Poweramp TODO list/features in progress

maxmp

2 plus years later, we still don't have ability to sync tags with iTunes natively....? I am switching to PlayerProd, which does it via iSyncr, but it would be nice to have the syncing available natively. Ratings and counts are a BIG part of listening to music, much like organizing music is important. Can't believe this isn't still possible. I can see a mass exodus to other players, whichever does offer the feature first. After all $4 or $5 don't matter much...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for keeping the app updated (or at least moving towards these new features).

If you were still looking for input on maybe which you would prioritize, I would like to put in yet another vote for "- rating sync'ing from/to tags". If you move to new phone, if you flash ROMs, or if your library is damaged/deleted, you lose *all* your ratings. Usually, people put a lot of time and effort into those ratings. :(

But, anyways, thanks for the solid app! :) Always come back to it...

EDIT: Also, I'd be willing to pay again for an updated version, if need be. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping the app updated (or at least moving towards these new features).

If you were still looking for input on maybe which you would prioritize, I would like to put in yet another vote for "- rating sync'ing from/to tags". If you move to new phone, if you flash ROMs, or if your library is damaged/deleted, you lose *all* your ratings. Usually, people put a lot of time and effort into those ratings. :(

But, anyways, thanks for the solid app! :) Always come back to it...

EDIT: Also, I'd be willing to pay again for an updated version, if need be. ;)

Before I get started, please note that this is not a rant (as we all understand that you have many requests coming at you regularly from your user base) but rather another reminder about ratings.

I as well as many other users feel exactly the same way. The only "major" thing we all really agree on is the need for rating (and possibly play count) syncing to/from tags. Worst case scenario, a compatible sync format for importing/exporting ratings the way several other music apps have gone. Rating music is how many of us maintain our playlists as a song's rating can change as often a person's tastes.

Rating based sync and play lists are some of the most commonly used by users with large databases and the most convenient way to maintain these ratings is on the go, as we listen to each song. Sitting down in front of a computer to rate each song is just not feasible for most people. This is a feature that has been "in the works" for a couple of years now and many of us are beginning to wonder if it will ever be implemented as the date has slipped multiple times.

As ikjadoon mentioned, many of us would pay good money to either buy the app again, or purchase a separate license for this feature. 

We can all appreciate that you have significantly improved the application over the years and at no additional cost to existing license holders. Would it not be prudent to then make a new licensed release (separate from the 2.x release) so that you can have a new influx of cash to possibly temporarily hire additional developers to help implement this (and perhaps a few other highly requested features)? I know I personally would even be game to simply participate in a kickstarter fund for certain features.

Having a separate fund for each major feature (or feature set) that people can donate or pledge to with funding goals and commitment dates would be an excellent way to help accelerate development and prioritization for new Poweramp features.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Network (SMB) files? Will this be ever implemented?

BTW, the hack of mounting (Cifs) a network location is not good for many reasons. 
Besides, it does not work in most not-english cases. "Cifs Mount" does not like characters with accents. E.g. á é í ó ú, etc. (any accent, from anywhere but USA) . 
Any folder or file including any of these characters (including french and other languages characters) will be broken, and Poweramp will not be able to navigate into these folders nor play those files.
Poweramp should support network paths natively, without the need of performing unnatural mounts (which btw can also be made on rooted devices).

• 2 weeks later...

A little updated on current Poweramp development state of things. 

Currently I'm finishing with the new audio engine development. Key features:

- 32bit floating point audio pipeline from decoding to output

- 64bit floating point high resolution DSP

- multichannel processing

- internal high quality resampling, configurable output dithering

- improved buffering and reduced latency

- completely open API for pluging-in: decoders, DSPs, visual FXs, resamplers, outputs. Any 3rd party will be able to add new audio stuff into Poweramp via separate APKs (similar to how skins are done now)

The best thing is that battery performance of the new audio engine despite much higher accuracy is the same or better than Powermap v2.

The new audio engine was built with the high accuracy approach, there is no intermediate format conversions, this is basically a studio grade audio processing.

There will be intermediate alpha release with the new audio engine and old UI.

