Poweramp alpha-build-702

maxmp

Please see here for latest Poweramp v3 release:

https://forum.powerampapp.com/forum/18-poweramp-release-discussion/

============================================================================

Poweramp alpha2 build-702
Google Play testing Opt-in URL: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.audioplayer 

This is alpha version of upcoming major Poweramp release. Please make backup of your existing Poweramp app/settings/db before installation as you won't be able to rollback to Poweramp v2 without alpha uninstallation, causing settings to be lost.

This version is focused on Hi-Res output and Album Artist support.
You can install it over your existing v2 or v3-alpha1 installation (your purchase and settings will be carried over).
At this time, only ARM processors are supported. We'll add Intel support for later beta builds.
Min. supported Android: 4.1.
Skins are disabled in alpha as UI is partially changed and there is no point in (re-)building skins now.

This build fixes issues reported for 701:
- some non-english tags are better handled for mp3
- non-rectangular embed art is handled properly in notification
- fixed album art when playing Playlists and Queue
- dsf files should be played without extra click between them
- resume after bt call is adjusted a bit 
- issue with MusicFX button should be resolved now
- typos fixed
- eq preset assignment for usb/other outputs

Alpha-2:
- experimental Hi-Res output for 24bit 96/192khz phone internal DAC and USB DACs where supported by device
- external USB DAC support for 24bit 96khz (Android 5.0) and 24bit 96/192khz (Android 6.0) via AudioTrack output 
- output plugins are assignable per specific output (headset, speaker, USB DAC, etc.)
- output settings, such as sample rate, sample format and few other advanced options are available per various output/device combinations
- detailed audio system information available via right drawer top (i) icon
- actual output bit width/sample rate, output device is shown under frequency response view in right drawer and equalizer screen
- greatly improved spectrum visualization synchronization to audio
- visualization delay option is per output now as well
- visualization preset advance/shuffle by time
- USB OTG storage access @ Android 6.0 via Storage Access Framework
- audiofocus volume duck option
- experimental support for wired headset button long press (Android 5.0+)
- headset button beep is played ASAP 
- 30/50/100 volume levels (Settings/Audio/Advanced Tweaks)
- custom volume panel (Settings/Audio/Advanced Tweaks)
- Album Artist tag support. Albums are grouped based on Album Artist tag, where available. Album Artists category added as well (hidden by default). 
- Settings / Folders/Library / Lists / Join Albums option

Known Issues:
- scrobbling can fail sometimes for some scrobbling apps

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alpha2 F.A.Q.

Q. Poweramp v2 always has been able to play Hi-Res Audio, what is actually added in Alpha2?

A. Poweramp v2 can decode Hi-Res Audio, but it's always resampled back to 16bit/48 (or 44.1) khz as previously device+ROM combination couldn't output more than that.

Alpha2 build can actually output Hi-Res (24bit/192khz, depedning on the device) via smartphone Hi-Res DAC to wired headset/headphones.

Q. What smartphones have internal Hi-Res DAC?

A. Samsung Galaxy (S5/S6/S7 and variants), Note4/5 

LG G2/3/4, V10

Sony Z3/Z4/Z5 and variants

HTC One A9/M9

Some MTK based devices (with appropriate hardware and ro.mtk_besloudness_support=1) (e.g. Highscreen Boost3).

All the above devices should be on Android 5+, with the exception of LG G2, which is Hi-Res capable on Android 4.4.

The bold ones are tested/confirmed. Due to the variety in Hi-Res implementations, internal Hi-Res can also work on devices not listed here. If you open Poweramp Audio Settings => Output and you can see Wired Headset/AUX in Hi-Res Output (Experimental), then it's supported.

