Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, mahalata said:

Max called me today and he said that the beta is being postponed until November this year. He said that there is some issue for him to work on, which would take at least a few months.

Hang on, guys!

Jesus Christ this can't be true ???

On 2017-5-25 at 1:29 AM, timwelter99 said:

What are you crybabies going on about? Sure a new design would be nice, but do you NEED it? The app works right? It plays your music doesn't it? How long do you even look at the app's design anyway? You pick an album and then you let it play in the background. 

You should look up the meaning of vaporware before spouting your b****t. Name me one, just one, app that has the same functionality Poweramp has.

Here's the thing, at present using Poweramp requires a lot more taps than most material design based music players like Phonograph and Google Play Music to get the same task done. So i don't think it's out of place to want to see a redesign. Some weeks ago someone asked me for a recommendation for an easy to use music player, i wanted to recommend Poweramp but i had to go with Phonograph because of the ease of use. 

And also Phonograph looks great, would it be such a bad thing for this app to look like something from 2016 at the very least. We all cry foul over OS updates which is considerably harder why can't we ask for app updates too. Poweramp isn't a free app or even 99¢ app, MaxMP should show some respect to those that supported his work and actually work on the app. 

it's wired that it takes you years to release a beta! or even a new material design app! seriously it's annoying and i can't sugar coat it! you need to respect your clients as they respected you and decided to support your work you gave them a date then you need to honor your word if it has bugs people will see the new work and respect that you are working on it but right now you are just telling us there is an update and nothing prove that...if it gonna take you a year after every new device come out then you won't release it ever...!

excuse my attitude but i really can't understand why so much delays while it's a beta not a final release :/

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:58 AM, mahalata said:

Max called me today and he said that the beta is being postponed until November this year. He said that there is some issue for him to work on, which would take at least a few months.

Hang on, guys!

Hoping we can see v4 before 2020?

18 hours ago, martinkem said:

Here's the thing, at present using Poweramp requires a lot more taps than most material design based music players like Phonograph and Google Play Music to get the same task done. So i don't think it's out of place to want to see a redesign. Some weeks ago someone asked me for a recommendation for an easy to use music player, i wanted to recommend Poweramp but i had to go with Phonograph because of the ease of use. 

And also Phonograph looks great, would it be such a bad thing for this app to look like something from 2016 at the very least. We all cry foul over OS updates which is considerably harder why can't we ask for app updates too. Poweramp isn't a free app or even 99¢ app, MaxMP should show some respect to those that supported his work and actually work on the app. 

what actions are you speaking off?

And why does everyone want that every app looks the same? Why use other apps then at all if all look and feel the same? Why then give out money for a player if google play is free and looks and feels the same?

8 hours ago, MiZoSpaDe said:

it's wired that it takes you years to release a beta! or even a new material design app! seriously it's annoying and i can't sugar coat it! you need to respect your clients as they respected you and decided to support your work you gave them a date then you need to honor your word if it has bugs people will see the new work and respect that you are working on it but right now you are just telling us there is an update and nothing prove that...if it gonna take you a year after every new device come out then you won't release it ever...!

excuse my attitude but i really can't understand why so much delays while it's a beta not a final release :/

It's not that weird actually - frustrating yes, and I'm 100% positive it's just as, if not MORE frustrating for Max. Sometime's bug fixes/changes in code that may look trivial, or fair insignificant to users can be quite an extensive change of an underlying system. In the case of the material redesign, and what ever related theming engine/support Max has worked up - providing fixes/support for different versions of Android, or specific device manufacturers ( as was recently sited by Andre ) could potentially require small changes at the lowest ends of the stack, unfortunately - in those scenarios you often end up with LOTS of small changes at different points in the stack, that all need to be fixed, often in circular patterns of fix one, uncover another issue, fix one, uncover another.

I have similar issues often in code at work, everyone does. It's a horrible place to be in, as those seemingly small changes can eat and eat and eat away at time that would be better used watching TV, eating pizza, writing features that demanding users are bleating endlessly for ( date sorting fixes *cough* ). It's frustrating as hell for the developer as it's nigh on impossible to put a timeline on the shifting time of those fixes. It's frustrating as hell for the users who are unable to watch/follow the progress as one might do when internal to an organisation and can follow the CI builds.

It's also totally frustrating that, often these small issues prevent a working build from actually being made, or at least one that won't just blow up in your face the moment you do something.

It'll be released when it's released, there's only a certain number of hours in the day that one can lend to these activities as well without going blind or stir crazy.

