Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Vince911 said:

Hey Max, 

Thanks for the update. 

Just one quick question, 

Will you be fixing the file access permission issue with 6.0+ devices, which prevents editing song file tags if they are stored on external memory cards? 

Better off using this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ADnet.Pro

Used to have a free version. Just throw the files on internal storage, edit and put back on SD card. Bought this app on 5.0 and still use it to this day.

3 hours ago, BROKEN said:

Better off using this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ADnet.Pro

Used to have a free version. Just throw the files on internal storage, edit and put back on SD card. Bought this app on 5.0 and still use it to this day.

Yeah, I've tried that app before.
It would certainly work for me if only I had a library of few songs; unfortunately I have close to 1800 songs stored on external memory.

It'd make the whole process really tedious as I've very little space left on internal storage, swapping them back and forth would be tiring and confusing.

1 hour ago, Vince911 said:

It would certainly work for me if only I had a library of few songs; unfortunately I have close to 1800 songs stored on external memory.

If you have 1800 songs to work on, then doing anything in Poweramp is going to be a horrendously long-winded process anyway. I would suggest using a proper PC rather than anything on a mobile device, and use a decent batch tag editor (I use TagScanner for example).

Andre

19 hours ago, maxmp said:

Two news.
The bad one: an additional round of device specific optimizing and polishing is required for Poweramp v3.0, this delays release. As indicated before, v3 will run on Androids 5.0+ (O included). Poweramp v2 stays for 2.3-4.4.
Good one: everything works and I'm on finishing steps. Just stuff like Samsung Mali driver bug in phones up to S8+ causing inability to render some simple stuff in 60fps need to be taken care of (if interested, some Samsung Mali based devices - the ones with Exynos - have an issue in OpenGL HWUI renderer - they lag at render like 40 nine-patch images probably due to HWUI caching issues on those devices).

Keep tuned.

does this mean it won't come out at the end of May as stated before?

22 hours ago, maxmp said:

Two news.
The bad one: an additional round of device specific optimizing and polishing is required for Poweramp v3.0, this delays release. As indicated before, v3 will run on Androids 5.0+ (O included). Poweramp v2 stays for 2.3-4.4.
Good one: everything works and I'm on finishing steps. Just stuff like Samsung Mali driver bug in phones up to S8+ causing inability to render some simple stuff in 60fps need to be taken care of (if interested, some Samsung Mali based devices - the ones with Exynos - have an issue in OpenGL HWUI renderer - they lag at render like 40 nine-patch images probably due to HWUI caching issues on those devices).

Keep tuned.

So June its is then.. 

Anyone fancy a wager on when we're  geting v3? Personally i think we'd get it just in time for Christmas..  

8 hours ago, MiZoSpaDe said:

does this mean it won't come out at the end of May as stated before?

I wish I could give you a definitely answer, but as Max has said the development game is notoriously unpredictable, and sometimes just one unexpected issue can take days or weeks to resolve. Given that he stated that some device-specific issues have caused a few further delays, I do wonder whether still hoping for a May release may now be a bit optimistic.

I am going to be away with my family for the whole of the week starting 29 May by the way, but I'll try to catch up with any outstanding forum issues when I return - and hopefully I'll have a shiny new beta version of Poweramp to install when I get back! Erm...

Andre

If it is because of the Android O, I think Max you should first give up the adjustment and so the next version to continue to adapt. At least this can be released at the end of the month, but also to comply with your agreement and can also alleviate some people's anger.:(

2 hours ago, Brainscollector said:

One word - Pathetic. 

Month after month it's delayed with some excuses. It's God damned beta, not final release, so bugs are expected to occur in beta. This is just pure bs, I don't believe this because it's pure bs.

toxicity never made much sense and it is caused by frustration. frustration cause the currently functional app... (insert reason here)

With such attitude it can take forever, now Android O and S8 are excuse, next it will be some other minor thing and need of "tweaking it just so it will run smoothly", another month just for small adjustments for new Android update, another to test something... And it can go and on and on and on 

On 23.05.2017 at 4:06 PM, maxmp said:

Two news.

Keep tuned.

viraneden_rusya_baskanligina_ulasan_vlad

What are you crybabies going on about? Sure a new design would be nice, but do you NEED it? The app works right? It plays your music doesn't it? How long do you even look at the app's design anyway? You pick an album and then you let it play in the background. 

You should look up the meaning of vaporware before spouting your b****t. Name me one, just one, app that has the same functionality Poweramp has.

