Too many failed files, playing will stop now....

Still not working!!

Sprint Galaxy S4 Android version 4.3

I have tried all the methods listed here - re-installing, reformatting SD card, clearing caches, data etc.

Purchased full version in the hopes of getting app to work and it does NOT.

I have not received any support and feel I have been had.

Tried the trial on two other devices and received the same error!

I am going to make it a mission to let people know how poor the support is for this application and to steer clear of it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Too many files failed" message is shown when more than 5-10 files in a row can't be played. This can happen because:
- no such files actually exist on sd card (files or folder were moved somewhere else, deleted outside of Poweramp, etc.). Folders Rescan will fix that
- sd card is unmounted (e.g. phone is connected as usb storage)
- given files are not in Poweramp supported format
- files can't be read (sd card is broken, files were not downloaded completely, etc.)
- PowerampTrial time limit. Poweramp will stop playing files and on next start it will show Trial Ended dialog.

Thanks!

Google Play Music, Samsung Music Player, Rocket Player, Folder Player and Walkam Music player

ALL are able to play ALL of my music.

SD card is of course MOUNTED or the other players wouldnot/couldnot play said music.

Format is MP3 and as mentioned playable by all other players.

I bought the full version at $3.99 U.S. because reading through the forums that was suggested.

SD card reads everything fine and is fairly new 64GB Class 10. I have run chkdsk serveral times on it. AND everything else reads and writes.

Oh yea, rescanned, re-selected folders etc. still get same error "too many failed...."

So now what?

The above list (by Magadaner) is a complete list of conditions which can cause this message. So at least one item of the list applies to your environment. The most probable issue - files were moved (or path to files was otherwise modified) and files can't be found any more. Does Poweramp play the file when you directly choose it from any File Manager? Does it match it to Folders/All Songs list?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my Samsung S4 mini, but I know the reason why it happens on my phone. ;)

My House folder has 1200+ Files and when I tried to copy more music on my SD card, Poweramp rescanned a few times, then all Tags disappeared and the same error message appears.

It's just in the House folder though, so I think in my case it will solve the problem when I just rearrange my files.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the mentioned problem. I've been experiencing it for over a year now and it's driving me nuts. I've googled this topic for a year, without results and now I'm getting really desperate. I don't want to abandon Poweramp!

I should mention that I've had an 8GB and a 32GB class 4 sdcard, and they both worked flawlessly.

I bought a Kingston 64GB SDXC card in April of 2013 and the card had some problems from the beginning.

First it wasn't formatted into the right format so I had to manually format it into fat32 using Windows 7. Secondly my phone did not recognize the card even after formatting and I had to change the sectors in the card from secondary to primary sectors.

After all this the card was recognized correctly. I copied the files from my PC using a microUSB-cable and everything was read correctly. I placed the songs in /root/Music folder on the sdcard.

After a while, which I can't remember, the card started losing songs. (I primarily use the card for music, movies and my pictures.) I thought I had just forgotten to copy the songs so I did that again, but it stated that the card already had them. I checked with file manager and saw that almost all the songs were 0kb files, but they were still listed. Rebooted the phone and they were there once again, but the problem came back after a few days. I formatted the card and tried copying the files again and after that the problem got worse. After running Poweramp the program stated "Too many files, playing will stop now" or "folder is missing or not readable" or even "Failed to play file! %filename%".

Sometimes rebooting worked, most times it didn't and even if it did most songs, and usually some other files including picture-folders, had vanished entirely not to be seen even in the file manager. The sdcard was being emptied and this is still my main problem. Sometimes I can go a month without problem, sometimes it takes only a couple of days for it to resurface. NOTE: I can go to file manager and manually open the songs one by one and they play just fine.

(Last fall the phone became incredibly sluggish and I had to send it to warranty services to fix. These problems were noticed right after Poweramp started to really delete my songs. )

I've tried everything and nothing seems to work: Factory reset, reinstalled Poweramp, rescanned and full rescanned, wiped dalvik cache and flashed new kernel, but the only thing that seems to work is changing my sdcard. The card isn't damaged since the card reader in my pc reads it just fine. All the files are there and they can be opened and saved without problems. (Except if the files were already damaged.)

I'm currently running android version 4.3.1 with cyanogenmod 10.2 on my international Galaxy S3 I9300.

• 10 months later...

"Too many files failed" message is shown when more than 5-10 files in a row can't be played. This can happen because:

- no such files actually exist on sd card (files or folder were moved somewhere else, deleted outside of Poweramp, etc.). Folders Rescan will fix that

Folders rescan does not fix that. I removed a lot of files from the sd card while it was taken out of my phone and inserted in my computer. I could not find any rescan option to have Poweramp detect that files were deleted. A painful omission in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

same issue and bugs..

Have some music files in the same music folder some can play some can't..

But when use other than Poweramp player (paid version) such as ES Media Player(free) or Google Play Music(free) all music files no issue playing.

I have send 1 of the files to Poweramp.maxmpz and can you look into this.

• 4 months later...

