Poweramp damages my earphones

yostwal

I use Poweramp on my Galaxy S i9000 & Galaxy S4 i9500. Since the time I have started using this music player, my earphones are getting damaged. This happens anywhere between 1-4 months' average us. When I use the earphones on the app. Either the right, or left, or both earphones stop working! I thought this might be an issue with the earphones. So I changed my Senheisser CX180 Street 2 and bought new CX300 Street 2, the same issue occured. Then I got CX400 and still the same issue. Thinking this might be a compatibility issue between the app and the manufacturer, I switched to Samsung's earphones which came with the phones, and they got damaged as well! I also bought some cheap earphones for the same reason, and even those got damaged. So I uninstalled Poweramp and have been using the Stock music players since then and have never faced the issue.

I have purchased Poweramp about 2-2.5 yrs back. I tried the app on my Galaxy S first. Thinking it might be a device issue, I stopped using the app on that phone. Then I tried to use the app on my S4. The issue persisted. Dont know whats wrong.

I use the equaliser on custom mode, with the settings somewhere near "rock". The bass and treble knobs are set to about 50% & 70% respectively. Cross fading is turned off. The pre-amp is set to default level. Whats going wrong? Please let me know. I want to use Poweramp over the stock music app, without damaging my earphones.

Try using the pre-set settings for a few weeks and see if that damages your ear buds. If you're listening to music too loud, that could also hurt yourself and your earbuds. The is the first time I've ever heard of Poweramp breaking earbuds. I personally have earbuds from $10 skull candy to $300 beats by dre that I listen to very loudly and I yet to experience this in all the years. 

So please try changing your settings and seeing if that's the cause or returning Poweramp to default settings completely and see what happens. I'd like to learn more about this issue. 

in 99% the problem isnt the piece of technic but the user.

And dont tell me that this cant be cause the stock one still work, those are nearly undestructable, my where twice in the washmashine and still work like on the first day.

Hi,

I'm in the same situation. Mines lose frequencies, and so, I can only ear instrumental, without voices. I use equalizer. More than a year I use Poweramp, and more than a year I have to change earbuds every month. (Thanks warranty, that's free ! o/)

Do you use special EQ settings or some other application that enhances audio?

Hi,
I'm in the same situation. Mines lose frequencies, and so, I can only ear instrumental, without voices. I use equalizer. More than a year I use Poweramp, and more than a year I have to change earbuds every month. (Thanks warranty, that's free ! o/)

• 3 weeks later...

Try using the pre-set settings for a few weeks and see if that damages your ear buds. If you're listening to music too loud, that could also hurt yourself and your earbuds. The is the first time I've ever heard of Poweramp breaking earbuds. I personally have earbuds from $10 skull candy to $300 beats by dre that I listen to very loudly and I yet to experience this in all the years. 

So please try changing your settings and seeing if that's the cause or returning Poweramp to default settings completely and see what happens. I'd like to learn more about this issue. 

If I am not supposed to customize the EQ settings, whats the use of even having those? Moreover whats the use of even buying Poweramp? It'd be great if you could share with me a guide as to what I should be doing and what I should NOT be doing when I have customized EQ settings. Or even something like "best practices". That way, if I am doing something wrong, I can avoid it. 

Also, I never keep the volume of music to max! Can it be a compatibility issue between Poweramp and the handset manufacturer?

I am afraid of using Poweramp again. I own Senheissers worth $100 and thats a big amount when converted to INR (I'm Indian btw). Although I have manufacturer warranty, I dont like the idea of going through the hassle of getting the earphones replaced again and again! I guess I'll have to buy some cheap earphones and try this. But, I'd like to mention again, that since the time I uninstalled Poweramp from my phone, I have not faced any of these issues. As for the stock player, I hate it as much as other users (thats the reason I bought Poweramp), but at least I can listen to music without damaging my earphones! 

I don't think it's possible for a cell phone's 3.5mm output to have the ability or power to do the kind of damage you're experiencing.

Typically when a the left or right earbuds stop working it's usually because the internal wires have become damaged either where the cord connects the earbud or where the cord connects to the plug.

How do you carry your earbuds? I would recommend getting a small case you can fit in your pocket to keep them in; wrapping them around your phone or just putting them in a pant pocket usually leads to the earbuds breaking as you've described.

