Change tracks by long-pressing volume button

XenIneX

I have no idea if this is possible within the constraints of the Android API, but I figure it's worth asking....

One of the (few) things I miss from my Blackberry Storm is the ability to change tracks by long-pressing the volume buttons. I considered that function absolutely invaluable on a touchscreen device, especially since I keep my phone holstered (face-in) on my hip.

My implementation of choice would be to hook the Volume-Up, Volume-Down, and Camera buttons when the screen is locked. Long-pressing Camera would toggle Play/Pause. Holding down Volume Up/Down would trigger Next/Previous after about 3/4 of a second. A short press of Volume Up or Down would change the volume by one notch on button-release.

The lack of this feature is the sole reason I still sometimes pull out my Storm to listen to music, when I know I'll be in a situation that would make touch-controls inconvenient.

• 2 weeks later...

How about having this feature work while the screen is on? Long-Press volume Up/Down to go to Next/Prev track? Pressing the volume buttons on my phone (HTC Incredible) turns the screen on anyways....So, it would not be difficult to just press the volume button...than long press to change tracks.

Archived