Rating from id3 tag?

magician369

hi....

i just want to say thanks to the devs here for making such an amazing audio experience :)

i just noticed that stars ratings from id3 tags are not displayed in Poweramp,it is like Poweramp has its own rating data??is there an option for this i missed?i rate my music library in windows and i want to see it in Poweramp and vice versa.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

It seems like this feature request has been stale for almost two years now! If anyone's interested I finally found an Android music player that supports song ratings between different devices, "PlayerPro".

From their site.

"Import and export music history and ratings from your favorite desktop music player: Songbird, Winamp, Windows Media Player, MediaMonkey ..."

I'm using this app almost two years and I very like it, but now after I organized my library in MediaMonkey and ratings, I really need rating feature in my phone and if Poweramp will not add it I would look for something alse which support rating from the tag (not ratings from its own datebase which is for me pretty useless) Do not see Poweramp that you are loosing costumers promising this feature for years ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, this is plain crazy. No rating to tag function, so no persistence in the music files themselves. And even worse, no separate export/import/backup of song ratings. It takes A LONG TIME to rate your song collection, its unacceptable that when you buy a new phone/ reset your old phone there is no way to transfer the ratings.

This has been a feature request for over two years W.T.Fudge...

???

• 2 years later...

The third-party app New Playlist Manager from forum regular Theoklink apparently now does this, it can write ratings that you have created in Poweramp back into the original music file. PA still can't read or write the tags directly though, it's been on the feature 'to do' list for more than four years, so hopefully soon now!

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

In testing the latest version of New Playlist Manager on android AVD (Android Virtual Device) Marsmallow, I notice that when I select Update mp3 tag, it generates a crash for Poweramp.

It appears to be related to a permission issue when my app tries to access the provider //com.maxmpz.audioplayer.data/.  Anyone using my app with Marshmallow? Are you having this issue? 

I will post this also in the developer section with some additional detail.

• 4 weeks later...

Whao, I just bought Poweramp without realising that I would not have been able to import my ratings from windows.

It took me a very long time to rate my music and to me it is a very important issue.

If the developers have been promising it for 4y and it is not here yet, it means that they were kidding and that are not serious about it.

You will not get 5stars on Google pay from me.

• 3 months later...

Well, I've now abandoned all hope that Poweramp will ever handle Ratings in a way that's even remotely useful... but it's still very disappointing, seeing how passionate the PA community is (was) about this feature and how it's been consistently ignored and blown off. And I guess that speaks volumes of the developer. The app advances to a certain point, it's seen as "good enough", then it's no longer supported (or the updates are painfully minor) and users are forced to shift to another option.

iSyncr + PlayerPro is a combo that's far from perfect, but at least it's able to accomplish what Poweramp has been promising for five years.

The updates to audio quality are amazing, but you're right that the subject of file-based ratings don't seem to have a high priority (and to be fair, there are lots of conflicting ways to do it - if Max implemented, one method then it wouldn't work with something else - and probably never with iTunes, which also uses its own database rather than embedding data, and never with some audio formats such as MKA). According to Max, there's rather a lot more to it than meets the eye and I think he feels it's not as justified as spending his time on making the audio quality better.

Andre

• 4 years later...

There are now third-party solutions to embedding ratings back into files en masse, but Poweramp still uses the database approach rather than risking the integrity of users' audio files and/or audio playback glitching by re-writing potentially large files during playback. Use of the POPM tag - in MP3 / ID3 files anyway - does seem to have become more common and consistent over the intervening years though (it used to be a minefield of inconsistency) so maybe Max will revisit the idea one day? In the meantime, give New Playlist Manager (mentioned above) a try, which can write Poweramp rating back into files as a backup.

Andre

• 1 month later...

Couldn't he just program the player to write to the 'rating' tag after the file has finished playing? That would solve the issue of possible audio playback glitching would it not?

An option to just import ratings from file metadata would be nice too if the method above doesn't work.

I'm not sure why PA can't at least read from rating tags if they do happen to be present. For the most common formats, ID3 has its POPM tag, Vorbis has a RATING comment, and WMA has WM/SharedUserRating. AFAIK, Apple keeps its ratings in an internal iTunes database rather than in the audio files, so they would not be available. A Full Rescan would overwrite any existing ratings with those found in files, just like it does with any other newly-found tags.

Writing back to files is a more complex question as it brings up issues of performance, audio glitching (especially if a whole file needs rewriting rather than just inserting a few bytes into existing space), and potentially file damage in cases where the encoding was not 100% standard in the first place (this applies to the Edit Tags function too of course, but at least with that you know what you are about to do when you press the Save button). I would like to see an option setting which, for suitable file tagging formats, offered Don't Write Ratings Back to Files, Write Ratings to Files Immediately (with a warning note saying that making rating changes could affect/pause current playback), and Delayed Background Write (which would only write the file once it is no longer the currently playing track).

Andre

Some improvements are planned in this regard: there will be a separate option in settings to import and export ratings from/to tracks (where supported). This is planned for "tag" iteration, where few other improvements are going to be implemented, such as safe "mass" tag edit.

Feel free to request other tag-related functionality.

Given that the tag editor can already edit basic Commend text fields, I can't see that it would be terribly hard to allow editing of basic Lyrics text too.

That would have be up to Max though. Personally I would have thought that sort of bulk text entry is better suited a full-featured tag editor, ideally on a computer, rather than a music player.

Andre

21 hours ago, maxmp said:

Feel free to request other tag-related functionality.

I think the most common other tag-related request - apart from batch editing, and transparent implementation of scanning and saving ratings on-the-fly to physical files - is to write downloaded album art back into the file.

Andre

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Kronep said:

Sorry to bother about this again, would be super if we got at least the read rating tag. As there been any progress on that front?

Not yet. You can do it using external apps such as New Playlist Manager though, which can read file POPM tags and copy them to the PA database.

I too wish that PA would read any encountered POPM/etc ratings automatically during a Full Rescan, and also write them back into the file whenever you do an Info/Tags Edit (the editing screen could easily show and allow editing of the number).

I know Max has been hesitant in the past to write ratings back 'on-the-fly' whenever the user changes the stars on-screen due to possible file format corruption, playback glitches, etc, but maybe that could be an optional feature with a warning?

Andre