• 1 year later...

I just had 2 sets of Aircom Airtube A1s go bad in 2-4 weeks each case. Right side stopped working in both cases. I never thought the player could be at fault. I figured I just drew a couple short straws.

If you are playing audio loud enough to damage your earphones, heaven help your ears!

Andre

What's that you say?  :)

I don't play music loud typically. I don't know what caused two sets of earphones to fail and not jumping to any conclusions. I happened across this thread by coincidence.

I've been using my IEMs for like a third year now on Samsung Galaxy S and now on Xperia Z1 Compact, all with the same Poweramp and no damage happened. Might be the fact that I don't use EQ or knobs.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2014 at 9:02 AM, yostwal said:

I use Poweramp on my Galaxy S i9000 & Galaxy S4 i9500. Since the time I have started using this music player, my earphones are getting damaged. This happens anywhere between 1-4 months' average us. When I use the earphones on the app. Either the right, or left, or both earphones stop working! I thought this might be an issue with the earphones. So I changed my Senheisser CX180 Street 2 and bought new CX300 Street 2, the same issue occured. Then I got CX400 and still the same issue. Thinking this might be a compatibility issue between the app and the manufacturer, I switched to Samsung's earphones which came with the phones, and they got damaged as well! I also bought some cheap earphones for the same reason, and even those got damaged. So I uninstalled Poweramp and have been using the Stock music players since then and have never faced the issue.

I have purchased Poweramp about 2-2.5 yrs back. I tried the app on my Galaxy S first. Thinking it might be a device issue, I stopped using the app on that phone. Then I tried to use the app on my S4. The issue persisted. Dont know whats wrong.

I use the equaliser on custom mode, with the settings somewhere near "rock". The bass and treble knobs are set to about 50% & 70% respectively. Cross fading is turned off. The pre-amp is set to default level. Whats going wrong? Please let me know. I want to use Poweramp over the stock music app, without damaging my earphones.

I have a s4 and had same problem with the stock earbuds multiple $10 earbuds i had replay gain set to 12 to act as volume boost I figured out it was caused by replay gain being to high and adapt sound  and the stock music effects being on at same time I had Poweramp on so I rooted my phone and uninstalled adapt sound and the stock music fx feature and Google play music and samsung music player and left only Poweramp and set replay gain to 9.0 and  never had the problem again  and now can use my monster ear buds with no fear of breaking them 

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Even I have the same issue. At least 3-4 of my earbuds are broken in last 6-7 months.  I use Extreme Bass Preset with 100% Bass and 90-95% Treble and with PreAmp at higher level. Stereo Wide setting is anywhere between 10-15% and I don't listen to high volume so it is mostly around 50% (53% and in extreme cases, 59%). Most of the times it is either 41% or 47% or may be 53%.

Can anyone pls suggest? Do I need to use very high Impedence earbuds (I don't use in-ear ones but always use earbud like Monk+ or SHE3800 or recently Vido earbud). Recently my vido earbudis also sounding like broken membrane speaker (right side) and I feel that sooner or later it will also break. Pls help.

Regards,

Akash

On 7/3/2017 at 6:05 PM, andrewilley said:

If the sound level is breaking your earphones, then unless they are faulty the volume is set FAR too loud.

Andre

I don't listen to too loud volume. Sound is mostly between 40-53% in almost all cases and rarely I go to 59% level (it increases / decreases 6% once you increase/ decrease the volume). Pre Amo level is around 60% and Extreme Bass preset is used with 90 or 100% Bass and 90-95% treble settings. 

• 5 months later...

without external amplification it's practically impossible for PA to damage earphones through sheer volume. However, if you make ridiculous adjustments to the equalizer you are forcing your earphones to play distorted sound which could damage earphones without being loud.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:23 PM, AkashS04 said:

I don't listen to too loud volume. Sound is mostly between 40-53% in almost all cases and rarely I go to 59% level (it increases / decreases 6% once you increase/ decrease the volume). Pre Amo level is around 60% and Extreme Bass preset is used with 90 or 100% Bass and 90-95% treble settings. 

Jfc you're overloading your poor headphones with distortion

Archived