Multiple artist/genre tag support!

kitkat

There are always songs which have multiple artists, and similarly one song can have elements of multiple genre. MediaMonkey on my PC does a nice job of supporting these multiple tags by separating the tags by a semicolon, and syncs them to my GS2 as such as well. Android's default player, as well the my GS2 player, and all other major players don't have support for these multiple tags. So what happens is that I end up getting, as an example, three different artists - "Shaggy", "Akon" and "Shaggy;Akon". Since there is no single artist by name "Shaggy;Akon", it doesnt get a picture and music library just falls apart. Can you please parse these multiple tags properly and add one song under multiple artists/genre's in the library depending on if the tag has multiple artists/genres. Thank you!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Multiple artist support would be great for me too. Maybe you could even auto-split the artist tag where you see the term "feat." in the working (where did that come from over recent years anyway? In the good old wax-cylinder days it was simply called a duet! :) )

Andre

Coming to think about it, it would be pretty neat, and useful. I request Poweramp author to please come and comment here if he would support this feature and when.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

The way it's currently done is broken. e.g. I see a genre "Theme:Soundtrack" for some songs that are tagged as "Theme" and "Soundtrack". The same songs appear neither in "Themes" nor "Soundtrack" but only the non-existent genre "Theme:Soundtrack".

• 2 weeks later...

Being able to set a tag separation character similar to squeezecenter would be wonderful. My library has a number of "sub-genres" (eg. "Classical;Chamber") that would be best indexed as multiple genres. Most music players can't handle that or multiple artists well.

• 1 month later...

It would be great. I am from India and our song are mainly from Indian movies, mostly duet sons than singles. song filter option is the only way to play all songs of a particular artist irrespective of solo or duet or group song . I am eagerly waiting for the update, thank you for the post.

Just as a followup... it appears to already support "multiple genre" tags (separated with ";"), just not multiple artists.

No it doesn't support multiple file tags, even with ";" Poweramp only take the first genre. Sorry if i don't understand you, my english is so bad.

No it doesn't support multiple file tags, even with ";" Poweramp only take the first genre. Sorry if i don't understand you, my english is so bad.

I currently have albums on my phone with MP3 "genre" tag set as "Classical;Horn", "Classical;Viola" and "Classical;WWQuintet". When looking in the PowerMP Library, these show under both the genre "Classical" and the genres "Viola", "Horn" or "WWQuintet". The embedded tag (eg. "Classical;Horn") is *not* shown as a genre. This part works well for me. The part that doesn't work is that I'd like to browse from genre -> artist -> album (eg. "Classical" -> "Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus" -> "Requiem, K626 - Hogwood"), but once you choose genre, you can only only choose albums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 as well. Signed up and searched precisely just for this exact thread.

I've no idea why it's taken this long still for any of the PMP software to implement such an integral part of song tagging. Please, Please, PLEASE consider adding this soon. People who care about categorizing their music properly are being left out in the cold because such a simple feature is yet to be supported.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

5 years I have waited for this feature, and it is still not implemented properly. There is now support for a delimiting character, such as a semicolon, which gets displayed as a slash. Example: A-trak; Clockwork will display as A-track/Clockwork. However, in the artists seciton of Poweramp, this artist is still listed as A-track/Clockwork, instead of under 'A-Track' and 'Clockwork' idividualy as its supposed to. Please add support for this. Thank you.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived