Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Poweramp images look interesting, I would prefer to try it out before making any conclusions. I do hope that the text over the album covers aren't static and only appear for a moment, and that the rounded corners and optional.

Out of boredom, I created a mockup of some of the albums on my phone without those text boxes: (Note, one of the covers would be considered NSFW or risque, but because the "Operator" image we've been posting here is risque itself, I didn't think anyone would care.)

http://imgur.com/a/HasfB

15 hours ago, ewokuk said:

Oh well if that's what they voted for.  Style over substance.

That was my thought at the time too, as I stated in the thread, but not my call I'm afraid. As I said, I really like the player layout in the release build, very little clutter (or it could be hidden) or any wasted space. Incremental tweaking from there would have been my choice, and v3 might have been out some time ago.

Andre

16 hours ago, mlknez said:

I don't care about the user interface much at all.  I just want a music player that will use the ESS Sabre DAC on my LG V20 to it's potential and NO player does.  I was told that this player soon would.  It seems that is not to be.

Honestly, the LG music player on the LG V20 is probably going to be better then Poweramp.

I'm interested to see what Poweramp will do in the next update. It just will not have all the options that are currently in the LG music player.

13 hours ago, djdarko said:

The new Poweramp images look interesting, I would prefer to try it out before making any conclusions. I do hope that the text over the album covers aren't static and only appear for a moment, and that the rounded corners and optional.

Out of boredom, I created a mockup of some of the albums on my phone without those text boxes: (Note, one of the covers would be considered NSFW or risque, but because the "Operator" image we've been posting here is risque itself, I didn't think anyone would care.)

http://imgur.com/a/HasfB

This looks ok, the saving grace is the blurred background but what player doesn't have that these days.

The issue I have is that it has nothing to do with material design. Google has published official guidelines for that and the new layout doesn't comply with them at all.

As Andrew said, at this point I wish he would've left the navigation and animations alone, maybe add a quick "official material skin" and focus on audio and feature improvements from there on.

Sadly this one man operation seems fairly unorganised since not even the mod of this official forum has alpha access (?!) and the Dev himself isn't present at all to read, react or give feedback to our suggestions...

Other top apps with user numbers like this receive almost weekly updates and have active Devs or community managers who are directly involved in the development process and even answer ratings on the play store :/

While I look forward to the redesign, it really seems that after having such a protracted amount of time pass with proposed deadlines blown by one by one, that perhaps the best solution to everyone's problems would have been to fix what's making the app broken for those that can't get full functionality on version 3. Would the necessary coding really have taken all that long to bring that part of the app up to speed while Max continues to work on the redesign? I think this would have put out a lot of the fires that are currently burning throughout the user base and make the wait all that more manageable for all.

At this point, who can say if it would be worth it to do? No one has any clue as to where exactly development is. But if it's still a ways off, which all indications seem to point to as the last given estimate has passed us by without another update, it might be the best solution.

All this discussion amounts to NOTHING really. It's pointless. The dev couldn't care less, has zero respect for his paying customers, does not know the first thing about communication or organisation or development priorities. It's moving rapidly in the direction of vapourware at this point. If it took him TWO years to design what I see in the (leaked?) screenshot, I hope he never attempts to design anything again. How long did it take him to design the original app (till V2), 5 years?

There was the infamous Launcher Pro rewrite (remember?) and then there's Poweramp V3. That guy still holds the crown for "top abandonware dev". I hope Max isn't competing for that title.

Sorry, but I really don't care about offending the dev anymore. 

10 minutes ago, spacebar2011 said:

All this discussion amounts to NOTHING really. It's pointless. The dev couldn't care less, has zero respect for his paying customers, does not know the first thing about communication or organisation or development priorities. It's moving rapidly in the direction of vapourware at this point. If it took him TWO years to design what I see in the (leaked?) screenshot, I hope he never attempts to design anything again. How long did it take him to design the original app (till V2), 5 years?

There was the infamous Launcher Pro rewrite (remember?) and then there's Poweramp V3. That guy still holds the crown for "top abandonware dev". I hope Max isn't competing for that title.

Sorry, but I really don't care about offending the dev anymore. 

What is the problem? You paid for stable version, any problem with it? Dev making new version that you will get without extra paid and you think that isn't respectfully? For some $ 4 you received a very high-quality product that is updated for free for new versions (not patches, but absolutely new ones written from scratch). I think that you are not respecting dev and writing stupid posts like a little crying baby.

I agree with @clever_man above. When stable PA version purchased there were no guarantees for updates. Just a product that was worth bying for some at the time. Suddenly a new alpha version comes out and everybody is getting nervous and starts harrassing the developer. For me with a relatively old phone even the alpha version is worth paying for as it works flawlessly. People with newer devices are understandably more anxious as they want to experience what others already do.

As a first impression the new skin is nothing to die for but until I try the whole interface I hold back any criticism. Anyway if it is easy to create skins there is always the possibility that, with time, people will create skins.

I cannot comment on Max's development skills as I am not a developer myself. Could it be done faster? Perhaps. Better? Perhaps. Prettier? The same. But it is what it is and I only agree with just the first sentence of @spacebar2011post, that this discussion is pointless. As things stand right now the greater risk from the delays lies with the developer himself if other similar apps reach the same level of sound quality/friendliness/put-whatever-you-care-for-here and people move away from PA.

@musiclover @clever_man That's not the point here. If he took 3 years silently working on a new release and just released it out of the blue no one would complain.

But that isn't the case here; the Dev said he wanted to release an update,  users were asked what they wanted, a poll was made, release dates were announced, the release was pushed back multiple times over 2 years.

