• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   04/24/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code. It is hoped this will be ready for final beta-testing by the end of the May. See forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update

217 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, woper map said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, would it be possible to share some previews, at least users would have an insight into what's coming, it may generate a more positive discussion rather than the current vacuum

It took six months to get that far, it might be better to let Max get on the with coding now. :)

Andre

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

That of course is not speeding things up.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Thanks for the response Max, good luck with your work.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Thank you for the update. It's really great to see that development is moving along, even if estimated times are pushed back from what was previously expected :)

Do you have any plans to add a dark mode? 

1 hour ago, jl91569 said:

Do you have any plans to add a dark mode? 

The release should include both the default (white) theme and also a dark themed skin.

Andre

On 4/25/2017 at 10:04 PM, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

That of course is not speeding things up.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Thanks!

What's the point making next version working 100% flawless if it's gonna be BETA?

4 hours ago, Volume said:

What's the point making next version working 100% flawless if it's gonna be BETA?

Why release something that you know doesn't work properly? That's more what alpha tests are for. A beta should ideally be as close to fully working as the developer can get, but to provide more field testing for picking up anything odd that only shows up in the wild.

Andre

8 hours ago, Volume said:

You realize that alpha, beta, etc, is just a name right? "Stable" software can be buggy as well. It not a beta tag that puts me off using any software. 

No complaints from me. I installed 704 on my Android N LG V20, & it works astoundingly well. Clicked on Hifi DAC, & my re-ripped Flac files sound amazing...through my headphones, through my AUX port in my vehicle, & through my AV receiver at home..

Thanks for chasing this.........

I'd prefer to keep this open so people can comment, otherwise we'll just get lots of new random threads popping up. I am trying to move feature requests and bug reports out to their own threads though.

Andre

Good news from developer but little bit confusing with "Once the official v3 release is complete, Max will turn his attentions to building new features for 'v4', which will include:....."

Why not merge the V4 features at V3? Because its was planned before V3 relese. (I know writing thousands of codes is hard working)

5 hours ago, Mohax said:

Why not merge the V4 features at V3? Because its was planned before V3 relese. (I know writing thousands of codes is hard working)

Because v3 would never get an official release if he keeps adding new things before committing to an actual release. You have to get to the stage of 'feature locking' a product for final testing before release. Then once that's done you can start looking to adding more stuff for the next version (much of which will be added the the product in the interim I assume).

Andre

This may be good news but I'm practically jaded at this point from years of waiting. So here's a joke. Things that will happen before the official Poweramp v3.0 release:

- 1000 Marvel movies
- Cure for cancer
- Mars Colonization
- Faster than light space travel
- Half life 3

Loving the alpha right now, sad to hear that i won't be able to use v3 on my sony nw-zx2 :(

14 hours ago, DarXide said:

This may be good news but I'm practically jaded at this point from years of waiting. So here's a joke. Things that will happen before the official Poweramp v3.0 release:

- 1000 Marvel movies
- Cure for cancer
- Mars Colonization
- Faster than light space travel
- Half life 3

Half Life 3 is by far the most difficult to happen.... 

@andrewilley

17 hours ago, Arnas said:

Loving the alpha right now, sad to hear that i won't be able to use v3 on my sony nw-zx2 :(

Unless Sony decide to treat their users to anything more modern than JellyBean, I think you'll find there is a lot of stuff that won't run on it. I suspect they regard it as a stand-alone product though, basically just a platform designed to run their software.

Andre