Placement of the Settings Import/Export feature (v2.0.9-build-555)

Hello to all,

Ok let be one of the first to thank Max and the Poweramp devs for FINALLY implementing the feature to be able to Import and Backup App Settings starting from Poweramp v2.0.9-build-555 :) :)

One small thing though:

I just feel that the "Import" and "Export" should have been places under the Settings > Misc

Currently to access "Import" and "Export" settings, a user must press the android Menu button (Samsung Galaxy) for it to trigger as a centred side menu pop up while under the Settings screen

bW7Yhhg.png

Secondly, there should be the auxillery option to "Reset to default" all settings ?

So to Summarize:

1.) The Import/Export should be best moved to Settings>Misc

2.) An additional option of "Reset all settings" should be added

I'd prefer it to be visible at the top level of the Settings menu to be honest, in a new "Import/Export" section. The Playlist import/export functions could be moved there too, to make everything easier to find and more obvious for new users, along with your requested "Reset to Default Settings" option. Pressing Menu within a Menu is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Andre

The settings import/export is a "meta" function over settings, and thus it goes to menu. The only thing we changed in next build is that menu (overflow 3-dots icon) is always shown even on devices with "hardware" menu button (otherwise it's hidden and is not too obvious). Also, this is the new kitkat ui recommendations, anyway.

Thanks!

PS the better place for playlists management is playlist category itself, so playlist options will be moved there.

Isn't there already an option for that meaningless Android three-dots icon to be visible or hidden? Personally I hate it, and have it hidden wherever possible, as it's just more visual clutter to get pressed by accident. It isn't needed on any device with a proper hardware menu button (and having separated/hardware keys is a make-or-break decision for me when buying a device).

I still think that pressing Menu within a Menu is counter-intuitive though - why would a menu have its own separate menu? People won't spot it there.

Andre

The only thing we changed in next build is that menu (overflow 3-dots icon) is always shown even on devices with "hardware" menu button

Thanks, this is excellent to know and I think the 3-dots should always be shown in the Settings. I await the next build to test this,thanks.

• 2 years later...

I agree on the "Reset to default settings"option.

When, as a newbie and want explore different settings tools,features etc.. it is easy to get lost and screw up something.

I tinkered around and trying stuff . And now all my created playlists are empty. I tried to rescan, and tried to point it to the exact music folder that i have on my microsd card. haven't touched the files but still all my playlist are still where i left them... but empty I think i screwed up something,don't now what...:wacko:

The fact that your playlists show empty can be due to a few reasons. You may have unticked the locations where Poweramp searches so any tracks located on the device are then not found. Poweramp will rescan and update (remove tracks it can not find) its database. Any links on your playlists to those lost tracks are also removed. When you reinstate the locations to search, a rescan will restart and the database updated ( adding the new tracks) but they will be treated as new tracks and you are not able to get your old ( empty) playlist back.

The same process happens when your device is updated to a later version of android where the sdcard is named differently. Effectively the same as removing your sdcard and reinserting a different one.

Difficult to find out what you did but you should back up your playlists by exporting them as .m3u8 (m3u) playlists. Poweramp offers this option under Settings, Folders and Library, Export Poweramp playlists.

I will not complicate things but in a worst case scenario, you can use my app to import these playlists. Your original playlist will be restored. 

Also, If you apply ratings to your music in Poweramp, ensure you use my app to back these up as Poweramp can not do this.

20 minutes ago, Holdini said:

I tinkered around and trying stuff . And now all my created playlists are empty. I tried to rescan, and tried to point it to the exact music folder that i have on my microsd card. haven't touched the files but still all my playlist are still where i left them... but empty I think i screwed up something,don't now what...:wacko:

Internally created playlists are simply are series of pointers to specific song files within the Poweramp Library. As long as the songs remain untouched in the Library, the contents of playlists will remain. However if a file is removed from the library (even for a short time) it will no longer be able to exist in any playlists either. This can happen if you change folder names, move files, swap SD Card, etc. Any of these things will cause the library to lose any references to the existing file, and even if a 'new' moved file appears somewhere else, the playlist can't know it is the same item.

Andre

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't moved any songs or folders. I just don't know what happened..? all playlists were emty... Strange...:mellow:

I ended up clear cash and clear settings and uninstalled power amp and reinstalled it and doing playlists all over again. i got this app " Playlist Backup" that i will try out. Any other good option to back up playlists? Thank's!

Archived