Unable to select microSD directories on Android 6

Long time user, first time poster.  First off, thanks for all your hardwork!  This is by far my favorite music app on Android and I've been using it for years now across all versions of Android.

Since Marshmallow scrapped set mountpoints for external storage, my microSD card is being dynamically mounted on boot as /storage/public:179,65

It actually shows up fine in Poweramp under Music Folders, but after I select a sub-folder (or the entire storage directory), it doesn't "stick" or save.  When I return to Music Folders, no sub-directories in /storage/public:179,65 are selected.

If I were to guess I would assume it has something to do with the directory containing a colon or comma?  I can't say, just my hunch.

Let me know if there's any additional logs/debugging I can do, I'm a developer myself so I'd be more than happy to help out.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, we'll see if it is possible to reproduce such an issue, what device do you use, do you run custom or stock ROM?

Thanks!

Sorry, reply notification went to spam!

I'm running the stock Concept M ROM that Sony is rolling out to testers. It seems to be almost entirely AOSP stock with very few additions from Sony so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here, Sony Z3 Compact running Sony's Android concept initiative - M Edition.

The SD card is 128 GB, and was working happily with Poweramp on Android 5.1.1.

I have formatted the SD card, and copied the files onto it anew, but that didn't help.

• 3 weeks later...

Also having the same problem , same Sony concept Z3C Rom/128Gb card combination.

A older 32Gb card works fine, it doesn't have a comma in the directory path. 

So that could well be the problem.

Not sure how Android M generates names for the External SD.

• 2 weeks later...

Also still having this problem... LG G4 H815 EUR, Android 5.1.

Just a note, other apps (and audio players...) at handling perfectly fine this permission grant. This has to be fixed.

Are you sure you're commenting on the right thread? So far this specific issue (i.e. not being able to find the SD Card's directory to scan for music) has only shown up on Marshmallow (6.0) ROMs. Your comment sounds more like the issue with Grant Access in order to edit tags or delete song files from SD Cards.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LG G Stylo, same problem. Other apps find my music, but Poweramp doesn't even see the card. Stock Marshmallow on Virgin Mobile. Not rooted, no custom roms.

Other than your post, everyone who has reported this has been using Sony phones. Could you check what the assigned pathname for the SD Card is on your marshmallow device?

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Other than your post, everyone who has reported this has been using Sony phones. Could you check what the assigned pathname for the SD Card is on your marshmallow device?

Andre

Got the same problem with my Xperia Z3 Compact running Android 6.0.1 Concept Marshmallow, following folder path is being shown:

/storage/public:179,65

EDIT: Tried the Alpha Build v700, same problem presists...

On my Galaxy S4 running an AOSP 6.0.1 ROM my sdcard, as reported via Poweramp, is at /storage/215F-1B08  It's been the same with all 6.x ROMs I've tried (from memory). And reading various internet forum threads the sdcard under 6.x is always in this format IF it's being used as an external device. i.e. as 'Document storage' in Marshmallow parlance. People seeing it differently haven't formatted their sdcard as internal storage have they?

• 1 month later...

I tried with alpha build 702 on Stock 6.0.1 same problem.

TInkering with the app permissions in the settings told me that Poweramp was using the old method of storage permissions found on older Android Versions. Seems to me that unless Poweramp is recompiled with added permission syntaxes for android 6.X, it won't be able to acces external storage.

• 1 month later...

Those that are having problems, how is your card formatted? I have mine formatted as fat32 (on the PC - for cards over 32GB search for 'fat32format' and if you're not a fan of the command line, 'guiformat') and that seems to get over a whole lot of problems that some people have with SD Cards in Android 6.x. One thing I found vaguely interesting was that when I formatted my sdcard (for some reason I did this recently - can't remember why ....) the mount point changed from the above '215F-1B08' to another string, though obviously the same format. Seems this 'string' only changes when formatted - maybe this is why some can't find their card?

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived