Audio cracks and pops

i randomly and somewhat frequently hear pops and cracks in the audio playback, that i dont hear in other players such as Apollo. Even with dvc, tone control, equaliser, and cyanogen dsp manager disabled, and audio priority and buffer maxed out, with next to no load on the CPU.

Android 4.2.2

CyanogenMod: cm-10.1.3

Samsung Galaxy S3

• 4 months later...

There is no such issue for just S3 or S4 device. Something in your device/app/ROM/tweaks environment affects it. It can also depend more or less on some formats (some formats like APE are much more demanding, and huge CPU stealing by other processes can cause skips).

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/1737-faq/page-2#entry17354

This generally includes all possible causes (except may be bugged ROM - yes, stock player and stock player component using apps can work flawlessly, but other audio APIs can be broken - can be checked by playing some game).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the mail i send to report the bug.

But i still haven't got a reaktion.

Mail:

I’m hearing distorted cracks and pops some of my music (mp3). Some songs more than others.

If I use the stock music player (same file and file location) it sounds just fine.

I have tried other headphones but it happens with every headphone I one including speaker of the phone. (I don’t listen to my music very loud: volume 3 of 15)

Also I tried turning on and off the Limit option, used a high and low preamp value, using different audio buffer size settings, turning Direct volume control on and off, and set the audio thread priority on different settings.

Other information:

I use a 64 GB micro sd card (30mb/sec read & 15mb/sec write)

My phone is rooted. But I’m using a stock rom.

I also have a Samsung galaxy S3 with stock rom (not rooted) the same issues occurred on that phone.

I have a paid license of Poweramp.

I really hope you can help me with this issue because i love Poweramp.

Kind regards,

J.Tamis

From the Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue with my Galaxy S4. I submitted a bug report recently but haven't heard anything back either. It's not exactly "skipping", but it's not exactly not, either. For instance, the lyrics sound choppy but don't "slow down" due to skips/pauses. The time it would take for a certain line of a song without the skipping is the about same time it takes *with* the skipping, if you get what I mean. However, everything sounds very choppy and unpleasant, especially the higher frequencies. It doesn't matter if the screen is on or off, or what other apps I'm running (I use Waze when I drive but it also happens without it). It also doesn't matter if Poweramp is fully open on the screen or not. The skipping can be fixed by pausing for several seconds and then resuming playback, but this isn't an acceptable long term fix. I'm running CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.2) Milestone 3, with 500MB free onboard storage, and 488MB free RAM. I've got the audio thread priority set to highest, and buffer size set to "huge". All my music is stored on a 64GB Samsung class 10 SD card, and the skipping doesn't seem to happen in the same places in the same song (I can play it again later and have no problems). The skips don't seem to happen on other music players. I'm also usually playing music over Bluetooth to my car's Kinivo BTC-450, but it happens even with headphones or just the onboard speaker.

Here's a link to a clip of the skipping, hopefully this works:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6z90957iix5lem0/Poweramp_audio_problems.m4a

Saying that "there is no such issue" really isn't helpful, because clearly there IS some sort of problem. Hopefully we can get some sort of workaround or patch going that doesn't include pausing the track for 5 seconds every time it skips, because that gets old really quick.

I was having this problem as well, and it seems to be worse when the CPU usage is high or when I receive a notification of some sort. I was able to fix the problem by tweaking one of the settings in my custom kernel's governor settings, namely disable_hotplugging_media. I am using KT kernel on LiquidSmooth 3.0 and I thought it was a ROM/kernel issue, although it seems that people on stock are experiencing similar things, so the problem may be with Poweramp

• 2 weeks later...

If your device cpu governor is tweaked, there is a chance that Poweramp playing threads will have no enough timeslice for processing the audio. It's optimized for non-tweaked devices - the processed buffer size is about 1/10 sec, this is the best from battery point of view. So if your tweak makes Poweramp not to get enough cpu for that 0.1s slice, drop out will happen.

I think we can add some advanced tweak which modifies that timeslice (e.g. makes it larger) for such modified/tweaked ROMs in some future build.

The problem is that you'll get overall worse battery life.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same popping/cracking sound when I listed with plugged in headphones.  Bluetooth headphones work OK.  This has been happening for at over a year.  I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE, non rooted.  I've tried all tweaks in Poweramp but none resolve the problem.

I'm running into this as well using 4.4.2. Just yesterday I changed my kernel and updated my rom (Carbon rom on an LG Optimus G)

Its very frustrating because audio will be playing perfectly and then randomly bzzzzzz, bzz, pause, bzzz and then continue playing.

It seems like its due to activity in the background in Android OS. I'm only using headphones.

I've tried changing all my OS kernel settings, governor, scheduler, buffers etc but nothing has made a lick of difference.

I love Poweramp and have used it since day one on Android, but I've never had problems like this in the past with earlier Android versions.. this is the first time actually I've had any problems with Poweramp ever!

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks but this problem is still existing and so I finally uninstalled Poweramp. Sucks to say, but after seeing no movement on this or word of a fix, I decided to use Neutron player and this has been pretty much perfect. There was a slight pausing glitch, but otherwise I've been playing tracks for the past 3 hours without any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a palliative solution to give all priority to Poweramp. When I run Poweramp, I turn off all the background processes and turn it on again as soon as possible when I quit this app.

Settings\More\Developer options\APPs\"No background processes"

It's not a definitive solution, but it solves the skips permanently.

I have the same problem on HTC Butterfly s, but it's a subtle ZAP that occurs every now and then (when it does, it's usually at the exact same part of the song). It's been happening since I first got the phone on  Android 4.2 and it has been updated to 4.3 and more recently 4.4. On my previous phone (HTC One X+) I noticed some occasional audio skipping but although it was irritating it usually only happened when the screen is on or I'm multitasking.

Stock music player by some manufacturers (as opposed to Android) appear to use a different audio thread than a third party player; they are not affected by equalization using a third-party app but on my phone it does not skip at all. However, nearly every third-party music player I've tried gives me occasional clicking.

I think Poweramp's output is potentially cleaner than my stock HTC player (Butterfly s has this problem with audio clipping/crackling at high volumes, using Poweramp can fix it a little but introduces this zap/pop problem)

Archived