Poweramp 3.0 Vaporware

Thalinor

Before I start I would like to point out the following:

3 Years of Poweramp

Q: What’s taking so long? When is Poweramp 3.0 coming? Any ETAs?

A: Poweramp 3.0 has been pushed back many times for many reasons. The reasons, more recently, is due to the fact that we found some features that we would not be happy releasing Poweramp 3.0 without. I am working very hard to give you this update, so please be patient. We are not taking a long time because we like to make you wait, but rather because we want to release something great, something that you will be very excited about using for the first time and continuously using it for the years to come. Sorry, no ETAs but just know that if you buy Poweramp now, you will get the update for free.

And:

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/1794-Poweramp-todo-listfeatures-in-progress/page-8

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

A little updated on current Poweramp development state of things. 

Currently I'm finishing with the new audio engine development. Key features:

- 32bit floating point audio pipeline from decoding to output

- 64bit floating point high resolution DSP

- multichannel processing

- internal high quality resampling, configurable output dithering

- improved buffering and reduced latency

- completely open API for pluging-in: decoders, DSPs, visual FXs, resamplers, outputs. Any 3rd party will be able to add new audio stuff into Poweramp via separate APKs (similar to how skins are done now)

The best thing is that battery performance of the new audio engine despite much higher accuracy is the same or better than Powermap v2.

The new audio engine was built with the high accuracy approach, there is no intermediate format conversions, this is basically a studio grade audio processing.

There will be intermediate alpha release with the new audio engine and old UI.

The new audio engine (and the following new releases of Poweramp) will allow quite easy additions to Poweramp without touching the core app by just releasing plugins. Also plugins for playlists (all those 3rd party cloud services and radios, or local networking), better skinning, improved tablet UI is coming with the UI update phase.

Thanks!

Look at the dates on those posts.

Since the first post there has been five minor updates to Poweramp.  That would make five updates in two years, and still no streaming or visualizations, two features you have been telling people will be in Poweramp now for at least four years.  It's been a year since the second post and still nothing.  I emailed you when I first bought Poweramp in 2010 asking about these features and you said they would be added.  I no longer use your app, and have not for many years as Google decided SD cards should be removed from Android and most devices sold today do not have that option nor do they have enough space to loaed up several gigs of MP3's.  I laugh every time you add a new lossless format as its useless due to the amount of space those files take up. 

Are you still working on 3.0 or have you decided to lie to your customers and run with our money?  The only reason I bought the app all those years ago is because you said in an email streaming would be added.  It's been over four years now, I don't think you can tell someone a feature will be added and expect them to wait over four years without calling you on you a liar.  No one can reasonably say that when you tell someone the option is coming, they should expect it not to be added in four years.

At this point I am calling you a liar about 3.0, I am calling it vaporware, and anyone reading this should not trust a word this dev says.  I would NOT buy Poweramp based on the lies alone.  There has been NO update on the status of 3.0 in over two years. Your updates have been total crap and rarely add anything useful to 90% of the people who use this app.  There is NO WAY your five updates have taken two years to make and its apparent nothing is being done to work on this app anymore. 

Do not buy Poweramp if you expect streaming or any further support.  So far there has been nothing but lies, misinformation, noinformation, excuses, redirects, ignoring people on the forums, and promises not kept.  There is no reason 3.0 should have taken this many years and its apparent you are not doing anything to get it released.  I have stated on the forums several times streaming could have been added with a single line of code, which has been pointed out on XDA as well, but it seems you are too lazy to add a single line of code or do not wish streaming to be added at all.  I wish you would have just told the public the truth years ago and I would have bought Neutron Player instead.

See you next year to remind you you are a liar, like I have done for the past few years.  You can delete my posts all you want, it doesn't change the fact you have lied to people and lead them on thinking  the 3.0 release would be right around the corner now for years.  Are you sure you didn't make Launcher Pro?  That dev also pretended a new release would come and did so for about four years before they went dark leaving people with a broken app that doesn't work with any new version of Android.  You are doing the same thing by pretending 3.0 is real, when the reality is that taking four years is a joke and its apparent you have not been trying hard enough to finish the update.  With the millions of paid downloads and an app price of $5, my guess is you are sitting back a multi millionaire spending our money and being lazy.  There is NO other reasonable explanation.  Don't tell people something is being added when you don't plan on doing it at all.  I have bought this app under false pretenses like many others, due to your lies.  You know its a lie too, or you would have updated the blog with something over the past two years.

First of all. Max is working by himself and those things (especially new audio engine) take time.The developer has no obligation to provide the updates at the time that is convinient to you or anybody. He can either provide not updtaes at all if wishes to. You pay for the app as it is right at the moment you bought it, not guaranteed updates. Second, app developers have ;lives too. He's not spending 100% of his time developing. 

There was not ETA. If you want your features...develop the app by yourself, buy another one, or just shut up and wait. 

While I agree that it would be nice to actually see something about the new update, the only thing you should ever really expect from ANY app is bug fixes.

New features/full redesigns can easily just be released as a new version that you have to pay for, much as is done with normal applications.

That being said, I'm sure the inclusion of the new audio APIs in Android 5.0 will change things up again as well, requiring even more changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the speed of development is real issue, and the constant vendor surprises and Android platform development itself don't help as well.

I constantly share resources between development of the new audio engine and new UI, and supporting the current 2.0 versions (which is the priority, as this is the version which is used by our customers, obviously).

The good news is that we can split 3.0 stuff into smaller sub-projects and offload some to additional developers - this is something that couldn't be done with 2.0, which is monolithic and developed/supported/coded only by me.

Also, Android platform is OS that let you develop some working dirty app pretty fast, for example, simple list view app with images - in a few hours.

But this app will lag even on latest high-end Android devices, no matter how good are you and how well you followed Android recommended practices. So if want lag less image view app - be ready to invest 1.5 man-month work. (I've just greatly improved Poweramp album/folder lists/grid butter in the current developed build - expect this in the next update soon).

We continue to work on Poweramp - both current 2.0 and the future version. Stay tuned)

Edit1: Also I would note that Poweramp v2.0 is quite a stable/bug-less/polished app (though issues related to newer ROMs/devices arise time to time) and we try to stay this way. The next versions of Poweramp couldn't be such stable, so we will have pretty long alpha/beta stage.

On the one hand, as stated above, there is no obligation by the developer to provide new releases, set delivery dates etc. On the other, with the large volume of sales, the public may have certain expectations or make assumptions that there should be a deveopment team. I myself get frustrated by the lack of response sometimes. I think that in the long run, the market share of pa will drop unless there are releases with more functionality. This will purely be due to the fact of competition. No need to call someone a liar.

• 2 weeks later...

On the one hand, as stated above, there is no obligation by the developer to provide new releases, set delivery dates etc. On the other, with the large volume of sales, the public may have certain expectations or make assumptions that there should be a deveopment team. I myself get frustrated by the lack of response sometimes. I think that in the long run, the market share of pa will drop unless there are releases with more functionality. This will purely be due to the fact of competition. No need to call someone a liar.

^ this.

just release the beta version and we will be more than happy to test it ... and yes it strange it takes all this time .. i don't believe that someone can make such a great app like version 2 .. can't add those basic features you can found on so much lower music players .. anyway good luck and thanks for making the version 3 an update and not taking more money from us

• 1 year later...

Archived