Settings export/import including eq/tone/rating presets

jensf

PANIC!!!!  I am bit again by my non-rooted S5 upgrading to Marshmallow 6.0.1 yesterday and losing all my 219 playlists! Database is still in tact but the songs are not in the same absolute path as with Lollipop. Thanks to Theolink I can recreate them given many hours of work. I expected to get crushed when upgrading to a new phone. I did not expect I would have this nightmare with an OS Software upgrade!!!!!! Flipping Google!!!

The repeat issue is Android's wreckless habit of renaming the SDcard in each major iteration of the OS which means that the PA database gets hosed each time. I am afraid to rescan for fear of losing or overwriting my database which is not able to be backed up with anything I have found. I have looked for a way to create a new mount point that employs the same name that the database has stored /ExtSdCard instead of the new name /SDcard or the 8 digit name that Marshmallow uses but no luck.

Does anyone know if I do a rescan and it finds my 8,000 songs in the renamed SDcard if the ratings will be retained or will they be ruined and require a playlist manager drill of manually restoring ratings to fricking 8,000 songs. This is simply too much to keep up with.

Seems to me that PA should be smart enough to overcome the new naming convention for the SDcard introduced with each major Android upgrade and do a macro-substitution????  or introduce a feature or plug-in that allows to database to be migrated to a new location.

Also, I used Playlist Manager to write the ratings to the songs ID3v2 tags before this occured.  Will V3.0 Alpha recognize and re-import those ratings into its database on its initial scan?????

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2014 at 5:40 PM, Magadaner said:

It is not there yet, but planned.

It's been 2 years since your post. Has there been any progress? This is one reason I do not want to install the app. There are tons of features and setting the app needs to work. And everytime I reset my phone, I need to send an entire day trying to get the old settings the way I wanted to. And every device is different in playing the kind of audio quality I needed. Why would not I get this feature when I'm paying to buy this app. I'm ready to shell out more money if this is what is required to get a full backup for the app. I do not think there is any other app other than Nova launcher and Poweramp that require so much of customizations and being left out without backup capabilities.

Poweramp is an app where all of one's data and hard work will be lost in every switch to a new phone or the more insidous case where Android pushes out an update and all the data is lost -  when one least expects it and MaxXP and the developers  arrogantly seem to want to make excuses as to why a solution cannot be provided rather than to address this MAJOR BUG and instead places his development efforts on everything BUT securing your data. Improvements such as little UI mods are worthless if one's data is lost repeatedly.

I have suggested several no brainer ideas in this thread. If I was Max I would get someone who understands like Theolink to help.

Concluding that this app is fatally flawed if it loses it's data randomly and without notice after a user spends days to fix only to get hosed again. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on ME!

I agree that this situation is not ideal, however as the only developer of Poweramp is Max, no one else is in a position to design a workaround for it at the moment. There is no 'development team' to look into such issues, Poweramp is a one-man project.

If Android changes the directory mapping for SD Cards (which is the equivalent of Windows suddenly and randomly deciding that your PC's D:\ drive will henceforth be referred to as SPONGEBOB:\ ) then Poweramp's scanner can only see that all the files it was monitoring are no longer present (i.e. as far as it knows, deleted) and so it removes any references to them from its databases - which removes them from playlists, ratings lists, etc. At the same time, it finds and adds a whole bunch of brand new songs located somewhere else. It can't know they are in fact the same items, and that Google screwed up the directory mapping.

I will ask Max again what the status of this issue is though.

Andre

Andrew - at least you appear to care. Thanks for reaching out. Whether there is one developer or many, I have to imagine this is the single biggest unaddressed bug threatening this application. The forum is full of people needing a way to migrate their work from one phone to another or from one OS version to the next. If I were advising I would have Max place his full focus on this bug versus any other development objectives currently underway. If he fixes this he's got an app that is otherwise excellent - unfortunately without it many of us have reached our boiling point and are not going to waste our time any further, and we are mad enough to raise an outcry. It truly seems that the developer is unwilling to fix this major flaw after years of requests. MAX ARE YOU LISTENING and do you care?????

I did ask Max if he could take a look at this, but he hasn't been able to find the problem on any of his test devices (and he has dozens, maybe hundreds, set up). He said " strange that I yet to see this in my 6.0 devices, quite a lot updated for last few month to 6.0 and variants."

Could the people affected by this issue please provide some more details of what happens when this occurs? Device name, the original and new Android versions, and what the full path to the SD Card looked like originally and what it looks like now? So far, no one has posted a lot of detail for him to go on, other than being understandably cross that playlists have been cleared (I could remind people that Poweramp provides a feature to back up playlists, but of course - as with all backups - it's all to easy to realise that after the event, when it's too late!).

Andre

In my case I had a Samsung S5(Verizon) that advised it was going to install update from Lollipop 5.1 to Marshmallow 6.0.1. I removed my SDCARD containing 8000 songs during the upgrade as I had seen done by some users during previous upgrades with success. Meanwhile the folder containing my songs was located in a directory /storage/extSdCard/my_music in Lollipop 5.1 and my database thinks they are still there (see screenshot) but Marshmallow has renamed the SDCARD to  /storage/3337-3137/my_music so the app is saying that the folder is missing when it should be smart enough to follow the new naming convention for the SDCARD used by Marshmallow. If you have other devices that upgraded to 6.0.1 were their songs located on the SDCARD and was the app designed to handle that change in the naming of the SDCARD?

I did not want to do the re-scan and risk wiping out my database as I am not rooted and have no backup.

What do you suggest?

Screenshot_2016-07-19.jpg

Archived