Support for ext4 formatted external sd cards

Erahgon

Hi,

I had bought a 64GB SD Card for use with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300), and after facing a few issues with the exFAT filesystem, and not wanting to revert to the FAT32 filesystem, I chose to go with ext4.

Being a fairly well versed computer user, I had no problem setting up my Windows system to get along with ext4. On the Android front, I set up init.d scripts to mount the sd card as ext4, as for some reason Android doesn't mount this by default. In addition to this I had to use a mod known as the "SD Watcher binary" (replaced /system/bin/sdcard [a binary file] with another one) to do away with FUSE mounting, which android uses on the internal and external SD Cards.

the init.d script contains the following command:

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage/extSdCard

which I refined to:

mount -o rw,UID=1000 -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage/extSdCard

after some research, where the UID "1000" is to assign "system" ownership to the mount point.

My problem is that Poweramp does not detect the mount point /storage/extSdCard (or sdcard1 if I'm using an AOSP based ROM). It gives me a "some storages may not be mounted" (or equivalent) warning when I'm in the "Music Folders" dialogue.

So far my work-around to the problem has been to add a mount point for mmcblk1p1 to /storage/sdcard0/extSdCard in the init.d script. The shortcoming of this not-so-elegant work-around is that some files are detected twice in the system (Gallery, video player and so on). I cannot do away with the mount point to /storage/extSdCard as the rest of the system operates with that.

Could you please point me in the right direction with this?

Thanks!

Archived