Poweramp alpha-build-702

maxmp

5 hours ago, night2k7 said:

Additionally the album cover is only shown when album art animation is set.  Without the album cover is not shown at all.

The 'Prefer in-folder Images' option only applies to Album Lists, not to the Player screen. The Player screen should always use embedded art over in-folder image files (unless overridden by a manual download for that song).

Andre

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/21/2016 at 9:42 PM, maxmp said:

Alpha2 F.A.Q.

Q. Poweramp v2 always has been able to play Hi-Res Audio, what is actually added in Alpha2?

A. Poweramp v2 can decode Hi-Res Audio, but it's always resampled back to 16bit/48 (or 44.1) khz as previously device+ROM combination couldn't output more than that.

Alpha2 build can actually output Hi-Res (24bit/192khz, depedning on the device) via smartphone Hi-Res DAC to wired headset/headphones.

Q. What smartphones have internal Hi-Res DAC?

A. Samsung Galaxy (S5/S6/S7 and variants), Note4/5 

LG G2/3/4, V10

Sony Z3/Z4/Z5 and variants

HTC One A9/M9

Some MTK based devices (with appropriate hardware and ro.mtk_besloudness_support=1) (e.g. Highscreen Boost3).

All the above devices should be on Android 5+, with the exception of LG G2, which is Hi-Res capable on Android 4.4.

The bold ones are tested/confirmed. Due to the variety in Hi-Res implementations, internal Hi-Res can also work on devices not listed here. If you open Poweramp Audio Settings => Output and you can see Wired Headset/AUX in Hi-Res Output (Experimental), then it's supported.

Poweramp alpha2 actually implements multiple Hi-Res variants:

- Snapdragon variant (LG/Sony/HTC devices). (Btw. many Snapdragon-based devices actually has Hi-Res capable hardware (e.g. latest Nexuses), but it's disabled in software)

- Samsung UHQA variant (it's a separate codepath even on Samsung Snapdragon-based devices)

- Sony Hi-Res variant (96khz only, Sony can also do 192khz in Snapdragon-variant mode - without DVC)

- MTK variant

- USB DAC variant (external Hi-Res DACs)

The DVC option is supported on some devices (Samsungs, Sonys, MTKs, USB DACs), but not on others (HTCs, LGs)

Q. Are these devices actually output Hi-Res audio or is this fake?

These are Frequency Analysis screenshots taken by capturing Poweramp alpha2 while playing 0-96khz sine sweep, encoded as 24bit/192khz flac on Headset/AUX output with Hi-Res capable sound card (Asus X5) @ 192khz.

Samsung S6 Edge:

s6edge.png

Samsung S7 Edge (Exynos):

s7edge.png

Sony Z5 Premium (it's DVC capable output is only 96khz, it can do 192khz output as well, though, w/o DVC):

sonyz5p.png

Q. What about planned UI changes?

A. I'm on it and that will be focus of the next release (that would be beta1). And the last beta would be beta2 with Remote Playback/Cloud Storages support.

Love it!!

I found 2 of bugs. Device is Samsung Galaxy S6 edge(SM-G925S, G925SKSU3DPAC, 6.0.1)

1. Default music volume doesn't go to maximum at sometimes(after playing something via other apps). 

2. 100% of volume is lower than 97% in hearing(the steps of volume which I set was 30).

24 minutes ago, Marbulas said:

2. 100% of volume is lower than 97% in hearing(the steps of volume which I set was 30).

Don't forget Poweramp allows headroom for boosting frequencies within the EQ. You can turn this off if you either never boost any frequencies above the default, or you don't mind occasional clipping one full 100% peaks. Or just push up the preamp a bit, but again expect clipping on any 100% peaks in your music.

Andre

Hi,

I've install this version on my car stereo, the  problem I find it the controls are now to the left of the screen and next to them is the album info, artist, song etc. the track info is very squished on the right side. the v2 used to have the controls above the track info taking the full width of the screen, is there away to change this? also there are icons on the top of the screen to the right, tag info, visualization, the problem is they extend over the album art, it there a way to disable these icons?

it is no longer possible to disable the icons (I was upset to see that option go too, but it's related to skin support).

Personally I prefer the new landscape layout (I hated having the >> and << displayed above each other, and not having the <<< and >>> buttons too) but I'm sure that will be skinable once themes support returns. This is an alpha release don't forget.

Andre

Hi,

I don't mind how the >> and << are displayed, but the track info is very squished, is that going to be fixed in the final release? If the album art could be movable like left, centre right of the screen, that would solve the icons getting in the way, and if the album art is on the left of the screen, there room to put the track info there. So if I want to keep the way it looks, just don't update? as the google store want me to update, but it updates to v3, is that correct?

