M3U-Playlists Visible but Emply

DRC

Hi Folks,

Galaxy Note II

Using External SD Card

Power Amp 2.0.8-Build-525 (Full Version)

Power Amp has permission to scan 2 folders on the External SD Card (/Music and /Playlists)

The playlists were originally from iTunes.

Used Winamp to create them as M3U playlists to the PC hard drive (Export Playlist)

Copied the playlists from the PC HD to the GalNote II Ext SD Card (/Playlist Folder on External SD Card)

(Obviously copied the actual MP3 files over to /Music on the External SD Card as well)

Now....

The MP3's all show up fine in Poweramp (under "Albums", "Artists" etc) and play back fine.

I can see the custom M3U Playlists under the "Playlists" Menu in power amp.

However the playlists are empty - (Not Loaded Yet).

I am guess this is because the path in the original M3U playlists doesn't match the External SD path to the same tracks (maybe... or maybe not, as I said, just guessing).

Can someone please give me a hand and explain what I am doing wrong here.

Cheers

Darryl.

If you've used M3U playlist files with full absolute paths on your PC, rather than relative paths, then they will definitely fail on a different file system.

Load an M3U file into a text editor and change all the paths to absolute Android filesystem versions, or make them relative paths if that's an option. To go with relative, I'd suggest putting the playlists into the root of your /Music folder might be easier - but that's up to you. As long as the folder structures within the Music folder on your PC and your Android device are the same layout, a simple global search-and-replace should work (and the resulting file would work on either your Android or PC).

Andre

Thanks Andre,

I will give those options a go and get back to you with the results. It will be a few days I suspect before I get back to this list. This is kind of a low priority issue so I will get to it when I get some spare time. Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Darryl

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in creating  m3u playlists, check out my app "Playlist Manager". It has some nice features and also a m3u export facility. Note that there are differences in format between Unix and Windows. This app offers you either Unix or Windows format. My app also allows you to chose either absolute or relative path.

To play m3u playlists, add the folder playlist_manager to your Poweramp search. Set the refresh option and they will then appear in Poweramp playlists.

Poweramp resolves file based playlist (e.g. m3u) by last folder and file name only. This allows absolute paths to be resolved against android device filesystem, provided that some hierarchy was copied from the PC.

Example m3u entry:

c:\my documents\my music\album\song1.mp3

Will be resolved (if such file exists, of course, and folder/parent folder is checked in Poweramp Music Folders dialog):

/sdcard/music/album/song1.mp3

Thanks!

Archived