Bluetooth Support (Again!)

Could you please advise as to why I cannot receive MP3 tags via a Wireless Stereo headphone device equipped with screen? I am using Samsung Galaxy S II along with Sony Ericsson Bluetooth device MW600. This works with the default music player.

Max, maybe you can explain the following statement that you made in this relation; clearly, this is not correct as the built-in player functions effectively and complies with Android Bluetooth stack.

Thanks for the request. Android's bluetooth stack (bluez) currently doesn't support anything beyond acrcp 1.0, so that's why no info is sent to bt devices like car units or SE MW600 or similar devices. While it's possible to implement own bt stack, it's a bit out of scope for Poweramp. As soon as Android supports that, Poweramp will support it too.

Please advise; did you imply some development would be required once the feature is natively supported by Android or that the process should be automatic?

In either case, this request was back in January, so could you please implement it? Ideally, if possible, could you please implement it so that not only the song's title but also the artist name are fed?

Thank you,

Otto

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe only stock samsung app have this (I hope don't). So. if there is the case, max would have to do reverse engineering on this issue if the kernel sources make it possible.

Also I have bought an SGSII now, and I have been using a MW600 from SGSI, and I would love to see this feature implemented in Poweramp.

hiperjp,

If you read the statement I have copied from Max, this should not warrant any reverse engineering, because it is a native feature. It would if it was not available or if Max would have to change the way the info is broadcast.

Have a look at your GSII built-in player and you will see that it works with your MW-600 headsets. If the default player works, why Poweramp should be different?

Thank you for your comment!

• 3 weeks later...

Are the bluetooth music tags only compatible with mp3s, or is it/will it be compatible with flac as well? Is it limited by our device, for example, I have an HTC EVO, it is listed as having Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. (I am not getting any music tags)

Wade

Thank you.

Hello wader999,

As far as I know, it is not format-dependent (it must be supported by the app, possibly via an API); indeed, I used this on my HTC HD/HD2 based on Windows Mobile and played wma, mp3 or mp4 and all fed the tags to the my Sony MW600 screen. This is a must feature for me, as I do not have to take my Samsung Galaxy S II out of my pocket; it is so light that I have dropped already once and only a minor scratch so far.

Max was advised on this over six months ago and he confirmed this should be integrated into Poweramp, but WHEN???!!! Version 2 is now imminent!

I checked the standard music player for the evo, no tags. Now that I have my car stereo all set up. It is awesome to use the bluetooth, but I need to be able to see the tracks being played. I am hoping the 2.0 update does this, but I do not know what it entails.

I really like this music player and do not think it is a deal breaker, since it plays my flac so well. I notice a lot of picky request, just not to many focused on the media tags.

• 2 weeks later...

I too want this to be in version 2.0, but when Max let this thread drops down the bottom (in spite of the interest shown by many), maybe he is not willing despite his statement in this respect!

Hello,

I would also like to see the titles displayed on the MW600. I have the SG2 - goes with the native player, but not with Poweramp.

I would be very happy!

Thx, its a great Player!

I really wish Max listen and say something! This has gone one for too long!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Still no answer while replying to new users! This is amazing!

Sorry, I'm currently busy with finishing PowerAMP 2.0.

2.0 feature set is complete and finalized, so I don't accept any requests for this release,

while some phones do support BT track id stuff via avrcp, there is no any support in Android API for this. Generally, it requires dirty hacks to work for any 3rd party app, but this is still possible. I already investigated this issue and most probably this will be scheduled for one of the next PowerAMP releases, but only if the hack will prove to be stable.

Thanks!

2.0 feature set is complete and finalized, so I don't accept any requests for this release

I fail to understand this comment; in fact, this thread was raised months ago, precisely on 13 May, when the feature set was still in progress and hence not yet "complete and finalised" and that was despite several reminders.

while some phones do support BT track id stuff via avrcp, there is no any support in Android API for this. Generally, it requires dirty hacks to work for any 3rd party app, but this is still possible. I already investigated this issue and most probably this will be scheduled for one of the next Poweramp releases, but only if the hack will prove to be stable.

