Terrible background noise Note 2

Howdy folks...  I'm getting a nasty background hiss and general ugly sound that is very noticeable with quieter music.  I don't recall it in the past, but then again maybe I just never paid enough attention.  When i switch over to the stock player, it's definitely gone.  I only saw one or two other mentions of it and no real answers in the forums.  Anybody else having this issue or know of a cure?  I'm on the Note 2.

Thanks!

I have a Note 2 on Verizon with a full 64Gb microSD card running Poweramp 2.0.9 build 528 and have no hiss whatsoever.  I have few apps and power cycle my phone every 4-5 days.  These type of problems are difficult to trouble shoot, to be sure.  Have you uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled?  Something to try.  GL

I have a Note 2 on Verizon with a full 64Gb microSD card running Poweramp 2.0.9 build 528 and have no hiss whatsoever.  I have few apps and power cycle my phone every 4-5 days.  These type of problems are difficult to trouble shoot, to be sure.  Have you uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled?  Something to try.  GL

nah, haven't tried that..  I'll give it a shot for sure...  thought about that, just hated to lose all of the EQ settings I had perfectly! hehe ...  perhaps a screenshot would get me close enough.  thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using a volume control app to make the default sound from the phone louder? This can cause the background noise to be more noticeable. I've had this issue with my tablet and I set the app to not increase the volume the noise went away.

I've just had the same issue ironically, when I had a new motherboard fitted to my Samsung Galaxy S3. Fixed low-level background hiss, which was most noticeable when listening to quiet music at night. Was not effected by normal volume or DSP controls, and was present whenever any audio was being output by the phone. It went away about five seconds after the audio circuits fully shut down, with a slight click.

Turns out there is an analogue audio amp gain setting deep within the kernel firmware, and obviously Samsung must have received complaints about the volume being too quiet on these phones, so they just turned the master analogue gain up to near its maximum. Result, the hiss in the circuitry (which was too quiet to hear before) is now audible.

Luckily some of the modified kernels allow you to get at this setting, and I've dialled the gain back from 60 to 40 and it's fine now, Yes it's quieter overall, but no audible hiss - which is fine by me as it gives me finer volume control at the lower end anyway.

Andre

Archived