That has nothing to do with entitlement, it has everything to do with broken promises.

The arguement that "updates are optional" is not correct either. If you sell a product and promise certain functionalities you have to make sure all users get those features. Currently there are a lot of things broken, especially regarding HiFi-Audio on many devices.

So yeah, new features aren't a necessity but fixing broken features is. And of course beyond all that there's the arguement that even smaller, free Apps with less users push more updates than Poweramp ...

1 minute ago, Surge said:

and just dropped it out of the blue no one would complain

Where you got information that project dropped? I had communicated with Max tommorrow and he said that working hard on new version. Have you another source that providing you with wrong iformation?

@clever_man "Dropping an update" means "releasing an update", it's slang :P

Since you have contact to Max: could you ask him if it's possible to get some official screenshots from him, just to clear up the confusion and settle the UI discussion?

Thank you in advance!

25 minutes ago, clever_man said:

I uploaded two screenshots from him, is this not enough? Or you thnk that it's photoshop?

I think they are real, but it would certainly help if they came directly from the source, so Max himself. I also trust that you have the alpha version but some people said it might be from another app.

A screenshot with the Poweramp logo on it, some menu and option panel screenshots would probably be enough to prove that it is real.

5 minutes ago, Surge said:

A screenshot with the Poweramp logo on it, some menu and option panel screenshots would probably be enough to prove that it is real.

I asked Max to send more screens or post it directly here by himself.

2 hours ago, clever_man said:

I asked Max to send more screens or post it directly here by himself.

Unfortunatly now main build haven't compiled and Max is working on part.

On 2017-6-5 at 0:10 AM, TheWeeknd said:

Is there a download link somewhere?

No just screenshot.

On Saturday, June 03, 2017 at 3:46 PM, talios said:

I think the grok the bottom interface - and I suspect this theme, whilst being an actual theme, maybe one just given out to testers, or a test theme for whatever theme engine Max has come up with.

Anyway, I suspect the bottom buttons are:

• Folders/Playlists/Artists
  • Equalizer settings ( people were asking about easy access, this would seem VERY easy access )
  • Search ( well duh )
  • Play queue

No progress bar? Well, the screenshot doesn't show animations and is just a static shot so who knows, but we do see the overlay of "0:55  [pause] 4.19" - which is progress information, we also see a clock icon ( strangely placed under the visualiser ) which MAY change this readout, or be a sleep-timer?

There's a button in the middle to the left of the random/repeat, which I guess is visualizer on/off - OR it might toggle between progress...

Voting? Seems odd, but then most players have some form of star rating system, maybe this is just a yay/nay ( works for me ) which works with some form of smart playlist.

Just looking at static screenshots really don't convey much about an application these days.

Hopefully it comes soon.... I'm eager...

Wow,so many ideas that you have,I just thought the interface simple and coarse,if beta version like this ,we don't know which song I played,and I really need progress bar

Omg, this thread is hilarious. Everyone just calm down!

I really am beginning to think that the next beta build is a myth, seems like it will never be released. Either way, bashing the dev won't achieve anything.

I do wish, however, that the dev could have fixed the bugs of the last alpha build, before embarking on an ambitious overhaul of the entire UI. Most of us are on Nougat by now, and hi-res output is a core feature of this app. It's annoying to have buggy support for hi-res.

Let's be realistic here. Neutron has a fantastic output, however, only supports hi-res via an external usb dac. So it's useless for owners of LG V20, HTC 10 etc. Plus the UI is rubbish... No other audio player app can match the output of Poweramp.

The existing UI of Poweramp is fine, in fact I like it, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why a UI overhaul is required in the first place. But I will be very happy if and when it does get released, provided all bugs related to audio output are fixed.

If anger is directed at anybody, it should be directed towards HTC. They have released a phone with high end audio capability without the required app to take advantage of the hardware. It ships with Google Play music... Can't comment on LG, as I am a HTC 10 owner, but it should be noted that Poweramp is the only app that can really take advantage of the dac & amp combo in this phone. For this I am thankful, regardless of the buggy alpha release and eternally delayed new release.

1 minute ago, HiFiZ said:

I really am beginning to think that the next beta build is a myth,

It is....as the next beta build would mean that there had to be one out already.....so it would not the next beta build, but the first one....^^

1 minute ago, HiFiZ said:

I do wish, however, that the dev could have fixed the bugs of the last alpha build, before embarking on an ambitious overhaul of the entire UI. Most of us are on Nougat by now, and hi-res output is a core feature of this app. It's annoying to have buggy support for hi-res.

Yeahh...but Alpha builds usually are there to add new features, while betas are feature complete versions in which only possible bugs should be found.

Would be a lot more unpleasent for us if he would have fixed the "minor" stuff, released a beta and in the beta added the new ui which might would have broken things again....or had started working on the ui after beta....timewise it would probably the same as now....only that people would not complain about when the beta comes, but about when the final version gets out....^^

21 minutes ago, Truthisoutthere said:

Not sure why everyone is all crazy for "material design". I don't need everything to be color changing. 

The thing is, a lot of people complaining about material design are power users focused on purpose. However, MOST people aren't like that. They see something with an ugly UI, and they don't like it. That was actually why I held off on buying Poweramp for a month or so. Max is probably trying to get more users with a clean UI, despite the delays.

15 hours ago, honestloez said:

Well, i actually prefer the Alpha Build UI.

me too, the current alpha interface is very good, at this rate i wont even WANT the beta if it ever comes into existance.

Archived