Next builds priorities

maxmp

Next builds priorities   

672 members have voted

1. 1. Next build should include:

• Google Music Support
    • Material Skin
    • DLNA Support
    • Cloud Storages Support (Dropbox, etc.)

This poll is closed to new votes

2) Tackle some of the long-outstanding "low hanging fruit" user requests, many of which date back 4+ years now, ideally releasing them item-by-item for testing and feedback via regular new alpha or beta versions. These include, off the top of my head:

• Allow some folders to be ignored by Shuffle play to prevent audiobooks, long concerts, radio shows, etc appearing during Shuffled music playback

I agree with Andres proposals.

Especially the Point with the Shuffle vs. Audiobooks in mp3 Format.

The design is at a good Level, my opinon. Function improvments should come before design improvements.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Andres proposals.

Especially the Point with the Shuffle vs. Audiobooks in mp3 Format.

The design is at a good Level, my opinon. Function improvments should come before design improvements.

Simple trick - create at least 2 playlists - one with everything and one with only those tracks you want to be shuffled - problem solved. That's why playlists were invented.

I have created few playlists depending on mood/occasion/activity and I don't need to worry that some long song or something I would not like to hear will be played. Isn't that simple as that ?

Long time user but new around here, some thoughts.

I'd happily agree with long standing issues and features being fixed/added. The real question as a user is what do you want prioritised, design which takes a lot of time and adds no functionality (and little payback) or fixes and improvements.

We all want individual things, I'd love GPM support but as Google doesn't officially allow this it often breaks when GPM updates. I'd love Chromecast support but these are massive tasks to undertake, I'm more than happy with the app as it is(its the best music player around), I'll take the tortoise over the hare everytime, keep up the excellent work!

Simple trick - create at least 2 playlists - one with everything and one with only those tracks you want to be shuffled - problem solved. That's why playlists were invented.

Great tip. That would work well on a relatively static music collection, but perhaps not so effectively if you keep changing and adding songs/albums, which a lot of people (including me) tend to do. Sadly playlists are not (as yet anyway) dynamic so you'd need to insert every new track into the playlist too, which is a bit of a faff - especially with 4,000+ songs in the list. One useful thing though is that the most regularly changed items would probably be news/podcasts/etc, which you wouldn't want in the shuffleable playlist anyway, so at least those wouldn't need adding.

However, and this is the biggie, the playlist trick would only work effectively with an All Songs shuffle - but Poweramp's Shuffle system also supports shuffling Albums but keeping the individual songs within each album in the correct order (or vice versa). That would not work with a long 'almost everything' playlist, as you could only play it consecutively as per the list, or fully Shuffled.

As it happens by the way, I normally do exactly what you were outlining during the run up to Christmas: once all my Xmas-related folders have been re-added to my SD Card at the start of December, I use a playlist containing the contents of all of them which I can play in Shuffled order if I want, or select tracks manually otherwise.

Andre

I haven't voted because I don't want all of them. If I had to choose, I would choose material design though, not because I want it, but because I'd like to see Poweramp have a nice, modern, sleek look. I like the way Poweramp works, so I wouldn't like to see alot change in the UX. This also the reason why I don't like other music applications, including the standard one delivered with my device. New functionality would be also nice, but I'm sure this wil happen. 

I have been using Poweramp for 3 years. Moreover, I have Jetaudio Plus, Music Folder Player Full and Blackplayer Ex. When comparing with these programs, Poweramp should be in material skin, and included preamp and 432 Hz mode, furthermore; volume gesture like Music Folder Player Full

Maybe you could expose data source as an API and let people create plugins to access DLNA, Google Music, Dropbox, Box, Mega, gDrive, ssh, ftp, smb or even scraping some websites (like my favourite bandcamp). Just provide some reference, open source plugin for some simple Cloud Storage (dropbox should be quite simple ;) ) and then you could focus on polishing The App look'n'feel. Then when you finish with it get back to data source and check what data source is missing or poor quality and fix it.

From the options above I'd say Cloud Storage Support but in truth none of the options even come close to things like export/import of EQ presets and settings or an update of the lock screen to one that dynamically adds features to the ROMs' stock music one, thus allowing for things like spectrum analyzer or the full-screen album overlay etc to work while adding Poweramp extra functionality like the next & previous album/playlist/folder buttons or the seekbar.

When you say "A lot of buttons and gadgets on the player UI" do you mean you want more features there, or that you think the art area is getting a bit too cluttered already? I'm leaning towards the latter, and have asked Max if for greater clarity he could allow users a bit more control over what is shown, allowing various icons and buttons to be either auto-hidden or disabled if not required (like the old Hide Panels feature, but with more control).

I did suggest a while back that tapping on the Repeat or Shuffle buttons could become 'on/off' toggles, with long-press being used to select the actual mode from a list (on the basis that although each Shuffle mode is useful when you know how they work, many people tend to work mainly in one mode, so turning that mode on or off easily makes more sense than being forced to cycle through five items each time). The long-press part is available already, but not the on/off toggle. Would that make more sense to you? A number of users have asked over the years for single-track playback to be added to the Repeat options (i.e. stop at the end of each track, so that you need to tap Play again to hear the next track) which would seem an easy thong to add too.

Andre

Apologies I should have been more clear. I would like to see less items in the Player UI (i.e. it's getting quite cluttered). For example, personally I don't use the rating system at all, and that's because it doesn't sync back to my computer (not Poweramp's fault at all, more iTunes not having support for Android).

