possible? listen to "all songs" on shuffle -> turn off shuffle and listen to currently playing album?

I've been messing around with Poweramp for a while now (I think it's the best android music player around!!) but it's (possibly) lacking one feature I use a LOT on desktop:

Listening to all the songs on my device in shuffle mode and then when I land on a tune where I really want to listen to the rest of the album (The Beatles "Abbey Road" b-side immediately comes to mind) and being able to disengage shuffle and listen to songs on that album .. or at least on easy way to get back to the album without having to scroll from all songs -> artist (a long list on my android) -> album -> song -> play instead being able to press the album art to get to the album or some other shortcut. Is this possible or do I need to make a feature request?

thanks in advance!!

Just make sure you are using 'Album' mode in the first place, then you can start and stop the Shuffle feature whenever you like from the small icon on the playback screen (in the lower right of the album art area). When you turn the shuffle mode off, Poweramp should continue to play the other tracks in the current album in order.

Andre

From the 'Library' screen, choose 'Albums' as your preferred playback scheme. That mode plays all of one album, then moves on to the next album, etc.

Then just click to play any track from any album, and in the player screen you can enable 'Shuffle All' to listen to random tracks. Then if you turn shuffle off again, you will continue hearing the remaining tracks from the same album, in normal order.

Andre

Andre, always beating me to it.. Thank you for being so helpful :)

You're welcome. If I see something I think I can help with, I tend to respond if I can.

And of course that'll leave more time for you and Max to add my many feature requests.... ;)

Andre

Thanks for the response Andre!! That's not exactly what I was asking about but I see where you are coming from.

I typically like to listen to my entire music collection on shuffle, not just a particular album.

I kind of figured it out.. when you have your entire library on shuffle (songs mode -> shuffle all) you can long press the track/title and go straight to the Album. You need to select a song to get it actually 'select' the album (so you might need to restart your track). It would be sweet if you could just select 'album' from that pop up lost and have it go directly into that mode.

Great, glad I could help.

I find those shuffle options within the playback screen a lot more useful than elsewhere, as you can turn them on or off at will during playback (or set to shuffle just the curent album, or all songs, etc). I also like the fact it remembers the previously played tracks, so you can go back to the last-played track if you want.

Andre

• 1 month later...

From the 'Library' screen, choose 'Albums' as your preferred playback scheme. That mode plays all of one album, then moves on to the next album, etc.

Then just click to play any track from any album, and in the player screen you can enable 'Shuffle All' to listen to random tracks. Then if you turn shuffle off again, you will continue hearing the remaining tracks from the same album, in normal order.

Andre

Sorry, I'm trying to follow what you're saying.

On the main library screen, I can view by all songs, albums, artists, genres.

How do I both view and play by Genre > Artist > Album > Track?

so, I want to throw my entire collection on shuffle (not just pick out one album), but if I turn shuffle off it plays the rest of the album I'm on, in order (and continues on through the rest of the artist's work.)

Edit: I am completely confused! If I go to "album" view, I get 700 album pictures. (Not very useful.)

So, I go to "artist" view, and I enqueue my Black Sabbath. It randomizes the order of the songs! There's a song from one album, then a song from another. How do I get it to sort them in order (track 1, track 2, track 3..)

Edit #2: I see, if you add any song from a random album from the "albums" list, then turn on shuffle, it will shuffle through your entire collection. Which you never added. That's one of the things I want, but it makes no sense!

;=; this hurts my brain so much

Well when you turn on Shuffle, it shuffles - what did you expect it to do?

You can also shuffle Albums but keep playing the tracks within each album in order, or shuffle the tracks within one Album before moving on to the next ablum in order, if you want. That also applies to Artists or Genres, etc - so you can set Poweramp to play sorted by Artist, and then select the "Shuffle Songs, Lists [i.e. Artists] in Order" option.

Andre

Well when you turn on Shuffle, it shuffles - what did you expect it to do?

I think sometimes people might expect the app to be smarter than it is and guess what they want, but thankfully there are many ways Poweramp works so always, well not always, works out for the user.

Here's another way that you can use no matter what way your shuffle / mode / whatever is set up.

When you hit a song on an album and you want to listen to the whole album:

- Long press on the name of the song

- Press Album

- Press the Up arrow at the top right of the screen

- Long press on the album

- Press encue

The album will play after the current song

If you want to continue on in your main (shuffled) list after the album is finiished, ensure repeat is set to "Advance List".

Note, this works for artist too but you have to choose artist instead of album and hit the up arrow twice to get to the artists list.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the newest version from the android market but for some reason I don't see the option to choose 'Albums' as my playback scheme. The only way to achieve this is by using BillBrowne's method but a bit cumbersome while driving. Any help would be greatly aprreciated. I'm lost and a noob.

Archived