Why no album length?

defecz

Thanks for the request. Unfortunately, Android system library has no such field per album, so it need to be calculated each time albums list is rendered and that slowdowns it a lot.

I think this will go with custom library in PowerAMP v2.0 where own database will be used and no such limitation will exist.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I really miss this feature, just saw it on my wife's CM12 phone in their new Eleven music player and absolutely love it. Don't want to switch from Poweramp though, this is my one and only favourite app I have been using since my first Android phone. Any change this gets implemented some day?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see that there's a lot of feature requests are pending, but this one is a pretty old one.

I think it would be quite simple to solve: when I enter a folder, Poweramp displays the length of all of tracks. A simple add process would result the length of the album, and would be easy to display.

Pretty please, could you please implement it? Thank you.

I think a lot of users would like this, and as you say it should be a simple enough item to add, given that PA already has track lengths cached in its database so no need to rescan the files.

[Edit: actually part way there already, with the new Settings > Library > Lists > Headers with Meta option. However so far you only get the total list running time included in Playlists view]

Andre

Andre, thank you for your support.

I was very happy yesterday, when I saw a new feature in the latest release: "Library / Lists / Headers with Meta", explained as "Show number of songs and some other meta information in headers", but it seems that currently this option displays only number of files (and also year in some cases), nothing more.

I hope there's a plan to extend the informations in the header with list length in minutes:seconds.

1 hour ago, kaci said:

I hope there's a plan to extend the informations in the header with list length in minutes:seconds.

Yes, I only see number of songs (and year for album views) too. I agree that total running time next to the number of tracks would be really nice - and presumably extremely easy to add, as it is already there for the Playlists category. Hopefully @maxmp might add that in a future version.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope it's ok I just continue on this thread instead of making a new one as I have a question/request related to this. 

I'm not sure in which view the "Headers with meta" show the album length, but I for one would be very happy if the album length of each album in "Artist view" would be displayed. I often (or mostly) use artist view, both in general and when I'm out running, and as I often plan my runs to last X minutes it would be of great help if I could see how long the albums are. As an example, in the attached screen shot it would be great if it next to the number of tracks and the year of the album also could be displayed how long the album is. If I have overlooked something and this actually is possible, I'm sorry for bumping the thread - but if that's the case I'd be glad if someone could inform me how I get the album length to be displayed there when browsing the albums of an artist. As of now I have v3 build 860 full version in case this is dependent on the version used.

Screenshot_20200213-222843_Poweramp.jpg

There are a few categories which don't display the extra 'total running time' information correctly in the current PA version, which hopefully @maxmp can fix in a forthcoming build.

For example, if you use the Albums category it works fine and you see the total running times shown to the right each album title (next to the year, as you wanted) and the length is also shown in the meta information line at the top of the songs list for each album. This also works fine in Folders, Folders Hierarchy, Genres, Playlists. However in the Artist and Album Artist views, only the first drill-down level contains that info, but the actual album level view does not. Same applies with Years and Composers. (Also discussed in https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/11826-poweramp-not-detecting-all-music/?tab=comments#comment-81823 a few weeks ago)

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

There are a few categories which don't display the extra 'total running time' information correctly in the current PA version, which hopefully @maxmp can fix in a forthcoming build.

For example, if you use the Albums category it works fine and you see the total running times shown to the right each album title (next to the year, as you wanted) and the length is also shown in the meta information line at the top of the songs list for each album. This also works fine in Folders, Folders Hierarchy, Genres, Playlists. However in the Artist and Album Artist views, only the first drill-down level contains that info, but the actual album level view does not. Same applies with Years and Composers. (Also discussed in https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/11826-Poweramp-not-detecting-all-music/?tab=comments#comment-81823 a few weeks ago)

Andre

Yes, please! I love having this info. Like @void, I sometimes determine which album to listen to based on its length. I used the "Albums" category until "Years" became available, now I use that, but when I get down to the album, the album length doesn't display like it did coming from the "Albums" category.

@void no total time for artist albums (and actually other categories containing albums, such as genre albums) is due to the fact there is no such "entity" (something permanently stored) as artist album, it's some album dynamically filtered by given artist, so there is no "place" to store the duration and other totals. I hope something will be done about that in upcoming builds though. Thanks for the request!

@maxmp Totally get that! I know you'll find a way when there is time for that down the line. I of course have total understanding for the fact that this specific feature isn't the most important thing to implement, hehe. Just another small detail going into the sum of details that make your app the best for this purpose, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Archived