Power Amp worked for a few days after I bought the full version (2 days ago) but after that, I've had the same thing happen. The first time I reformatted my microSD and put my music back on it, to no avail.

Restart didn't help, fresh install didn't help, resetting my Note4 to factory default and only installing power amp didn't work either. Now it won't see any of the music on my samsung 128gb micro sd (this whole thing is SO frustrating). At this point I'd give up with any other app, however PA is the only player that opens and actually plays my flac files.

Maybe I should mention that the first few times, I put my music onto the sd card via the official Android File Transfer app directly to the sd card. My music is on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

I haven't tried this yet but my next move will be to usb my music directly to the phone using the same app and then transfer it to the card. Has anyone tried that as a solution??? :unsure:  :wacko:

If it works, I'll post it.

Ryker

It does sound like something odd in the way the files have been copied and/or the SD Card access. Poweramp does tend to hammer the SD Card, so if anything is going to show underlying issues it would be PA.

Try just a few music folder at first, and then add batches at a time and rescan, to see if you can identify when the issue occurs. You could also try putting some files on your device's internal memory as a test, and see if they work from there.

Andre

Thanks for the reply Andre!

post#15  Note4-128gb SD

I started with a factory reset (no additional apps installed) and a mounted reformat of theSD. Next, I installed power amp and with the phone's usb cable and the official Android File Transfer app installed on my MacBook Pro, I transferred 20 gigs of music to internal storage (android file transfer has a 4 gig limit when sending multiple files so I was careful to watch the file size so that no transfer failed)....Reloading my music, one album at a time to Note4 internal storage, when I was finished, Power Amp saw all the music and displayed it correctly. I played one song from each folder/album without a hitch. Things were fine for 2 days while power amp played Flac and mp3 files flawlessly. Today the messages, too many failed files playing will stop now or folder is missing or not readable and failed to play file displayed randomly. I can also see that some songs are duplicated in the music directory.

Googling "too many files, playing will stop now + power amp" produced posts on blogs about these same issues dating as far back as 2010.... over 1 million downloads of the unlock app on google play... and troubled users with the same issues for at least 5 years... please don't defend the app we all know that when it works it is awesome.... but when its broke, and wrecks music files and cost countless hours of customer time.. Im frustrated to say the least.

I could have been clearer, sorry about that. I know you're trying to help.

Correct, there is no music on the sd card. I think I might be wasting my time. I'm really not sure, because my music has played and failed from both storage areas. What I am sure of is that my customer experience looks more like Im an unsuspecting member of a beta build team that is troubleshooting glitches instead of enjoying the product i purchased.

The phone is current with updates (sprint is my service provider), the sd card and my phone are samsung products, I have started with a factory reset and a fresh formatting, other music players work fine playing music from both storage players. Samsung might say its a power amp issue and I would too. Perhaps the solution for me might come from power amp troubleshooting this. Sorry for the rant. Ill keep checking back to see if a solution presents itself.

Poweramp can't troubleshoot your own phone unless it is an issue affecting multiple users, which with music stored on internal memory is certainly not the case. The Note 4 is a very common phone, so if it was a global issue I'm sure there would be a lot more comments about it. You could try reporting your specific issue via the Get Support function within the app (Settings > Get Support > (menu button) > Contact Us). If it was particular files causing the problem I'd suggest emailing some sample files to poweramp.maxmpz(at)gmail.com, but you seem to be saying they the work sometimes but not others. It does sound very strange.

Andre

• 6 months later...

Same problem as previous people here. Have had music files on a 64gb TDK micro sd card and Power Amp played fine. Bought a Samsung 128gb card and spent a fair few hours copying files from the old sd card and an external hard drive to the 128gb card. Played fine on laptop but put in phone and Power Amp came up with "too many faied file" message's and found a lot of the folders had lost all data apart from empty folders. Tried pretty much what other posters here have done to no avail. Again it can be fine for a couple of days and then files disappear. What's going on?

• 4 months later...

I also had the same issue. I played the music while going to sleep. When i woke up the folder which I played (  sorted in title name ) which initially had 200 songs became 36. When I checked in file explorer, they have been actually deleted. All songs after the alphabet C were missing. I had experienced this same issue several times for the past 2 years. I thought it was an issue with the SD card. But it also happened on my brand new one. So, I figured out that poweramp had been deleting my songs all this time. Previously I tried checking for errors and formatting , but it happened again. My SD card doesn't have any issue. My folders doesn't have more than 350 songs. 

Please take it seriously, and look into the issue.

I had my music file tags edited by Tagscanner. 

Thnx

Poweramp cannot delete files on its own, it can only delete music files after a user-response prompt.

There must be some file-system related issue going on when Poweramp is trying to open/read the files (Poweramp's file access needs are fairly aggressive compared to most apps) but I'm afraid I don't know it might be - perhaps Max can add some more thoughts when he's next on the forums?

Normally I would suggest reformatting the card and copying everything back again, but I see you've already tried that. It's not an especially large card is it (128GB?) as some devices can struggle with those sizes. Do you have another (smaller?) card you could test with in the meantime?

Andre

Archived