Am I eager to see the release done? Hell yes, do I want it rushed? Hell no.  Do I want more visibility and progress reports that might go over the heads or more users? Actually, as a developer, podcaster, and indirectly investor ( once, long long ago, remember that folks - ONE TIME PAYMENT of so LITTLE MONEY ) I'd love to actually hear what the challenges Max has been facing, and whatever solutions were employed to resolve them.

Lets just be patient ok?

Now - MAX - WHERES THE RELEASE?!?!? :)))

1 hour ago, talios said:

It's not that weird actually - frustrating yes, and I'm 100% positive it's just as, if not MORE frustrating for Max. Sometime's bug fixes/changes in code that may look trivial, or fair insignificant to users can be quite an extensive change of an underlying system. In the case of the material redesign, and what ever related theming engine/support Max has worked up - providing fixes/support for different versions of Android, or specific device manufacturers ( as was recently sited by Andre ) could potentially require small changes at the lowest ends of the stack, unfortunately - in those scenarios you often end up with LOTS of small changes at different points in the stack, that all need to be fixed, often in circular patterns of fix one, uncover another issue, fix one, uncover another.

I have similar issues often in code at work, everyone does. It's a horrible place to be in, as those seemingly small changes can eat and eat and eat away at time that would be better used watching TV, eating pizza, writing features that demanding users are bleating endlessly for ( date sorting fixes *cough* ). It's frustrating as hell for the developer as it's nigh on impossible to put a timeline on the shifting time of those fixes. It's frustrating as hell for the users who are unable to watch/follow the progress as one might do when internal to an organisation and can follow the CI builds.

It's also totally frustrating that, often these small issues prevent a working build from actually being made, or at least one that won't just blow up in your face the moment you do something.

It'll be released when it's released, there's only a certain number of hours in the day that one can lend to these activities as well without going blind or stir crazy.

Am I eager to see the release done? Hell yes, do I want it rushed? Hell no.  Do I want more visibility and progress reports that might go over the heads or more users? Actually, as a developer, podcaster, and indirectly investor ( once, long long ago, remember that folks - ONE TIME PAYMENT of so LITTLE MONEY ) I'd love to actually hear what the challenges Max has been facing, and whatever solutions were employed to resolve them.

Lets just be patient ok?

Now - MAX - WHERES THE RELEASE?!?!? :)))

That would make an interesting read or podcast to listen to, Action Launcher Dev Chris Lacy completed a similar project by completely rebuilding his app.

Loads of outrage as he launched the app as a separate version requiring another payment, when you listen to him detail the work he put in, and the personal issues he went through, completely understandable.

This may be Max's first really attempt at UI in years, of I'm a subscriber paying a monthly fee, I'm complaining, I paid once, I'll show some patience, "And the public gets what the public wants, but I want nothing this society's got....."

2 hours ago, yuuki said:

what actions are you speaking off?

And why does everyone want that every app looks the same? Why use other apps then at all if all look and feel the same? Why then give out money for a player if google play is free and looks and feels the same?

Have you used Phonograph or Google Play Music? If you haven't take a moment to use it and then tell me if it's easier to use. 

5 minutes ago, rafas92 said:

Hmm. I think it is May 31 ... maybe though some comment why there is no update? It would take, given the huge number of interested ...

I would guess because of

And btw,.....he never said that it will be released in may, just that he plans to get it out in may

"Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May"

7 hours ago, martinkem said:

Have you used Phonograph or Google Play Music? If you haven't take a moment to use it and then tell me if it's easier to use. 

i did any what exactly requires less taps there? Changing the eq settings is way clunkier there for example.

2 hours ago, Catman51 said:

Tried Phonograph, sorry, this app is way better.

Of course Poweramp is better, if Phonograph was better i wouldn't be here. However Phonograph does somethings better like navigating between the playing screen to the songs or artist tabs. 

And that's why a rework is necessary 

13 minutes ago, yuuki said:

i did any what exactly requires less taps there? Changing the eq settings is way clunkier there for example.

Oh come on, look at what you had to go refer to.. Who ever needs to access the eq settings regularly? But you would would need to be able to access the playlists quicker. I been using this app for years and getting around is a lot more clunkier than any of the new music players like Phonograph and Google Play Music.  Don't let your bias get in the way of making this app better

1 hour ago, clever_man said:

How do you think?

It's hard to judge from one screen shot, you need to see more, how the animations work. Again waiting patiently.

It maybe helpful if the screen shots were posted directly here rather than 4pda.

2 minutes ago, woper map said:

It maybe helpful if the screen shots were posted directly here rather than 4pda.

How it will helpful? I posted it on 4pda and after few minuts I posted it here just because on 4pda I spend more times.

Archived