Poweramp uninstalls itself after a reboot?

Hey there guys, firstly, here's my info:

Poweramp version and build number: 2.0.10 build 581 play (full version)
Your device model: HTC One M8 Google Play Edition (regular Google launcher)
Your Android version: 6.0
Your Custom ROM name/version (if you're on custom ROM): N/A

I'm having a major issue with Poweramp, it uninstalls itself automatically after I reboot my phone!

Here are the steps I take to reproduce this:
  1. Install Poweramp Trial & Unlocker

Screenshot_20151115_221945.png

2. Power Off the phone
  3. Power On the phone
  4. Watch the screen with the Poweramp icons for a few seconds and watch them disappear

Screenshot_20151115_222417.png

5. If you check Settings / Apps, you'll see that both apps are gone from there too

Screenshot_20151115_222451.png
No other apps I have on my phone are affected by this.

Any idea?

Cheers
Fots

• 6 months later...

Any word on this issue.  I'm having the same problem on a Moto X Pure.  I bought the Poweramp unlocked yesterday afternoon.  I restarted my phone this morning and Poweramp was gone.  This afternoon I did it again just to prove that that is when it disappeared.

Very odd, I have no idea why that would be happening! (You don't need to keep the unlocker on your homescreen by the way, as long as it stays installed you never need to touch it again).

Does this unloading problem also happen with the alpha test build of PA which you can download from the website here (see the Downloads tab at the top of the page)

Andre

Bless you andrewilly.  I tried it with the alpha version and this time when I restarted it didn't happen the app stayed installed.  

And for the record my phone is not rooted.  I have a tablet that is so I could use the Blu tooth to run a ps3 controller but I have not rooted this phone.  

It was like after a restart the app disappeared as if I never installed it in the first place.  After reinstalling even my playlists I had set up were gone.  The music was still there of course.

Thank you for the help.  Very weird.

maybe the system also didnt install the app properly like it got thrown into some cache and then got wiped, but it seriously is weird.

especially when your phone isnt rooted.

I dunno whether it occurs without confirmation but another way of throwing apps into oblivion would be adb which obviously requires dev mode enabled, a computer that is connected with the phone and ever since 4.2 an on device confirmation to authorise the computer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here.  Doesn't matter if developer mode is on or off.

Poweramp 2.0.10-build-588-play (Full Version)

Moto X Pure Edition

Android 6.0

Patch Level May 1 2016

Kernel 3.1.84-perf-g329ac5f

System 24.221.4.clark_retus.retus.en.US.retus

Build MPHS24.49-18-4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 4:53 AM, andrewilley said:

I forwarded this issue to Max (the Poweramp dev) and his response was

So what does this mean? There must be something different about Poweramp than all the other apps installed on the phone that don't spontaneously uninstall following a reboot. If Poweramp isn't willing to resolve do I get a refund for an app that isn't compatible with my phone (it's listed as compatible through the Play Store). Should I add this response to my review at the Play Store? 

I'm afraid all I can do is pass on the developers response, and he seems to be saying that this must be a system problem as Poweramp itself does not have any permissions or programming to uninstall itself.

Have you followed the advice earlier in this thread to try the v3 alpha-test version, to see if it happens with that too?

For further case-specific discussions, can I suggest you contact Poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com directly (as I assume you can't use the Get Support > Contact option within the app if it won't stay installed).

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
On 24.10.2016 at 7:52 PM, andrewilley said:

I'm afraid all I can do is pass on the developers response, and he seems to be saying that this must be a system problem as Poweramp itself does not have any permissions or programming to uninstall itself.

Have you followed the advice earlier in this thread to try the v3 alpha-test version, to see if it happens with that too?

For further case-specific discussions, can I suggest you contact Poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com directly (as I assume you can't use the Get Support > Contact option within the app if it won't stay installed).

Andre

So, maybe Poweramp doesn't have some permissions or sighns to stay into android6? I have the same troubles with a6 senseit a109 with "clear" system (without any additional launchers), and this weird is very annoying. Does Max still support his app?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a blackwood a5 with android v6.0 and had the same problem. I installed the app with the unlocker and the widget pack then rebooted the phone and off it all was...