And it would be amazing if you could make the Repeat/Shuffle buttons on/off as well. Repeat All/None, Shuffle List/Songs or Shuffle none.

I think it would be good for you guys to know specific use cases of Poweramp from your users, so I start with myself.

- I use iTunes to manage my music and have about ~40GB mostly MP3s on my Macbook.

- I use iTunes to rate the music and use smart playlists to only sync a selection of that music to my devices including my phone where Poweramp is installed.

- I use iSyncr to sync the iTunes playlists/songs with my phone (Nexus 6P). These songs are copied into a folder called Music.

- I also have a download folder for music that's not yet organised (like Singles from my native tongue). This folder is synced to my phone using Syncthing. These songs are copied into a folder called New Music.

In PA, I set my folder page to look at music only in the New Music folder, while the library loads music on from the Music folder. In the library, I only care about the following menu items:

- All songs, --> I only use this to Shuffle All music.

- Artists,

- Playlists

Suggestions:

- It would be best if we had a settings to put the Folders section as a menu there and merge the two tabs into one.

- Option of hiding Recently Player and Recently Added categories.

- Replace All Songs with Shuffle All possibly. Most people have 100s/1000s of music files on the device and it doesn't make sense to navigate the list that long at all.

- Also, a larger button to have to go to the Player UI rather than the tiny PA icon in the bottom left.

And finally, thank you so much for listening to your users feedback!

- It would be best if we had a settings to put the Folders section as a menu there and merge the two tabs into one.

- Option of hiding Recently Player and Recently Added categories.

- Replace All Songs with Shuffle All possibly. Most people have 100s/1000s of music files on the device and it doesn't make sense to navigate the list that long at all.

Lots of great input in your post - and boy do you have a complicated syncing process going on there!!! :)

I fully agree that 'Folders' really needs to be just another option within the Library categories along with Albums, Artists, etc. Then that bottom bar in the Library screen would become a modern tab control, along with allowing swiping between the different categories without even needing a stand-alone 'Library' list page at all. (Look at me promoting Material Design concepts, what is the world coming to?!)

You can already hide categories you don't want - go into the Library Categories view, press Menu > List Options, and untick the ones you don't want to see.

It doesn't really matter what mode you are playing in when you set Shuffle mode to All Songs, you'll still get a random selection of everything in all of the music locations on your device.

Andre

New to these forums and I read through some of the posts voting on upcoming content. I'd love to see Poweramp be Android Auto compatible. I've seen mention of Google Play support, but I guess I'm too new around here to understand what that is. Android Auto, at least from what I've seen, one is unable to listen to music on the connected device. It would be great to be able to use Poweramp there. One other feature I'd like to see is support for what I'd call Collections. The ability to store music together, but separate. For example you might have a Rock collection and a Jazz collection or maybe one for just Christmas music. The ability to have these collections I suppose can be done via playlists but that is very labor intensive.

For example you might have a Rock collection and a Jazz collection or maybe one for just Christmas music. The ability to have these collections I suppose can be done via playlists but that is very labor intensive.

There are two ways to do this. One would be to play by Genre. For example if all of your Xmas music is tagged as 'Christmas' then just play by that Genre. You can easily update the tagging on your files to match your needs by using batch tag editor on your PC.

The other method, as you say, would be to use Playlists. Creating a Playlist for all of the content that you want to group together would be no harder than creating a "Collection", as each would involve selecting certain tracks to be added to some sort of a list format - so at the end of the day, whether you call it a Collection or a Playlist, it's basically the same thing. You can add multiple content to a Playlist in one go by the way, you don't have to do it track by track. Two methods are:

1) Long-press on any 'group item' displayed in one of the various Library screens (such as an Album title, an Artist's name, a Genre, a Folder, etc) and then select "Add to Playlist" and choose which playlist you'd like to add all of the contents to.

2) When you are viewing a list of songs (or Albums, Artists, etc) don't select any specific one but just press Menu > Add to Playlist. Then you can multi-select as many items from that current view as you like (or choose 'Select all' at the bottom of the screen if you want select everything first and then remove an odd one of two). Then press the 'Add' button at the bottom to choose which Playlist you'd like to add them to.

Andre

There has been some very interesting discussion on some concept ideas for a Material Design interface from user @Brainscollector which I've moved into its own thread so it doesn't get mixed up with the poll responses here.

Please follow along at http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8560-proposed-material-design-style-interface-discussion/ and add your thoughts.

Andre

Yes, a lot of people do use Chromecast (and other methods of conveniently streaming audio/video to hi-fi systems, etc - such DLNA, or Bluetooth for close range equipment.

However implementing it is apparently not quite as simple as it might appear as it's not easily capable of supporting the very high quality audio that Poweramp wishes to be associated with (although to be fair the same applies with Bluetooth). Here's Max's comment on the subject from a few days ago:

Chromecast streaming is very easy for mp3/mp4 and flac (low res) without further processing. As for all other formats Poweramp supports, it's close to impossible. And I really don't want to pack Poweramp with features that don't work. DLNA and cloud support, plus Google Music, is much more doable in timely manner, I have these modules ready and I just need to integrate them.

Chromecast limited module exists also, but requires more work to make it play all the formats with all the DSP options PA can apply. Also, Poweramp is more about the actual playback, not about controlling remote devices, it has own audio engine, DSP, etc., and that is not what Chromecast is focused for.

I believe he does have some code implemented and almost ready for testing, but I don't know what formats it will support.

Andre

Archived