Poweramp v3 - can no longer test

Tristan Young

Unfortunately I can no longer test Poweramp v3.

It's a matter of safety, a desire to avoid fines, and extreme inconvenience.

The bluetooth bugs create a complication.  If I was playing through the headphone jack 100% of the time, and not accepting phone calls, then it would be less of a problem, but the fact is Poweramp is no longer a player I can use with respect to motor vehicles, and is a liability.  I can't be fiddling with my phone while I'm driving (I don't, and I don't want to start either).  Unfortunately my testing time is often my driving time.

Adjusting my play position, trying to cue up my last play position, or trying to resume the music after a phone call could land me with a fine, even if I'm in a parking lot or drive-through.  I am tired of hearing the first 30 minutes of the same mix every time I start my car.  I am forced to revert to Poweramp v2 and discontinue testing of the alpha.

When the next Poweramp alpha rolls out, I will try it once again, and update my bug reports.

I'd like to continue testing, to help make the product better.

I suggest Poweramp v3 alphas should be able to be easily installed in parallel to the v2 releases.  This way people like me can still easily test Poweramp alphas, and easily fall-back to Poweramp v2 when the alpha is not compatible in some way.  That way people like me can continue testing.

If you're listening to a 90 minute podcast, or a radio show, then even 5 minutes out is a bit of a problem. It's especially annoying if, like me, you often make short 5-minute journeys and want to listen to your podcasts in segments. :)

And the scan speeding up if you keep your finger on the phone screen is indeed a good idea.... but keeping your finger resting on a specific place on a touch-screen for more than a few seconds while driving along, and then trying to watch that screen to see how far the little line has got to.... maybe not such a good idea!

Andre

If you have music controls in you car you could just hold the next title button to fast forward in an song

I have a bug report out on this feature, because it doesn't work.

With a bluetooth audio device connected (car headunit), pressing and holding the forward and reverse buttons on the headunit should cue and review through the current media item, however it skips to the next media item, rather than staying within the current media item.

It works fine if you're not connected via bluetooth.  I can press the forward/reverse buttons on-screen my smartphone, and they function properly.  As soon as the bluetooth connects, things go sour.  It also works fine in Poweramp v2.

My average media item is over an hour long, with many mixes lasting 1.5 to 2 hours.

I am not giving up on Poweramp, I just can't compromise safety on the road to test the alpha in its current state.

If you're listening to a 90 minute podcast, or a radio show, then even 5 minutes out is a bit of a problem. It's especially annoying if, like me, you often make short 5-minute journeys and want to listen to your podcasts in segments. :)

And the scan speeding up if you keep your finger on the phone screen is indeed a good idea.... but keeping your finger resting on a specific place on a touch-screen for more than a few seconds while driving along, and then trying to watch that screen to see how far the little line has got to.... maybe not such a good idea!

Andre

... and if you go over a bump, you could end up skipping to the next media item. 

I think the point is it's dangerous to fiddle when we should be concentrating on the road.  The user shouldn't have to fast-forward each time they turn on their car.

The play position is reset to the beginning of the media item both when the bluetooth audio device connects and after it disconnects, so if I want to continue to listen to it in the house, at work or in the car, I have to fast-forward back to the last play position every time.

In any case, I love Poweramp, and I'll alpha-test the next build.

I have the same problem.I just went back to the previous version even though i very much like to participate in the testing.The idea of touching my phone everytime i have call and the music not resuming back is frustrating.I hope the bluetooth issue is solve together with the album artists.Will surely try again when next  it's updated.

No, it's either-or I'm afraid, they use the same database area.

Andre

Why couldn't it be re-compiled to use a different database area?  There's no reason why an alpha or beta has to use the same app directories and data.

Considering alphas are advertised as being potentially unstable, I would want people to test my product as much as possible, yet still have a way to easily revert to the current official and working release.

I used to keep the official Firefox for android release and the Firefox beta for android on my phone, so it must be possible.

Why couldn't it be re-compiled to use a different database area?  There's no reason why an alpha or beta has to use the same app directories and data.

Considering alphas are advertised as being potentially unstable, I would want people to test my product as much as possible, yet still have a way to easily revert to the current official and working release.

I used to keep the official Firefox for android release and the Firefox beta for android on my phone, so it must be possible.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2760965  ( no idea if it still works)

Archived