Grant Access

I've signed up to share my experience with this issue.

I am using an Asus Zenfone 2 with Android 5.0

I downloaded Poweramp for Intel devices and couldn't edit tags due to the access denial. As most of you, the dialogue box did not appear from the prompt when trying to edit tags.

I tried to delete a file and the dialogue box did then appear, but I still could not select the external sd card as it didn't give me the option.

The sd card is a Kingston class 10 64GB which I formatted before use in the phone using Windows Explorer, exFAT format, and adding a three letter volume tag, I did not use qiuick format option and the sd card appeared in the Explorer with the volume label that I entered after formatting so the volume label is not blank.

But, I did activate "download album art" in the Poweramp settings menu and behold! All my album art is now there!

I don't know if that actually means that I have fixed the access problem, but as all my artist/album/genre/etc tags are managed in Windows to high level of detail, I only really need Poweramp to add the artwork when the embedding in Windows Media Player hasn't worked properly.

So far, this has been the only way that I have been able to add artwork without moving full album files to the internal storeage, using iTag / Album art grabber (or similar), then moving them back to the ext sd card, which is a tedious process.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It works, great :).

@KingKuno,

Can you tell me how you edited or added the volume label of your ext sd card?

I can get to the access screen by deleting a file, but even when selecting "show sd card", it is not shown. I am guessing that this must be because of the volume label issue.

@KingKuno,

Can you tell me how you edited or added the volume label of your ext sd card?

I can get to the access screen by deleting a file, but even when selecting "show sd card", it is not shown. I am guessing that this must be because of the volume label issue.

Delete a song that is on the sd card, click grant access and click the sd card folder when it pops up. At the bottom of your phone, there should be a button to press with a few digits. After that, I was able to edit tags. Hope this helps!

I got this to work as well, thanks to all the posters. I want to make this clear for everyone else having the same problem.

The way that doesn't work:

Navigating to a song, clicking the 3 dots icon (right hand side of song title, etc.) Clicking Info/Tabs, clicking edit tags. You will then be told that you don't have access to the sd card, click get support, and click grant access and nothing happens.

The way that works:

Navigating to a song, clicking the 3 dots icon (right hand side of song title, etc.) Clicking Delete. (Don't worry, the song won't be deleted in the end.) You will then go through the same set of promps that I describe above except you will actually be led to an option window allowing you to grant sd card access.

I can get to the screen to grant access by going through the "delete song" route, but my SD card is not shown.. I get the option to Show / Hide SD Card, but it makes no difference.

I have read that the access to SD cards is only possible when a Volume Label is used, which I have done, but obviously not properly, but if I insert my SD card into a computer, it appears in Explorer with its volume name...

What am I doing wrong?

My free trial of Poweramp will end soon, and I won't be buying it at this rate!

Ok I'm lost/having the same problems. I tap grant access and I get nothing

device: HTC M8

Poweramp version: 2-build-26

Same here. Went through als the screens, " granted access", but still cant delete songs from wtihtin PA. Galaxy S5, Lolipop. Please advice

Glad I could help someone with my "What to do/What not to" post. I hope others read it too and figure it out, I figured it out after deciphering this thread for a while since nobody had made it clear.

Have you assigned a name to the SD card, as I know some people were reporting that if they didn't do that they had problems (I thought that was with getting the card to initially show in the tree though, which appears to be working for you). Other than that, please submit a bug report via the Get Support function within the app as these issues seem to be somewhat user-specific, working fine for one person but not another.

Andre

Getting the SD card to appear as a location to grant access was my problem. I did have a "Volume Label" assigned to the sd card, but still nothing, even after hiding and unhiding Ext SD card....

But my trial access has now expired so I can try no more.

At least I will thank Poweramp for the free trial period, as it has shown me that the app does not do what I wanted it to do, so have not paid for something I don't want.

The way that works:

Navigating to a song, clicking the 3 dots icon (right hand side of song title, etc.) Clicking Delete. (Don't worry, the song won't be deleted in the end.) You will then go through the same set of promps that I describe above except you will actually be led to an option window allowing you to grant sd card access.

I can confirm, this worked for me, Stock Lollipop on Sony Xperia Z1 compact ;) 

Have you assigned a name to the SD card, as I know some people were reporting that if they didn't do that they had problems (I thought that was with getting the card to initially show in the tree though, which appears to be working for you). Other than that, please submit a bug report via the Get Support function within the app as these issues seem to be somewhat user-specific, working fine for one person but not another.

Andre

"Get Support" doesn't open anything when selected after attempting to edit info/tags.

Can I just ask, was this issue resolved in the end as I still can't get the Grant Access dialogue to appear? I click on the Grant Access button and nothing happens. For the record, I'm new to android and have just purchased a Samsung S5 running Lollipop, so not sure how to delete a file abs from where. I so want to get my music tagged, as it's frustrating not knowing the titles and artists of a track

DDD19, on 17 Apr 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

The way that works:

Navigating to a song, clicking the 3 dots icon (right hand side of song title, etc.) Clicking Delete. (Don't worry, the song won't be deleted in the end.) You will then go through the same set of promps that I describe above except you will actually be led to an option window allowing you to grant sd card access.

This hasn't worked for me:( gutted

DDD19, on 17 Apr 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

The way that works:

Navigating to a song, clicking the 3 dots icon (right hand side of song title, etc.) Clicking Delete. (Don't worry, the song won't be deleted in the end.) You will then go through the same set of promps that I describe above except you will actually be led to an option window allowing you to grant sd card access.

This hasn't worked for me:( gutted

The consensus from present moderators is that the problem is highly individualized and no consistent fix has been presented for the problem. I can only hope this has some sense of urgency for the developers as it is a pretty inconvenient issue to not be able to delete/edit songs at all if they are stored on the SD card..

it is a pretty inconvenient issue to not be able to delete/edit songs at all if they are stored on the SD card..

I agree - but you need to blame the idiots at Google who thought it was in some way a good idea to prevent users from fully accessing their own memory cards. You can get around this easily enough if your device is rooted (I did so myself just as soon as I got KitKat and found this limitation).

Andre

• 1 month later...

I've resolved the issue (for my phone at least).

I managed to get the 'Grant Access' dialogue to appear by deleting a file. Editing the Info/Tags of a file would not bring up this dialogue.

I'm using Poweramp 573 on a HTC One M8 with Android 5.0.1.

It works. God bless u son.

Archived