Cannot delete music files off phone or computer

I own a Samsung J3 mobile phone. Android 5.11 Kernel 3.10.65-8870959. installed is Poweramp 2.0.10-build-588-play Full Version

From within Poweramp I cannot delete 5 albums because the message "Error! No write access to the file. To enable access, please select SD card in the grant access dialog, then try again" I cannot get any further with this message and 3, my phone operator won't help me because I installed the app from a 3rd party (Google Play store)

If I attach the phone to my computer and try and delete the files from there, it says "These files are write protected. To change protection blah blah blah...." and STILL I cannot delete them. The files aren't bloody write protected in the first place!

I've factory reset my phone but the files remain on the phone. I just cannot delete them!!!!

Any ideas please?

It's a Google thing, by default they now restrict access for writing to SD Cards in general (which includes deleting files) from within apps, so you have to override their nonsense.

When you try to delete a file and are prompted to go to the Grant Access screen, you will then be shown a folder tree for your device. Navigate to the TOP (root) level of your SD Card and press Grant Access. That should made the whole of the SD Card available for Poweramp as read/write rather than read-only.

If it's just a one-off task, you could also use the phone's own internal File Manager app to do the job, that should have full access by default.

Andre

I did that. The music disappeared from Poweramp. Rang 3 because the files were still lurking on my phone and could play them through Google Play services. Hung up on them cos they were very patronising but that's another matter. However, the files are now back on Poweramp!

And I still can't delete them from my phone using the computer!

This is very baffling!

As Andre explained, Google have locked the sdcard down. Sometimes the "grant access" works but i believe its success depends on the manufacturer. You could remove the card from your device and access it using a pc. Connect it using usb. You will have full read,write permissions

T

Excuse my ignorance but how do I link up my SD to a USB lead? I've USB leads but I the SD card doesn't fit in any of them!

And what right does Google have to lock my SD card in the first place? Surely that's an infringement of some of my rights? It's my own personally bought card from a shop!!!!!

I've rigged up my phone to my pc via a USB lead. I can obviously see my card within the computer panel.

I locate the mp3 files, select them but when I try to delete them, the message "cannot delete files. write protected. you need to change the protection" WHICH I CAN'T!!!!! I've uploaded and deleted these albums before on other phones so no problems before.

Definitely a problem with the memory card or its global settings then. Try reformatting it on a computer, and then copy everything back onto it (backup first of course!). How did you get your music on there in the first place?

Andre

OK, I will try your suggestion.  I have an 500gb external portable hard drive. All my tunes are on there. I got them on the hard drive simply by using Windows Media Player. Then I would then drag and drop the tunes onto my SD card. My previous phone was a Samsung A3 and I purchased a SD for that and had no problems whatsoever. I have since had that stolen and in January of this year bought a Samsung J3. Obviously I had to buy a new SD card. I dragged and dropped tunes into the 16gb SD card and everything was going fine until, when finished I noticed that some of the music was missing within certain music albums! I dragged and dropped an album over to the phone and only 1 file would transfer over. So I deleted all those failed albums and stuck with what was left. After a few weeks decided to delete all the albums off my phone and transfer new ones but the bloody thing isn't letting me! New 'failed' messages come up that I've never seen before within Poweramp, within Google play and on my computer about write protection!! 

Just a thought, but there isn't a hardware lock on the card is there? A little slider tab? Larger SD Cards can sometimes have that feature, but I've not come across it with Micro SD Card sizes. Otherwise you'll probably need to contact the card manufacturer for help.

Oh, and you could try going lower level and use Windows direct DIsk Management system tool, or even via command-line "FORMAT X:" (do make sure you get your drive letter right though!)  

Andre

One easy method to check if your sdcard is corrupt is to use a little utility from Heisse Publishing. It will show whether the sdcard is recoverable or not

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

The link is in German but simply download it and try. I used and used the results with my corrupted Sandisk sdcard to get a brand new one. Sandisk have a 10 year guarantee.

I have also added the zip

Heisse_h2testw_1.4.zip

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Just a thought, but there isn't a hardware lock on the card is there? A little slider tab? Larger SD Cards can sometimes have that feature, but I've not come across it with Micro SD Card sizes. Otherwise you'll probably need to contact the card manufacturer for help.

Oh, and you could try going lower level and use Windows direct DIsk Management system tool, or even via command-line "FORMAT X:" (do make sure you get your drive letter right though!)  

Andre

Hi,

Yeah looked for that but no obvious slider tab! :(

Thanks for your efforts Andre :D

6 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

One easy method to check if your sdcard is corrupt is to use a little utility from Heisse Publishing. It will show whether the sdcard is recoverable or not

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

The link is in German but simply download it and try. I used and used the results with my corrupted Sandisk sdcard to get a brand new one. Sandisk have a 10 year guarantee.

I have also added the zip

Heisse_h2testw_1.4.zip

It says that the zip file is not a valid Win32 application?????

downloaded the zip extractor, ran the program.

noticed that the log was saying every now and then that the card was corrupted. when the 'verify' was finished I managed to delete the music files from sd card from within My Computer.

Stuck the SD card back in the phone, hooked it up to the comp, looked at it within My computer and the files are still showing and I can't get rid of them again because it's still saying the files are write protected

I have cleaned the card again. Within My computer, I try to format the card and it says its unable to complete the format. I look at the card and the folder that my music is stored in and try to delete the files. All but one album disappears. When I install the card back in the phone ALL the music is there. I've tried so many times to format the card when in the phone but nothing happens.

If there was a utility supplied with the card it might have a software-based lock/unlock feature, but otherwise I think you need to contact the supplier of the card for support. This is somewhat beyond being a Powermap question now.

Andre

Archived