The new audio engine (and the following new releases of Poweramp) will allow quite easy additions to Poweramp without touching the core app by just releasing plugins. Also plugins for playlists (all those 3rd party cloud services and radios, or local networking), better skinning, improved tablet UI is coming with the UI update phase.

Thanks!

Great, many thanks for the update!

Could you maybe outline the core UI changes that are in the pipeline too? That's where I feel that Poweramp may have been lagging behind a bit recently. Specifically the following come to my mind from the past few years of requests as being possibly more urgent than audio engine updates (actually, I don't have any problems with the current audio engine to be honest):

• Tag updating (e.g. inserting downloaded art and 'star' ratings directly into MP3 files for sync purposes).
  • Album Artist support, and other ID3 tags, plus improved sorting options.
  • Playback of cloud-based audio streams (including files on local NAS, etc).
  • DLNA/etc output to local devices wirelessly.
  • Long audio track support, for classical music, radio shows, podcasts, audiobooks, etc (easier navigation within tracks, remembering playback positions, ignoring long tracks during shuffled music playback).
  • Back button logic improvements (i.e. when coming from the playback screen, the Back button should go straight back to there)
  • Backup of all user-settings to SD Card.
  • Single-file playback facility (pause at end).
Just an indication of where in the roadmap these fall would be great. (I'm sure I've missed a ton, the above are just from memory)

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the list, we have all those in our todo list, some of them comes in core app, and some - as plugins.

Please consider making cover flow, and UI smoothness improvements, I would love to be to flick through my album cover on my GS4

• 4 weeks later...

A little updated on current Poweramp development state of things.

So any news of a beta version of the next update as yet?

I'm not really bothered about audio engine updates (the current audio engine seems perfectly okay for me already) but functionality and UI feature requests have not really been addressed in any serious way for two years or more.

It now seems to be showing here in terms of users giving up and leaving (or just bumping old requests made years ago). Overall, it's getting to be a bit of a ghost-town here - apart from spammers needing removing anyway.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have two suggestions for you:

1. Support for Home Wi-Fi Network Streaming.

(I couldn't find any plugin for Poweramp that can add ability to stream music from my NAS.)

2. Support for online (cloud storage) streaming from various servers (like Dropbox ... etc).

• 3 weeks later...

Request you add support for Non-Google email account unlocking on pre-3.0 Android devices. (esp. Motorola Droid X2)  A number of prepaid providers in the U.S. are offering Android smart phone service with low end phones or bring-your-own-phone programs. Tracfone, for one, limits Android service to 3G equipment only so phones like the Motorola X2 are seeing new life as BYOP devices on Tracfone. Unfortunately these previous generation phones are stuck on Gingerbread. Would be good to use Poweramp, my preferred player, on my Droid X2 without adding a Google account.  Thanks

Request you add support for Non-Google email account unlocking on pre-3.0 Android devices. (esp. Motorola Droid X2)  A number of prepaid providers in the U.S. are offering Android smart phone service with low end phones or bring-your-own-phone programs. Tracfone, for one, limits Android service to 3G equipment only so phones like the Motorola X2 are seeing new life as BYOP devices on Tracfone. Unfortunately these previous generation phones are stuck on Gingerbread. Would be good to use Poweramp, my preferred player, on my Droid X2 without adding a Google account.  Thanks

1. What the heck does this have to do with new features planned for upcoming new versions?

2. If you'd take just 3 minutes to actually look around the website you would find this page which answers your question: http://powerampapp.com/buy-Poweramp/

1. What the heck does this have to do with new features planned for upcoming new versions?

2. If you'd take just 3 minutes to actually look around the website you would find this page which answers your question: http://powerampapp.com/buy-Poweramp/

Maybe I put this in the wrong place, I thought this section was for new feature requests, if incorrect I apologize. But, if you looked around you'd see this particular email unlocking feature isn't available to those of us running older Android versions, "before 3.0" and it mentions that on the page you linked.

Anyway, request deleted because Poweramp said they were incorporating request into v 551.

Do some reading yourself Timmy.

Archived