Rating location

nascent

I'd really love to be able to use my ratings with the app. They're all stored in an id3v2 tag RATING with values 1-5 and when I see the stars in Poweramp it saddens me they don't correspond.

I'm assuming they currently are stored in a Poweramp settings file, it'd be great if there were an option to read them from the mp3 files themselves if they exist (or if option chosen).

They do have an embedded star rating planned for v2.1 so they should be stored the same way as your current music files... But I have asked a few times about when 2.1, or more specifically the embedded ratings will ROUGHLY exist but they have never replied back with we have no idea or within a month or two..... just silence (which seems like it is often the case in this forum).

The current form of star ratings is useless to me so I'm eagerly awaiting so I can sync only unrated, 4 and 5 stars... both ways

The current form of star ratings is useless to me so I'm eagerly awaiting so I can sync only unrated, 4 and 5 stars... both ways

I tagged a dosen of files... after that i found out that, all my "work" was of no use... i do not know what such an implementation is use for...

This x1000!!!

I can't believe how difficult it is to get music working right on Android. I am coming from a Zune, and I constantly used the "like/dislike" rating feature because it helped me quickly sort songs I don't like out of my 18,000 song library. I LOVE Poweramp, it is a beautiful feature-rich player, but it is useless to me after buying it because of this. I see ratings, I assume it will read the ratings from my files, but no luck. It was hard to find the info that it doesn't read or save ratings to files, so I just spent hours thinking I need to hate on one of my media programs on PC for re-writing all the id3 tags... it was Poweramp's problem all along :(

This x1000!!!

I can't believe how difficult it is to get music working right on Android. I am coming from a Zune, and I constantly used the "like/dislike" rating feature because it helped me quickly sort songs I don't like out of my 18,000 song library. I LOVE Poweramp, it is a beautiful feature-rich player, but it is useless to me after buying it because of this. I see ratings, I assume it will read the ratings from my files, but no luck. It was hard to find the info that it doesn't read or save ratings to files, so I just spent hours thinking I need to hate on one of my media programs on PC for re-writing all the id3 tags... it was Poweramp's problem all along :(

It would be nice if they gave us just an idea of when apart from 2.1! How many 2.0.% are there going to be before 2.1 who knows... I have asked politely and patiently a few times and posts just seem to get ignored in here. I know they can't give exact times because it is development after all but for a paid app I think its not too much to ask for them to give us rough times to expect.

• 4 months later...

I would purchase Poweramp if it supported global ratings in mp3's. My trial just expired and I finally uninstalled it with sadness. I love the app but if it doesn't support ratings then I can't justify spending money on it. I know this request/topic has been requested many times but it hasn't really been addressed recently. Is there any hope that this will be included in a future release any time soon?

Crossing fingers,

Joel

• 3 months later...

AFAIK one of the issues with this is that there is no ID3 tagging standard for ratings, there is a POPM (Popular Meter) tag but most players Media Monkey, iTunes, Winamp etc, have their standards/formats as far as using this tag (if they do use it at all), so synchronising ratings is not straight forward. At the very least if Poweramp does support some sort of ID3 rating tag, it's certainly possible to use mp3tag to convert between rating formats.

• 2 months later...

This for me is a major disadvantage of Poweramp. I agree with lowjoel, saying that there is inconsistency in the way ID3v2 tags are used is not an excuse. Many other companies have found a way to use and write rating to files, why cant the same be done in Poweramp?

My recommendation would be to take a sip of managerial courage and pick one. If some apps are not supported then typically you will find that they find some way to make it happen. For MediaMonkey (my preferred media organizer) there are scripts available that do just this for different players..

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0 section 4.2 "popularimeter".

Sounds perfect to me, and very simple. The iTunes system of using a sidecar file seems needlessly complicated as the extra file might not have been copied along with the MP3 file, which gives me another good reason not to use the stupid thing.

I'd suggest making an option as to whether to include your personal email address within the tag though (and if not selected, use a generic Poweramp email address to indicate which program added the tag). The options could be along the lines of:

• Don't Save Ratings within Music Files
  • Save Ratings within Music Files
  • Save Personal Ratings within Music Files (note: includes your gmail address)

It even includes a personal playback counter (which I would suggest is only incremented after at least 50% of the tracklength has been played). Or maybe use the PCNT tag? (Actually, it might better to increment both at the same time, if saving ratings is enabled, to cover all the options?)

Andre

• 2 months later...

I joined this form JUST to give my +1 for this.

I have spent years in MediaMonkey rating a large part of my library. I would LOVE to be able to sync my unrated music to my Android so that I can continue to rate my library on the go.

I don't care in particular if they do not use MediaMonkey's default rating field, I can easily get my songs rated in MediaMonkey if Poweramp were to implement this.

Thanks!

P.S. I LOVE Poweramp for my Android.

Archived