Can you not base the hack on third-party applications that do currently make use of this hack? Indeed, you used a similar approach when first devices appeared with support for microSD when Poweramp could not read from this media.

Many people are linking their devices via Bluetooth, when in the car or on foot (Wireless Stereo headset) or at home. Lacking like this for a high-en app is dreadful.

I fail to understand this comment; in fact, this thread was raised months ago, precisely on 13 May, when the feature set was still in progress and hence not yet "complete and finalised" and that was despite several reminders.

All he's saying is that regardless of what was said, when and by whom, this feature is not in the feature-locked spec for 2.0 which he is trying very hard to complete, test, bug-fix and release. At some point you have to lockdown a release, otherwise it never happens.

There are several things I'm crying out for to help with navigating through longer files and wired heaset button support, but I know they won't happen in 2.0.

Andre

All he's saying is that regardless of what was said, when and by whom, this feature is not in the feature-locked spec for 2.0 which he is trying very hard to complete, test, bug-fix and release. At some point you have to lockdown a release, otherwise it never happens.

There are several things I'm crying out for to help with navigating through longer files and wired heaset button support, but I know they won't happen in 2.0.

Andre

André,

Thank you for your response. However, there is no need for people to keep on attempt to interpret statements made by Max: his command of the English language is impeccable!

I am fully aware of the challenges he faces, and I understand why some features have been deferred to later releases. As for locking-down features for a version/release, again, most people understand this; but just because you lock down a version does not mean you cannot alter it; in fact, as per earlier, some features intended for version 2.0 have now been deferred. In any case, the locking down process occurs in time: hence, I mentioned when the feature request was submitted. For this specific request, there is an older petition dating back January.

Again, I was not moaning for it, just asking for a time frame for its implementation or not, rather than ignoring. I appreciate that we cannot get all we want and in fact despite reporting a bug with the manner in which Poweramp displays the album arts, and no action being taken (in spite of being asked to submit sample mp3 and later that the root cause was identified), I have had to tag part of my library manually: this is one reason I would actually whinge.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=923

In any case, I was only trying to understand whether this feature will be implemented by means of a hack or only when natively supported by Android’s Bluetooth stack. However, ambiguous responses such as “it can be done” without any additional information regarding its feasibility or time frame, are at best unhelpful. On the other hand, I am uncertain whether this is actually not currently supported by Android, when this feature was available on my Windows Mobile-based devices’ AVRCP stack.

Little depressing that the avrcp support is not coming. I just got a droid bionic and the player that came with the phone does support avrcp and it streams the song information. Something also noticed is that when I use google music, the song information is streaming through avrcp.. So I just ask that this actually makes it into a build in the very near future as we have all been waiting for a very long time.

• 2 months later...

according to bluez.org (the official site for the linux bluetooth stack) AVRCP 1.3 is supported. Here's a link: http://www.bluez.org/profiles/.

This makes some the claims above invalid. The more I browse these forums, the more I become disappointed with the lack of feedback the developer gives paying customers. Very sad. I may start looking for another product with a more responsive team.

• 5 months later...

Any advance on this issue?

I just got a new Alpine head unit and am running a SGS2 with the CM9 ROM.. as other people have mentioned, the stock player feeds music details fine to the head unit but Poweramp doesn't :(

I'd really love to see this as a feature because otherwise I'll be forced to switch between music players for different things (car,gym,etc)

AOKP has implemented a workaround for the lack of AVRCP in third-party music player. It this by using scrobbling data from Poweramp to feed the tags to AVRCP. This works like a charm on my Samsung Vibrant. There are two unofficial AOKP ports for the SGS2, Bezke and hydrog3n, which should support this functionality. Obviously, it would be better to have native AVRPC 1.3 support in Poweramp, but it does solve the problem for now.

• 1 month later...

You are not going to convince me that our phones "lack" this AVRCP support stuff, when the stock music player on the phones handle BT tag streaming without an issue.

The stock music player does this.

Poweramp does not.

Why did we pay 5 dollars again lol

Hopefully something is in the works to fix this, but as it sits now, its a crap load of fail that we haven't figured out how to support BT song ID on streaming yet.

Archived