Can't play any music from USB disk attached to Minix Neo Android TV Box

I downloaded the free version of this app on my Minix Neo X8H Plus Android TV box. It installed fine without any problems. Unfortunately, I can't play any of my music with it.

My Minix box has an attached USB drive containing all my music. The app doesn't play anything from the attached disk. I tried to select the folders manually (no go) and even used the Auto-Find option (also no go). I keep getting the message "Folders are not available. Please make sure SD card is mounted, USB storage connection is turned off, and Music Folders are selected in Settings."  Well, there is an SD card available, but it's empty, I didn't see any options for turning off the USB storage connection (Why would I need to do that since my music is on a USB disk?) and I did select Music Folders in settings. Strange that I can see my music folders, but can't play anything from them.

I'm not sure what the deal is, since I can access & play music from other apps on my Minix box using the same source.

it looks like a great app and lots of the reviews I've read are very positive, but if it can't play music from a USB drive attached to my Minix box, then it's completely of no use to me.

Any suggestions?

Are you saying that you can see the USB Drive's folders within your device's file system when you go into Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders, and you can tick the folder you need, but when you then ask Poweramp to do a Full Rescan nothing shows up in the songs list?

As a test, could you try moving some music to the device's regular storage area and see if it plays OK from there?

Andre

Hi Andre,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, that's correct. When I go to "Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders", I can tick the folder I need. However, when I do a Full Rescan, nothing shows up in the songs list.

The device only allows me to copy files to and from attached USB storage or the SD card. I copied music to the SD card and tried, but no luck, same problem. Copying to the device's internal storage simply fails (since the device is not rooted).

I tried something else. I used ES File Explorer, selected a song and clicked on it. It gave me the option to play it in Poweramp. I did that, and it worked. However, Poweramp couldn't find any other songs in the directory. Playing music through ES File Explorer seems to work only one song at a time.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I can play music from that USB drive with other music apps. A few of them automatically find and catalog all the music.

I suspect that this is a simple problem.

Hope this helps. I would love to find a solution and then purchase the full app.

Julien

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the info on Catlog.

Well, I was all ready to start the process over & take screen captures for the developer, when strangely... the process worked this time.

The only difference that I can think of was that I cold booted the device before the test.

The results were not as expected though, so I will have to search other parts of the Poweramp Forums for a solution, if one exists.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

Julien

• 4 months later...

I also have a Minix Neo X8H Plus Android TV box and I am having the exact same problem when attaching a WD 2tb usb drive and wanting to play music.

I have also tired a Sandisk 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive, same problem. It can see the drive but when the scan finishes it finds no music

If I use Rocket player and other Andord music players, I am able to read both the usb and the flash drive without any problems.

I have no problems with my Lenovo tablet or my LG G3 phone when accessing an inserted sd card.

I am a registered user of Poweramp and I am very dissapointed that there is a problem with the Minix media player. looking at the many posts on the Internet regarding similar problems from other users of Poweramp it does appear that there is a problem with Poweramp.

Please would the Poweramp developers take this problem seriously and make many of the now unhappy Poweramp users happy once more - it will be much appreciated.

I suspect ultimately the problem is with using attached USB storage. I know Poweramp was designed with internal device memory and SD Cards in mind, not external USB drives or other attached storage (NAS, cloud storage, etc).

The trouble is the device market has moved on quite a bit in the past four years since the last major update to Poweramp, and these things are becoming more of an issue now. The current v2 Poweramp has had lots of tweaks and bugfixes, but the underlying code basically dates back to the time of Honeycomb Android (API level 13). In the meantime Google has issued Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, Lollipop, and now Marshmallow (API level 23). Hopefully the upcoming release of Poweramp v3 will allow more of these sort of things to be addressed before we get to Android Nougat, Oreo or Pecan Pie. :)

Andre

• 1 year later...

Hello, 
I am using the same  Minix Neo X8H box.
And I have got the same problem with playing back from external USB disk.
I have just ustalled v3 build 704 with hope it resolves the problem. Unfortunately I discovered that the problem is still  exists. 
The question to the developers team: do you have plans to address this problem?
Regards,
Eric

Archived