Playlists ignores Wma files when they're added

Hello people! Well, I just have this weird bug that I had since I installed the app. Everytime I add a full playlist from my computer to my phone all the wma files are just ignored from the playlist. They're however added to the phone and I can even play the files because they're on the library, but somehow when I check the playlist I just added, all the other files are there but the wma files. I also can add them later to the playlist but since I cant move the files to an exact position I find this a little frustratig. Can someone please explan to me whats happening? I have a Samsumg S7 with the latest android update and I transfer the playlist from windows media player from my computer, windows 10. Thanks for helping anyway :)

I'm guessing there will be a filename issue going on here.

So the .WMA songs appear correctly in the library as albums, with song titles and artists visible, and you can manually add those song into a new playlist. However importing an existing external file-based .M3U playlist fails to include these tracks (although similar MP3-format tracks included in the same .M3U playlist file appear OK).

Are the MP3 and WMA files in the same folders? Is there any difference in the formatting of the lines in the .M3U file? (It is plain text, so you should be able to load it into a text editor and check it line-by-line and try editing filenames if you think it necessary).

Andre

I just experienced a similar weird problem. I solved it by copying over all of my .WMA files with .M4A files and Poweramp suddenly recognized them. 

The problem was that the playlist .M3U file was generated by iTunes and almost all the files in my iTunes media folder are .M4A files. When Poweramp actually had the correct file types to work with, there was no problem.

The problem seems to be that Windows 10 "helpfully" tries to convert everything into .WMA format when you load music onto an android from a computer over a USB connection. You can tell it "no" but it keeps offering for every copy command. I eventually got around that by just taking the SD card out of the android and sticking it directly into my computer with a micro SD adapter. This makes file copying physically a lot faster too. However, I missed enough of the .WMA files that Windows 10 so "helpfully" converted for me that Poweramp appeared to be missing what I thought were .M4A files.

I could probably have kludged a fix by using a text editor to fix the .M3U file to reference the delinquent .WMA files, but every time I wanted to import an iTunes playlist again in the future I would have to do the same thing.

A probably unrelated, but also strange thing happened when I started the playlist. The album art stopped appearing on the playback screen. I specifically turned the visualization off so that it was not over-riding the album art, but that did not seem to help. Album art now only shows up when I look at the album or folder list. Not a huge issue for me since I only look at the album art when the device is sitting on an exercise machine, but it might be a bug that "bugs" others.

I expect that it was Windows' 'helpful' conversion process to WMA that was at fault. As you have said, Poweramp can natively handle a lot of formats and it's usually best to avoid converting. To be honest, it's probably best to avoid WMA completely anyway. :) 

Andre

Archived