Poweramp alpha2 actually implements multiple Hi-Res variants:

- Snapdragon variant (LG/Sony/HTC devices). (Btw. many Snapdragon-based devices actually has Hi-Res capable hardware (e.g. latest Nexuses), but it's disabled in software)

- Samsung UHQA variant (it's a separate codepath even on Samsung Snapdragon-based devices)

- Sony Hi-Res variant (96khz only, Sony can also do 192khz in Snapdragon-variant mode - without DVC)

- MTK variant

- USB DAC variant (external Hi-Res DACs)

The DVC option is supported on some devices (Samsungs, Sonys, MTKs, USB DACs), but not on others (HTCs, LGs)

Q. Are these devices actually output Hi-Res audio or is this fake?

These are Frequency Analysis screenshots taken by capturing Poweramp alpha2 while playing 0-96khz sine sweep, encoded as 24bit/192khz flac on Headset/AUX output with Hi-Res capable sound card (Asus X5) @ 192khz.

Samsung S6 Edge:

s6edge.png

Samsung S7 Edge (Exynos):

s7edge.png

Sony Z5 Premium (it's DVC capable output is only 96khz, it can do 192khz output as well, though, w/o DVC):

sonyz5p.png

Q. What about planned UI changes?

A. I'm on it and that will be focus of the next release (that would be beta1). And the last beta would be beta2 with Remote Playback/Cloud Storages support.

1 hour ago, TheWeeknd said:

How do i opt in, it mentions something with invites?

That's only needed if you want to download from Google for some reason. For registered users here on this site, it's much easier to download directly from the 'Downloads' tab at the top of the page.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

That's only needed if you want to download from Google for some reason. For registered users here on this site, it's much easier to download directly from the 'Downloads' tab at the top of the page.

Andre

The provided APK did not parse, so I tried gplay tester and it works now

Just registered to say thanks! I REALLY like the 100 volume stepping. I've been longing for any player to be able to provide this feature!

One thing; I'm using Exynos Note 4, and I read several articles already that it should support 24/192, but Samsung only sampling them to 16/48 no matter what the music player is. Now that the new alpha feature provides a hi-res option, I gave it a try. It gave me a tick, or probably knocking sound in certain interval, even though I set it to 24/48. I understand it's experimental, but I just want to share and ask something. Any idea?

Keep up the good work.

I'm using Poweramp for years now and while i'm notorious to try out audio players on the market or give a chance to the default audio player with every new device, i'm always come back because the sound quality is simply superior.

The V3 alpha is a good step towards even better sound quality and new features. I'm not that interested in material design as i think that Poweramp is looking good for my eyes and what is count that the functionality, bug-free workign and sound quality.

Apart from sometimes the bluetooth audio is not continuing after incoming phone calls, it's working good for me.

I normally prefer my system to be as clean as possible but i don't get why the default audio player can not be equipped with decent features and good sound quality.

Btw, thanks for your efforts !

4 hours ago, foxsprout said:

Just registered to say thanks! I REALLY like the 100 volume stepping. I've been longing for any player to be able to provide this feature!

I actually don't see these two options in my menu at all (Note 3 running Android 4.,4.2):

• - 30/50/100 volume levels (Settings/Audio/Advanced Tweaks)
  • - custom volume panel (Settings/Audio/Advanced Tweaks)

Are they there for everyone else?

Andre

1 hour ago, Levus said:

Apart from sometimes the bluetooth audio is not continuing after incoming phone calls, it's working good for me.

Yes, I've just found that too, alpha2 still doesn't always auto-resume Bluetooth playback after a phone call.

However on the plus side, the very much more annoying bug in alpha1 which caused the track position to be reset to zero on every bluetooth disconnect has gone! That one was very annoying if you're listening to a long audio track spread across several shorter car journeys!

Andre

28 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I actually don't see these two options in my menu at all (Note 3 running Android 4.,4.2):

Andre

they are there for me, 5.1.1 Note 5

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

There for me too (5.1.1 note 4)

14 minutes ago, sakiszzr said:

There for me too (5.1.1 note 4)

Maybe it's only available on Lollipop and above then? I guess I'm going to have to 'upgrade' to that at some point, but I really don't like a lot of the new things thing introduced with Android 5. :(

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

It's available for me, located just below Direct Volume Control and just above MusicFX. I'm not sure why it isn't available in yours.

2 hours ago, decipher said:

ever since alpha 01, I've been having some lag whenever I bring down the notification panel while on the "now playing" screen, sort of get to 10 fps. Is this a known issue? what can I do to solve this?

I think it's the cost for using visualizer, since it's gpu-intensive

Archived