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Given that he stated that some device-specific issues have caused a few further delays, I do wonder whether still hoping for a May release may now be a bit optimistic.

Isn't this one of the points of betas tho - if its fine for the majority of users, push a new beta. Work on those device-specific issues, push another update. Unless those specific devices are like the Samsung Galaxy or another high-profile MAJOR player this seems exactly what beta releases are for.

Unfortunately it is what it is, and as Max seems to be a perfectionist, we can but wait.

5 minutes ago, timwelter99 said:

but do you NEED it? The app works right? It plays your music doesn't it?

Frankly - scrobbling only kinda works, it updates the "now playing" but never the "played" tracks. I'd LOVE Android Auto support, which I somehow doubt is in here.

Functionality? I still think GMMP and Neutron play Poweramp away in functionality - god - a play queue that IS ACTUALLY A QUEUE - you know how queues work? They remove items when processed, I hate how a lot of players don't do this. Now, if you're talking DAC stuff - I believe Neutron has support for that, maybe not to same level, but then I don't currently use any DACs ( at least not via the phone - that's all bluetooth ).

OK, I've unlocked this topic, but please play nicely or it will be locked again.

Andre

P.S. I won't be available to check the forums much over the next five days, so I've let Max know so he or Alex can pop in to check if there's anything urgent here in the meantime. ETA requests will probably not be considered as urgent. :)

On 5/25/2017 at 2:38 AM, talios said:

Frankly - scrobbling only kinda works, it updates the "now playing" but never the "played" tracks. I'd LOVE Android Auto support, which I somehow doubt is in here.

Functionality? I still think GMMP and Neutron play Poweramp away in functionality - god - a play queue that IS ACTUALLY A QUEUE - you know how queues work? They remove items when processed, I hate how a lot of players don't do this. Now, if you're talking DAC stuff - I believe Neutron has support for that, maybe not to same level, but then I don't currently use any DACs ( at least not via the phone - that's all bluetooth ).

I'm with you on scrobbling, took me hours to get it to work.

I actually hadn't really looked into Neutron but I feel it's very user unfriendly, I've been looking for a way to change album art for 20 minutes and still can't find it. Might just be me being an idiot though. I have used GMMP for a while and I remember canning it because I wasn't able to edit tags correctly and had some problem with it detecting cue files. 

I didn't know there was a problem with the queue. Probably because I never use it. Valid point though.

22 minutes ago, timwelter99 said:

I'm with you on scrobbling, took me hours to get it to work.

I actually hadn't really looked into Neutron but I feel it's very user unfriendly, I've been looking for a way to change album art for 20 minutes and still can't find it. Might just be me being an idiot though. I have used GMMP for a while and I remember canning it because I wasn't able to edit tags correctly and had some problem with it detecting cue files. 

I didn't know there was a problem with the queue. Probably because I never use it. Valid point though.

Stupid question, scrobbling?

4 hours ago, BROKEN said:

Stupid question, scrobbling?

Last.FM scrobbling ( recording / tracking of plays ). Poweramp will record the "currently playing" song, but not trigger the "I actually listened to this song" state.  At least, not with the Simple LastFM client. Maybe I should go back to the official client? Or some other ( even tho it works fine for all other players ).

13 hours ago, timwelter99 said:

I have been researching android music players (have only used blackplayer previously which is nice but can only use the built in audio decoder which limits it and means I cant use replaygain to normalise the volumes) and the general consensus seems to be that Neutron sounds the best of all players and Poweramp a close second.  I couldn't tell the difference in my own testing (with flacs on my S8+) but there are so many options in Neutron I may have missed something (I did max out everything related to max quality though and never use any EQ) or it might be that they were all comparing neutron to Poweramp 2 and perhaps 3 sounds a lot better and is now on par with neutron, I dont know as I have never tried Poweramp 2.  Neutron certainly seems more customisable and has more options relating to sound output.  But like you say, the interface is ridiculous.  It has the most clunky unfriendly hard to use interface I have ever seen in an app, and its been like it for years.  I reckon half of poweramps users are probably Neutron users that can't stand the interface :D.

My main issue with Poweramp is that it seems to have been a loooong time since the last update (9 months at least for v2? and even longer for v3!?) while Neutron is at least being constantly updated.

33 minutes ago, mahalata said:

Max called me today and he said that the beta is being postponed until November this year. He said that there is some issue for him to work on, which would take at least a few months.

Hang on, guys!

I hope you are joking.

Archived