PowerAMP v2.0 Beta 1

admin

Hello Maxim,

Thank you very much for your hard work on such a fine Android app. :D 8-)

Even the smallest of cool enhancements such as the UI transition after pressing the Back button key in the 'Search' window, cool.

My feedback so far:

1.) When I select "List" repeat mode and I get to the end of the track list (e.g. 39/39) and I swipe Album art to go back to the first song again the swipe to next (beginning) track is not working it just locked. Instead I have to resort to the normal <<>> method to go to beginning track. Could you please add Album art swipe support or if maybe make it an option in the settings.

2.) I was thinking that maybe you might consider enabling the "Show track counter" as default.

3.) It would be nice if in a future 2.xx version you added a custom-ability feature for users to be able to customize the menu choices found in the pop-up menu (press Menu button key) because I rarely have use for 'Lyrics' and would like to replace 'Lyrics' with and use 'Info/Tags' in it's place instead. Currently in 2.0 beta the 'Info/Tags' is under a further sub-menu of 'more' from what I can see. Whatdya say maxim could you take this into consideration.

4.) In the "Folders" list screen it would be great if;

=There was the additional ability to Sort by 'File type'

=It would be really special if there was a display method to distinguish between audio types (mp3,flac, ogg) maybe through highlighting the text area e.g. all orange marked would mean .flac files etc. Or another display method.

=It would be great if there was scrolling text on the selected/currently played track in the "Folders" list view as I need to see the full filename

5.) I really wish the "Send" feature was accessible in the Player's screen..too - upon pressing Menu button, just like in PlayerPro. The thing is is that it's currently located in the Library screen upon long press>'more'. So just like request"#3" above it would be awesome to be able to customize the menu items (that display when pressing Menu button) to be able to re-order them around in the grid, remove some and add new/own items too (items like "Send"). At least, for now, it is good that Poweramp has some sort of send feature existent :)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Work. I've installed this release today and i'm happy with the improvements.

BUT

Every time i wont to open the Settings, PA crashes. I've tried every way. Music turned On/Off. Out of the Library, the Player or the Explorer. I have no chance to open the Settings.

I've tried it on a A70it. Maybe you have a solution for that.

Greetings

Hi Max,

Very greatful for the update! I like the new background colours very much.

I´m too having problems with the album art display. It is most with black coloured album arts. It´s difficult to put into words. The black is kind of grainy.

I would too be very pleased if the lyrics could be saved, so that I don´t have to search for them everytime.

Hello Max,

I have short tested your new Beta Version. Two things:

a) Create a little symbol when the lyrics are integrated in the song.

B) Samsung Galaxy SII: the volume is quiter than in the old version.

It would be nice if you could change the things.

Werner

Having installed the Poweramp 2.0 Beta on Samsung Galaxy S II, this is my preliminary feedback on bugs and suggestions:

-Overall sound has improved significantly, though there some MP3 for which the sound still sound somehow distorted at high bass even when Limit button is on;

At stability level, there are some issues, which I cannot establish whether there are software (OS, app conflict) or hardware (dual-core handling). In fact, I have observed multiple instances where the app un-expectantly closes. This is not through Force Close, as there is no option to for close the application. When this occurs, Poweramp seems to run in the background for a second or so, as the current title is immediately displayed on the status bar. Occasionally, when the app is re-launched, the track continues from same position as when it closed; most of the time, it reset to the beginning. Likewise, some standard Force Close’s have occurred, especially after installing musiXmatch.

Bugs:

Clip art: in some case, Poweramp does not display the song art even when one is (manually tagged); yet, when you tap and hold on album art area, the image appears as "Embed/ded" see image, in addition to other suggested cover arts. When the embed image is select, this works. However, this is only cached as if the Cache is clear, the issue re-occurs. The image for this specific case is JPEG, with resolution of 500*494 and a size of 48KB. What is the meaning of this screen? First, Poweramp states "Poweramp No album art" and next, it states "Embed album", yet cannot automatically display it.

2u9j2g1.jpg

GUI: when the Equaliser is viewed in landscape mode, the lower section of it, where the knobs are placed is corrupted with these being split or sectioned, as per below. The screen size on SGSII is standard VWGA.

33cx6vr.jpg

String: Could you please replace string Equ for the corresponding buttons/status (On/Off) with EQ, which is standard short for equalizer and looks better from the aesthetic standpoint?

Equ -> EQ

Suggestions:

I like to run Poweramp in full mode, and I wish to have the option to display the time. This is already the case for the lock screen; hence, there is some inconsistency. Plus, this will be very useful. This could be implemented as to position this variable on selectable position (Top left, To Centre, Top Left or similar), this can be simple text. Additionally, the battery indicator would be useful too, especially when set to disable screen turn off: many video player display the battery (small icon is sufficient).

Track title:

Could you please consider increasing the size of the title and using a brighter colour (pure white or bright cyan like in previous version)? When using the default theme and depending on the background colour, the title may be hard to read, owing to low contrast.

Thanks,

Max,thank you fof your time and your awesome work!

My first impressions of the beta on my nexus one:

1.sound quality is way way better,I love the "new" highs,they used to be harsh,now they light on the

ears and I really like it.

2.direct volume sucks,its good that you made it an option and not someting permanent.

3.the new UI looks awesome.

4.the list of my songs in my folders kinda messed up.

5.in portrait mode,I cant see the stereo x and balance knobs,only in portrait.

Will report more soon...thanks.

Nice effort Max, but:

- DVC..., hmm, according to my listening tests bass is not deeper, it's, I would say, somehow emphasized, undefined, muffled, unprecise, everything else but not deeper. Bass negative impacts for overall sound IMHO. "Too "dark" "bassy" weird overall sound. With DVC off a bit better, but not as good as older version.