Thanks

Koush

Hello everyone! When I seek or play/pause I noticed that it's using fade, even when I untick the relevant options. Any idea what is causing this? And I think that you should make some changes to the shuffle button because it's too easy to change which option is being used (previously I made the most stupid bug report from this, because I only remember turning shuffle off, and it turned on somehow). Anyway, I'm so sorry for the stupidity ??

Hello, two thing I would like to see if anyone else had similar issues. 1.the albulm search is not working. I just updated to alpha and albulm search  isn't working. 2 Edit:(just figured out how to change visuals)  3. When changing the setting for high res audio, it will always say failed, went back to default output. 

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues. Otherwise, I don't see anything weird yet. 

One finally thing about Poweramp in general. When playing music, without dvc, does Poweramp tend to exaggerate the bass by default? I've just noticed that in the visualizer the bass is always higher than the highs even though I'm hearing little bass versus highs. Then again, maybe it's my earbuds. Also, what does dvc do, does it exaggerated specific frequencies? I can't seem to pinpoint what it does. Finally, what does it mean by dvc not supported in high res, and is it possible on the figure, or with root, or something,to get dvc working. Thanks 

7 hours ago, tonja_loco said:

Hello everyone! When I seek or play/pause I noticed that it's using fade, even when I untick the relevant options. Any idea what is causing this? And I think that you should make some changes to the shuffle button because it's too easy to change which option is being used (previously I made the most stupid bug report from this, because I only remember turning shuffle off, and it turned on somehow). Anyway, I'm so sorry for the stupidity ??

It is working for me, maybe you did this, but press the visualization button, then tap fade out. It should then be crossed out. Try that. And if that's how do you did it the first time, I'm not sure it worked for me. 

4 hours ago, dwang040 said:

Also, what does dvc do, does it exaggerated specific frequencies? 

DVC stands for Direct Volume Control, and it allows Poweramp to get access to the output device at a lower level rather than going through so many Android/manufacturer APIs. The downside of this is that it will usually bypass any special/custom audio features that the manufacturer may have added to the device.

For issues with hi-rez audio on specific devices (which is still experimental at this stage) please post your device details and info files in the appropriate thread (http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8735-requests-for-hi-res-support/). Thanks.

What is not working about Search for you? I even see separation of albums based on the Album Artist tag now, which is new (and a little confusing if any of my tags are incorrect!). You can use List options to reduce the amount of results returned by the way (if you only want to see matching Song titles listed, rather than Album titles or Genres, for example)

Andre

10 hours ago, hyperexodus said:

I can't seem to get the 702 build .apk file installed on my LG G4. It's running stock Android 6.0 and I have allowed installation from Unknown Sources. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Thanks.

My apologies and it's resolved. It was a second security tool that was blocking the "Untrusted Source" install earlier.

Would it be possible to have Hi-Res output change the audio output sample rate based on the current file (eg, another option under sample rate labelled auto)? Samsung's output seems to support most of the popular sample rates, and this would eliminate resampling in most cases.

I also noticed that on my S6 playing audio with UHQA output changes cpu behaviour, locking minimum frequencies quite high. Looks like some QOS thing, probably related to the previous reports of some (other, non-Samsung) devices having stuttering with Hi-Res output and screen off. Just so people are aware that UHQA might reduce battery life, (and no the developer probably can't do anything about it).

1 hour ago, marts30 said:

My only real problem with 702 so far is the album art won't display when I close and open Poweramp, works again once I skip a song.

I've seen that happen occasionally too, where I get blank art on loading until the first track change, after which it shows correctly again.

Andre

On 4/10/2016 at 6:32 AM, dwang040 said:

One finally thing about Poweramp in general. When playing music, without dvc, does Poweramp tend to exaggerate the bass by default?

No of course. Why it will do that?

You can see more "basses" in visualization just because there is much more energy in bass frequencies in average music audio.

Too bright??? But it's a black layout! (or are you talking about the Visualisation patterns screen, which can be turned off if you don't like it)

If you signed up as a Google tester, just deactivate the test on the same page you activated it (https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.audioplayer).

If you installed it manually, just un-install and re-install the release build (using the database backup you made before starting if you want to keep your settings).

Andre

The Alpha works great on the Galaxy s7 Edge (Exynos)

One thing I notice is that the "play the last song to the end" option from the Sleeptimer does not work anymore. The sound strictly stops after the chosen time.

Archived