:
active Apps: Poweramp checked

scrobble after: 50%
ongoing: checked
notification: checked
scrobble: checked
now playing: chedked
when to scrobble: after each song
scrobble on playlist end: checked

Note that newer android versions have battery saving features and kill apps if they're not on the whitelist as soon as the screen is disabled, so you need to put SLS on the whitelist.

If I pause a song it isn't scrobbled directly, but it will be scrobbled as soon as I continue listening or start listening to new songs, if the 50% were already reached)

On 4.1.2017 at 11:11 AM, last resort said:

Note that newer android versions have battery saving features and kill apps if they're not on the whitelist as soon as the screen is disabled, so you need to put SLS on the whitelist.

Thank you so much for this tip :lol: - I've had problems scrobbling from Android with Poweramp (v2) a long, long time, and I thought either the problem was in Poweramp or last.fm API (http://status.last.fm/), but it got annoying so I looked here for an answer, and found this.

I couldn't figure it out; I tried the v3 alpha for a while, so I thought that might be causing it, even after I returned to v2. Uninstalled both Poweramp and Simple Scrobbler, nothing changed. But this I did not think of, brilliant.

It's not even a "new" Android, Galaxy S4 with v5 OS. But it does an an "app optimizer" and I couldn't think it would cause this error.

The Poweramp people should put this in a FAQ or something... :)

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 4:11 AM, last resort said:

Now I found a solution and it works fine since 3 hours using SLS, my settings are:

Poweramp:

SLS:

If I pause a song it isn't scrobbled directly, but it will be scrobbled as soon as I continue listening or start listening to new songs, if the 50% were already reached)

Do you have Poweramp v3 Alpha? Because I've tried the exact settings above with the play store Poweramp version and I'm still missing scrobbles. Seems like a really high percentage too. I even put the apps on whitelist (removing app optimization on my phone)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a major problem that pretty much any available scrobbling app wouldn't work offline with Poweramp or other music players. I've tried everything, but what solved the issue for me was going into the settings of my phone and allowing the simple last.fm app to run even when I turn off (lock) the screen. Makes sense and worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

On 5.2.2017 at 8:16 PM, DarXide said:

Do you have Poweramp v3 Alpha? Because I've tried the exact settings above with the play store Poweramp version and I'm still missing scrobbles. Seems like a really high percentage too. I even put the apps on whitelist (removing app optimization on my phone)

Yes, I've opted in as a beta tester in the google play store. So I'm on the newest version with my Honor 7 (Android Marshmallow)

As I said I haven't noticed any missing scrobble with my settings, despite if I pause a song. Then it isn't scrobbled directly altough it already reached the 50%. If I'd kill the SLS app until continue scrobbling the scrobble would be lost then.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on v3 703 alpha. What is working for me: 

Last.fm app

Nothing enabled in Poweramp scrobbling settings.

And under headset/bluetooth enabled Metachanged intent. (if I disable it, it only scrobbles first song and then keeps showing now scrobbling the same song even thought another song(s) are playing.

If I check Send Album - Artist under headset/bluetooth, it messes up scrobbling adding albums to scrobbles. So in car via BT I see only title, but it scrobbles correctly.

Previously I was on latest v2 scrobbling via SLS while having enabled SLS scrobbling in Poweramp (while having enabled Send Album - Artist under headset/bluetooth) and everything was working just perfect. But I had to switch phones and v2 was playing sort of messy audio on new phone (Android 7.1.1) so I switched to v3 and audio playback is now fine and scrobbling after much fiddling around too..

• 2 months later...
On 3.1.2017 at 11:11 AM, last resort said:

Poweramp:

SLS:

Hey Guys,

i can confirm these settings above work for me. Scrobbles from Poweramp are now published again.

I am using Poweramp alpha-build-703-play on a Honor 8 Huawei FRD-L09 with Android Version 7.0

Archived