- Skins: first 2 are too bright (brighter is ugly too IMHO), last 2 are too dark, where is default skin from old version (Matte Metal)?

- What is "Limit"?

- Why are up/down Change gestures removed?

- Reverting to old PA for now, much better sound... :cry:

HTC Desire 2.33 Official.

First, thank you all for the feedback, it really helps.

GUI: when the Equalizer is viewed in landscape mode, the lower section of it, where the knobs are placed is corrupted with these being split or sectioned, as per below. The screen size on SGSII is standard VWGA.

Right, this is scrollable view. As I see there is a confusion across early adopters, this is pretty standard android style scrolling container (with the gradient indicating that there is something to scroll to). I'm considering redesigning this screen into two tabs (like Folders/Library tabs, but for Equ/DSP, the problem is that custom presets include tone settings as well, thus dividing it into two screens is not so great).

Alen

DVC makes it louder on most phones (some, like samsungs, mess too much in their sound driver, thus it's not so noticeable, and some, like newer HTCs cut that functionality completely from their ROMs).

As for Equalizer, it's bit-to-bit the same in non-DVC mode (assuming, limiter is off and stereo x on zero). In DVC mode it allows much greater basses (or whatever frequency is available in equalizer) and tone control has more +dB, but still nothing forces you to turn thumbs to max, you can get almost the same sound as in non-DVC (1.4) mode from this mode if you wish.

(Almost, as bass tone frequency/q-factor was changed).

"Limit" is a soft limiter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limiter). This is sort of fast dynamic range compression which helps to avoid overload when too much equalization added. This mostly helps non DVC mode though.

There will be up/down (way much better than in v1.x) swipes in Beta 2.

As for skins, I have many android devices around here for testing purposes, and guess what, none of them match their screen brightness, so on some it will be darker, on some lighter, not to mention personal screen brightness setting. Skin dev is done on AMOLEDs mostly, and it looks there the best. Anyway, PowerAMP v2.0 offers (will offer really soon) more skin variety via external/downloadable skins.

There will be certainly "classic" skin (like v1.4, at least for main UI) :)

I really like the sound quality of the 2.0 beta.

Ive turned DVC off,set it to flat,bass and treble to half,limiter on,just AWESOME.

In previous version I had to listen with negative preamp so my sound will not distort(mostly highs became intolerable),so I had to lower the preamp ,and not to mention the volume levels were low.

Droid incredible, stock 2.2 (still no update!)

I get force close when using the playlist shortcut from the home screen. Playlist seems to work fine if I open the player and navigate to playlist. I use launcherpro for my homescreen replacement.

Beta is awesome. Really great work!

Has anyone else noticed that their library is missing some songs after installing v2.0?

I seem to be missing about 200 or so songs. I can't see any obvious omissions but the total number of songs shown in the playback view (e.g 323/3237) is showing about 200 less than it did before the install.

I have tried a complete erase and rescan, tried using the system scan and the Poweramp only scan by excluding my folders from the system scan. I have tried rebooting but the number is still less than it was before the install.

I also have another media player installed and it is reporting the what I beleive is the correct number after a reboot.

Is there something I am missing? I have a Galaxy S with version Android 2.3 installed.

This beta is awesome!!! I love the new UI and controls. Just ONE thing that bothered me, which is one of the biggest reasons I bought and preferred Poweramp over anything else. My library is no longer in order. Now maybe that's a bad way to say it, but what I mean is that, artist with the word 'the' in the beginning, are now all the way by the 'T' section of the library. For example:

'The Faceless'

Is now in the 'T' section instead of the 'F' section. Please fix this when you can! Not a big deal I know, but its just one big reason for my purchase of Poweramp, thank you Max!!

First, thank you all for the feedback, it really helps.
GUI: when the Equalizer is viewed in landscape mode, the lower section of it, where the knobs are placed is corrupted with these being split or sectioned, as per below. The screen size on SGSII is standard VWGA.

Right, this is scrollable view. As I see there is a confusion across early adopters, this is pretty standard android style scrolling container (with the gradient indicating that there is something to scroll to). I'm considering redesigning this screen into two tabs (like Folders/Library tabs, but for Equ/DSP, the problem is that custom presets include tone settings as well, thus dividing it into two screens is not so great).

I think a redesign is the best possible outcome for this, because most people even when trying to scroll, keep accidentally tapping on the 16K equaliser slider even on 4.3" screens!

thanks for the updates max.

sound quality is definitely better in v2.

bugs i encountered:

* replay gain with prevent clipping - volume is almost reduced to zero

* when changing settings for replay gain and turning dvc on/off - player skips to the next song and it does not play from the beginning of the song. sometimes it plays at the middle, sometimes just a few seconds after the beginning

* I always encounter FC when trying to browse the folders in list and heirarchy mode. grid mode is the only one working for me

Also, can Poweramp read/play existing m3u playlist files. I have several that works on other players (I also use Just Playlist player to read/play these files). can I import them into Poweramp?

I also look forward to your tablet skins as I use the app on an advent vega tablet running vegacomb (honeycomb 3.2)

I'm amazed...impeccable UI and impressive music quality!!

Bugs/Problems:

Hi,

one other thing. Couldn´t the space of the KHz / Kbps / mp3... display down in the middle of the player be used more effectively? I don´t need to be reminded of the sampling rate of my mp3s.

I agree. You could add a setting to remove those.

Although the album art shows up fine in the Player view, it doesn't in the list view.

Finally, we are system-media-scan FREE!!! :D

Archived