Error! File can't be edited. It's read only.

«schlockmeister»

I'm unable to edit the tags of my music files. Whenever I click on Info tag> Edit Tags I'll get this error message:

"Error!

File can't be edited - it's read-only

Get Support"

And then whenever I click on the Get Support button, I'll get another error: "There's an error connecting to UserVoice"

Please help.

You don't mention anything useful like what sort of device you are using of your ROM version, but I'm wondering whether you might be using a KitKat ROM, and you have your music stored on an external SD card? If so, there's a built-in Android limitation which prevents apps from writing to external SD cards. If so, try the same thing with some music on the internal phone storage and see if that works.

Andre

Sorry about that.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360. I'm not using any custom ROM for my phone, it still has Gingerbread installed. As for my Poweramp Version/Change log, its 2.0.9-build-552-play (Full Version)

Yes, all my music files are installed/saved using an external SD card however, I was able to edit the tags of my music files before. It's just that after updating Poweramp today, I started getting that error message.

I do have internet access on my phone that's why I'm not sure why I'm getting the UserVoice error. I already restarted my phone a coupla times, but still it did not resolve it. Any advice? :(

Here are my phone and Poweramp details:

PHONE:
Model Number: GT-S5360

Android Version: 2.3.6

Poweramp:

Version/Changelog:

2.0.9-build-552-play (Full Version)

I was able to do it before actually. I would just click on Info/Tags > Edit Tags then from there, I can update the Song title, Artist, Track number, Album etc. But after installing the updates from Google Play, I'm unable to do it. 

• 7 months later...

Greetings! Was this error ever solved? I have been a Poweramp user for several years, then a few months ago my ability to edit tags was met by the same error, identical to the above.

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4. Poweramp version is 2.0.9-build-564-play (Full Version).

Thank you!

See my reply above, if this applies to files on an external SD card then it's an Android write permissions problem not a Poweramp issue. It can be very easily fixed if your device is rooted, and also I gather that Google have largely fixed it in the next version of Android (Lollipop).

Andre

• 2 years later...

It's a long time since I did it so I had quickly to Google it again:

Use ES File Explorer (or similar) to navigate to the /system/etc/permissions directory (which needs root access).

Open platform.xml in a text editor.

Find <permission name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” > and add one new line to that group:

<group gid=”media_rw” />

Works for KitKat and Lollipop.

Andre

Archived