I realized that not only the reboot did harm to the installation but it was also not possible to install any widgets before the reboot - they just disappeared immediately from the launcher screen.

so I checked the app control in settings but all permissions were o.k.

as a next step I transfered the app and all plug-ins (widgets) and the unlocker from the external to the internal system memory. I have installed a sd card as system direct memory but it is of course not internal but still treated as external system memory. so I have put Poweramp from external to internal system memory.

to make a long story short: this did the trick! I first checked by installing a widget which then stayed on the screen, then I rebooted and everything was still around with all settings fine.

I would be interested if this helps others as well and what explanation the develper team has to this behavior..?

good luck! ;)

• 2 months later...

From the android documentation:

Applications That Should NOT Install on External Storage

When the user enables USB mass storage to share files with their computer (or otherwise unmounts or removes the external storage), any application installed on the external storage and currently running is killed. The system effectively becomes unaware of the application until mass storage is disabled and the external storage is remounted on the device. Besides killing the application and making it unavailable to the user, this can break some types of applications in a more serious way. In order for your application to consistently behave as expected, you should not allow your application to be installed on the external storage if it uses any of the following features, due to the cited consequences when the external storage is unmounted:

Services
Your running Service will be killed and will not be restarted when external storage is remounted. You can, however, register for the ACTION_EXTERNAL_APPLICATIONS_AVAILABLE broadcast Intent, which will notify your application when applications installed on external storage have become available to the system again. At which time, you can restart your Service.
Alarm Services
Your alarms registered with AlarmManager will be cancelled. You must manually re-register any alarms when external storage is remounted.
Input Method Engines
Your IME will be replaced by the default IME. When external storage is remounted, the user can open system settings to enable your IME again.
Live Wallpapers
Your running Live Wallpaper will be replaced by the default Live Wallpaper. When external storage is remounted, the user can select your Live Wallpaper again.
App Widgets
Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot).
Account Managers
Your accounts created with AccountManager will disappear until external storage is remounted.
Sync Adapters
Your AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter and all its sync functionality will not work until external storage is remounted.
Device Administrators
Your DeviceAdminReceiver and all its admin capabilities will be disabled, which can have unforeseeable consequences for the device functionality, which may persist after external storage is remounted.
Broadcast Receivers listening for "boot completed"
The system delivers the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast before the external storage is mounted to the device. If your application is installed on the external storage, it can never receive this broadcast.

If your application uses any of the features listed above, you should not allow your application to install on external storage. By default, the system will not allow your application to install on the external storage, so you don't need to worry about your existing applications. However, if you're certain that your application should never be installed on the external storage, then you should make this clear by declaring android:installLocation with a value of "internalOnly". Though this does not change the default behavior, it explicitly states that your application should only be installed on the internal storage and serves as a reminder to you and other developers that this decision has been made

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2015 at 5:03 PM, fgimian said:
Hey there guys, firstly, here's my info:

Poweramp version and build number: 2.0.10 build 581 play (full version)
Your device model: HTC One M8 Google Play Edition (regular Google launcher)
Your Android version: 6.0
Your Custom ROM name/version (if you're on custom ROM): N/A

I'm having a major issue with Poweramp, it uninstalls itself automatically after I reboot my phone!

Here are the steps I take to reproduce this:
  1. Install Poweramp Trial & Unlocker

Screenshot_20151115_221945.png

2. Power Off the phone
  3. Power On the phone
  4. Watch the screen with the Poweramp icons for a few seconds and watch them disappear

Screenshot_20151115_222417.png

5. If you check Settings / Apps, you'll see that both apps are gone from there too

Screenshot_20151115_222451.png
No other apps I have on my phone are affected by this.

Any idea?

Cheers
Fots

I had the same problem. Even I am on a custom ROM . So, what I did is I've installed both Poweramp and Poweramp unlocker apps as system apps. Then they survived reboot.

Archived