single play

Hi all,

I'd like to play all my tunes from a simple list and get them to stop after each one.

I can't work out if this is possible - but then I'm old and new to all this!

I've got the app on my Android 4.0 tablet.

Can anyone please help

Thanks

It would be very easy to alter the 'Repeat' options so that 'Off' plays the current track only, and then stops - perhaps name it "Play One Song". Then just add a new option for "Play Current List" (which would do exactly the same as the current 'Repeat Off' setting does, so no work there). While you're at it, it might be worth changing the slightly confusing wording 'Advance List' to something more intuitive, such as "Play All Lists". Thus the options would actually become rather more logical:

Play One Song

Play Current List

Play All Lists

Repeat Current Song

Repeat Current List

Repeat All Lists

No need for an 'Off' setting at all, just those six.

Actually, as the term 'List' regularly seems to puzzle new users, could I also suggest modifying the word 'List' dynamically depending on the playback mode? So 'List' is replaced with the appropriate text - such as 'Play Track / Play Folder / Play All Folders', 'Play Song / Play Album / Play All Albums', 'Play Song / Play Artist / Play All Artists' etc). Very little work involved (none at all really, just a lookup field), but it would make the software a lot more intuitive and slick.

Andre

Just thought of a follow-on to the above...

If Poweramp did behave as I suggested above (please, Max?) what should happen at the end of playing a song or a list? Should it stay on the current song/list (so pressing Play again would play the current item again)? Or should Poweramp 'preload' to the next song or list, so that pressing Play again would play the next song or list? I think the latter workflow would make most sense, so you could play one song or album, and then all you need to do to play the next one is just press the Play button again. I suspect that would be the most common use, as if you wanted to keep listening to the current item over and over, you'd probably be using the Repeat function anyway.

I really do hope Max approves of this relatively simple change and can implement it, as the more I think about it the more sense it makes - and it would stop all the regular confusion over what 'Advance List' means and how the repeat functions work.

Andre

We'd have to get to get Max to agree to make those changes first though. They seem simple enough little tweaks to me, which would make the product a lot more usable and intuitive with very little work, but there might be some underlying reason why it wouldn't work.

Max? Wen? Any comment? Next beta release would be good... :)

Andre

We'd have to get to get Max to agree to make those changes first though. They seem simple enough little tweaks to me, which would make the product a lot more usable and intuitive with very little work, but there might be some underlying reason why it wouldn't work.

Max? Wen? Any comment? Next beta release would be good... :)

Andre

Let me get this straight, you want Poweramp to play one song then stop... and make you turn your phone back on, and play the next song? Just trying to understand.

That's what the original poster wanted, yes. To be able to control when the next song starts playing - so it stops at the end of a given song until he presses Play (or his headphone start button, or whatever) to begin the next song.

What I then worked out in the subsequent post was a much more elegant way to handle the whole repeat-modes/advance-list situation, which is a regular source of confusion to new users. Making the Repeat button cycle through six very simple and more logically worded options would be so much easier to understand and use:

Play One Song (stop at end of current song, in place ready to play the next song)

Play Current List (stop at end of current List, in place ready to play the next List) [currently called REPEAT OFF]

Play All Lists (stop at end of all Lists, in place ready to start again at the beginning) [currently called ADVANCE LIST]

Repeat Current Song [currently called REPEAT SONG]

Repeat Current List [currently called REPEAT LIST]

Repeat All Lists

As you can see, four of those are actually only renames of the current Repeat options, the only new ones being Play One Song (which was the one just asked for) and Repeat All Lists, neither of which exist at present but logically should for completeness when you think about it. It really would make the player a lot more logical for a tiny amount of extra programming work (all it really has to do is stop at the end of a song in fact, the rest is just wording changes).

I would suggest the default mode should probably be Play All Lists.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Let me get this straight, you want Poweramp to play one song then stop... and make you turn your phone back on, and play the next song? Just trying to understand.

Hi....I have the same request although I don't want tthe unit to turn off after play. As a guitarist/vocalist I'm attempting to use a Samsung Galaxy 3.6 in a live performance and I'm needing a "one play" feature. I'd like to have the player stop after each track played allowing me to pick another track and manually start the player.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Did this request ever happen?  I am also a musician wanting to use backing tracks on my Motorola Xoom for live performances.  I also need Poweramp to stop after each song so I could manually choose the next one. I have the trial version now...Is there a way to do this yet?  If not, when please...Thanks, Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know the status of single play capability as well.  Seems like previous versions allowed for single play, but the current one automatically starts playing the next track by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived