Please update "top rated" playlist (it's useless)

aciid

Hi, first of all many thanks for this amazing app, i bought it within 10 mins of trying the demo - it was already he best audio player I've ever tried on android!

So I spent about 8 hours rating 4000~ of my songs last night, only to find out the top rated playlist for some reason lists ALL rated songs! This means I can not play the list on shuffle, and its pretty pointless having a top rated playlist filled with songs of all ratings. OK they are sorted highest rating first but you can do that already in any playlist.

My suggestion is to add an option in the config to only allow songs on the playlist that have a rating of X stars or higher.

Top rated view works as it should. U can create new playlist with all yours files with 5 stars, sort it randomly and that's it. What I would add is an option for filter files not only by names, artists and titles, but also by gender or rating. Maybe it is implemented, but I can't find it.

How do I create a playlist (how to I select all 4 & 5 * rated songs??) I can't find any way to select multiple songs quickly & effectively :(

Also it would suck if I have to manually add each new top rated track to this playlist because this is what a proper top rated playlist should do automatically! Adding songs manually to a seperate playlist completely defeats the point.. and it'll become a complete pain in the ass with multiple 1000's of songs you'll have to sort through and add to the playlist, not to mention duplicates... gah..no, no no!

I still stand by my point, the current "top rated" playlist is useless because it lists songs that aren't top rated..

All the playlist does is list your songs sorted by rating. This can already be achieved by going on any other playlist and changing settings to sort it by rating also... so basically every playlist has this sorting feature, whats the point of "top rated" then?

Anyone else think this is retarded..?

Guys, it can be done: Go to the list you are in, press menu on your phone and then select queue or add to a playlist without having any song selected.

The app will tell you to select now one or multiple songs and after you've done that yoy tap "queue" or "add playlist" and that's it.

Hope it helps.

Good bile!

Thanks for the request. We'll probably add more filtering options for these playlists, including filtering just by 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 stars (via some checkboxes in List Opts).

Thanks!

Thanks for the response, looking forward to the update :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, it can be done: Go to the list you are in, press menu on your phone and then select queue or add to a playlist without having any song selected.

The app will tell you to select now one or multiple songs and after you've done that yoy tap "queue" or "add playlist" and that's it.

Hope it helps.

Good bile!

Maybe I'm missing it, but anyway to select a range of songs?  Only seeing I can select one song at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpin' in hopes this gets implemented.  Also would like to see an option to export the ratings, spending time to rate songs with no way to use them is lost time.

I agree, also I've lost my ratings twice once when I dropped my phone (somehow..?) and another time when I moved all my audio files from phone to it's SD card. Export ratings would be nice

• 2 months later...

I dont see why this option is even required. If its a 1-4 star song then why would you have it on your phone? I dont even bother rating any of my songs and just delete them if i dont enjoy them anymore.

• 8 months later...

Hey, is there any progress on this feature? I really would like to only listen to songs rated x and above at times, and adding this feature to the list options shouldn't be too problematic. Considering this thread is years old now, I am kind of surprised it is still not implemented, considering it is a very common feature.

I dont see why this option is even required. If its a 1-4 star song then why would you have it on your phone? I dont even bother rating any of my songs and just delete them if i dont enjoy them anymore.

Depending on mood i have many 4 star and some 3 star songs i would listen to. Until star ratings are saved to the individual files though, managing songs outside of the app might prove to be difficult as i can not load the same songs back to the computer with the ratings i have given it.  I dont have time to re rate songs.

Thanks for the request. We'll probably add more filtering options for these playlists, including filtering just by 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 stars (via some checkboxes in List Opts).

Thanks!

Dont forget about unrated songs as well. To have a playlist of previously unrated songs would make it much easier to rate them.

• 1 month later...

I would also like to see more customised settings for the top rated list including a star cut off and use of reading previous rating tags from other apps eg iTunes.

My current fix has been to create a m3u playlist called greatest and add all the songs in the top rated list to it (by clicking menu while in the list with no song selected and clicking add to playlist then when told to pick songs clicking select all at the bottom then add). Once in the m3u list I manually removed the tracks I considered rated too low. Fortunately I had only rated a few "low".

Without smart/dynamic playlists or customisability of the top rated lists cut off I am unsure of the value of ratings in general - especially the lack of sync between the app and desktop players.

• 1 month later...

Hello Poweramp team, shame we're still to see any response....

Many people I think are awaiting an update to the ratings system, as people have pointed out Poweramp doesn't use the file tags to store ratings - I have lost 1000s of ratings once again - for the 4th time - this time due to SD card corruption, this could easily be avoided if Poweramp was to store the song rating within the file not the app itself, so when I restore my backup the rating are still there!

Also in the past I've lost many song ratings by moving song files to different folders... this would all be resolved by using ID3 tags properly, like they were disigned to be used

P.S. Poweramp's top rated playlist still useless as ever...

Edit: Okay just read under the planned features thread "rating sync'ing from/to tags" which was posted in 2011... no progress yet it seems?

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to write a small app for that (and not just that) purpose, check it out in a few hours as it's just published - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desperex.mc

Playlist functionality -

Generate playlists based upon your ratings. Right now it is fixed to:
- 5 stars playlist
- 4-5 stars playlist
- 3-5 stars playlist
- 3 stars playlist
- 2 stars playlist
- 1 stars playlist

This list can be changed\expanded upon request.

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2014 at 4:10 PM, plastileen said:

I decided to write a small app for that (and not just that) purpose, check it out in a few hours as it's just published - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desperex.mc

Playlist functionality -

Generate playlists based upon your ratings. Right now it is fixed to:
- 5 stars playlist
- 4-5 stars playlist
- 3-5 stars playlist
- 3 stars playlist
- 2 stars playlist
- 1 stars playlist

This list can be changed\expanded upon request.

Great app. Please add 4 stars  playlist also.

But when I tried manual sync (push Poweramp ratings to overwrite Last.fm ratings), after 40 seconds MusicCompanion stopped... 

Please help, because I don't have any other idea how to backup my Poweramp ratings... - thank you very much!   

3 hours ago, GerasLaikas said:

Please help, because I don't have any other idea how to backup my Poweramp ratings... - thank you very much!   

I posted a while back asking for assistance from Poweramp on updating the ratings but so far no reply.

In the meantime I have added code to my app to update the POPM tag of the track itself. At least you wont lose your ratings!!.

follow this link for the thread on preserving ratings

Archived