• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   04/24/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code. It is hoped this will be ready for final beta-testing by the end of the May/early June. See forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
Kloppstock

m3u-8 playlist convertable to other formats?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, i have such a poor search filter management that i must ask here instead

can i convert m3u-8 playlist files into something else, meaning that i will not need Poweramp as an app on that unit..if you dont mind ;) i would plan to buy a top-modern mp3 player that can handle Poweramp playlists???

M3u and m3u8 are interchangeable formats. They are text based and can be read by most (if not all) music players. You will not be able to use Poweramp playlists themselves but will have to export them. The same goes for android playlists. You may run into trouble trying to play them on a mp3 player though as file structures are likely to be different. You can look at the content of an m3u playlist by opening it with a text editor. 

As Theo has said, .M3U (and its basically identical but allowing for extended character sets, .M3U8) are pretty much universal and should work on any decent player. As its most simple, it is just a list of music filenames, including their directory paths, in lines of plain text. You can export Poweramp's internal playlists in that format for use with other players. If the other player does not properly detect .M3U8 files, rename them to .M3U.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As Theo has said, .M3U (and its basically identical but allowing for extended character sets, .M3U8) are pretty much universal and should work on any decent player. As its most simple, it is just a list of music filenames, including their directory paths, in lines of plain text. You can export Poweramp's internal playlists in that format for use with other players. If the other player does not properly detect .M3U8 files, rename them to .M3U.

Andre

Okay thanks, i might bump the thread when i get the new player..so you can tell me how to import the list ;-) 

I cannot imagine you would find a better player than Poweramp. As i said before, unless your new device is also android based, you will most likely have trouble uding the exported m3u playlists

Just to clarify, a Poweramp exported playlist looks something like this (the paths will vary a bit depending on your device's specific directory naming format):

/storage/extSdCard/MusicFolders/Singles/Here With Me - Dido.mp3
/storage/extSdCard/MusicFolders/Singles/Layla - Derek & The Dominos.mp3
/storage/extSdCard/MusicFolders/Singles/Nothing on but the Radio - The Alice Band.mp3
/storage/extSdCard/MusicFolders/Singles/Skinny Genes - Eliza Doolittle.mp3

M3U or M3U8 format makes no difference in most cases, they are interchangeable apart from one having a wider range of international characters available.

However if you copied the above playlist file to (for example) a PC, where music is stored in the local user's 'Music' folder, it would need to look more like this:

C:\Users\yourname\Music\Singles\Here With Me - Dido.mp3
C:\Users\yourname\Music\Singles\Layla - Derek & The Dominos.mp3
C:\Users\yourname\Music\Singles\Nothing on but the Radio - The Alice Band.mp3
C:\Users\yourname\Music\Singles\Skinny Genes - Eliza Doolittle.mp3

Mostly the "/" vs "\" separator formatting will be ignored, most programs will allow for either method.

One way to make playlists more portable is to use relative paths. The above absolute formats will find those specific music files no matter where on the device you happen to save the playlist.m3u file. But of course it won't find your songs if the music files get moved to a different directory (for example when you upgrade some Lollipop devices to Marshmallow, Android can alter the root path to the SD Card). To get around this, you could place your playlist.m3u file inside your overall music folder, and only quote the lower parts of the path as needed:

Singles/Here With Me - Dido.mp3
Singles/Layla - Derek & The Dominos.mp3
Singles/Nothing on but the Radio - The Alice Band.mp3
Singles/Skinny Genes - Eliza Doolittle.mp3

The above format would still work even if you copied your whole collection to a new folder, or even to a PC or other device, as long as the relative location between the playlist file and the music files does not alter.

Poweramp only saves the absolute path format, but I'm sure you can see it would only take seconds in a decent text editor to do a global search&replace and change the layout.

Andre