Migrating Poweramp thru 5.0 Android Upgrade, Backup & Factory reset questions

watersport203

I have PA ver 2.1.10-build-573 on a stock Verizon Samsung S5 w Android 4.4.4.    VZ is pushing out 5.0 Lollipop today and there are rampant reports of phone overheating or bricking requiring a factory reset or at minimum a cache wipe in order to restore acceptable phone behavior. I have 4,000 songs rated and would hate to lose my Poweramp database. I would like to migrate from 4.4.4 to 5.0 or 5.0.1 as soon as it is stable but not until I can migrate my Poweramp database or have it survive the "upgrade".

1- Has anyone been through a 4.4.4 to 5.0 upgrade straight up and have Poweramp continue to work as before?

2- If a factory reset is in fact the only way to successfully upgrade 4.4.4 to 5.0, has anyone managed to backup, restore, and preserve ratings and EQ setting and if so is it only possible using Titanium on rooted devices or will Helios and/or Samsung Kies work on a non-rooted device?

Note: I have already migrated ratings once before using NEW PLAYLIST MANAGER but that still burns up a day and does not help with EQ settings so no need to describe that in this thread.

In all honesty, your safest bet would be to use a (rooted) recovery facility like ClockworkMod to make a full backup of the whole phone so you can restore the old OS safely and quickly if the 5.0 upgrade goes wrong for you. Titanium Backup can save and restore individual apps and their data, but I don't know how well the non-rooted version does with this task (I only use rooted devices).

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Watersport, thank you for mentioning my app "New Playlist Manager". A long time ago it was promised that a new release would enable developers to update Poweramp databases. So far, nothing has happened but if Poweramp enables this then i will add a ratings export and import/update into Poweramp to my app. I am surprised that this functionality is not part of pa as many forum posts are about this.

Archived