Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'm part way between. I don't like seeing products that are almost unusable getting released as beta-test (or even worse as final builds) and then getting gradually fixed over time. However I do like regular incremental additions to working apps, rather than once every few years getting a totally new version.

Andre

Definitely agree here about unusable things - like the early stages of Max setting up this new UI stuff - no one needs to see that.  But now - with a month to go til final release - things should be 95% there or higher, we know the release coming won't be the final release since it's still called beta, and chances are there will be minor glitches once a vast large community see it. But at this late stage, I'm actually kinda hoping there's some gnarly major issue that's blocking the release, cause other wise it feels like procrastination and perfection hunting. I've definitely fallen into that trap over the last 20+ years of development, audio editing, photography.

But I digress, this is turning into a general software dev. conversation now - that's best left for my podcast :)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, crashjant said:

Hmmmm. Tomorrow is the middle of May .....

59e8e5c5975d96aeeb37f6433487d95c.jpg

On 2017-4-25 at 8:04 PM, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

That of course is not speeding things up.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

:lol::lol::lol:

Just to chime in here that I've enjoyed the player so far, waiting for hi-res audio to be patched for Nougat but it's not a big deal because the Zenfone 3 is already amazing in "low" res.

Developers know full well the reactions of self-entitled users.

1) Provide updates and ETA, they will demand more for previews, images, line-by-line changelogs.

2) Provide a BETA that is full of bugs, they will curse and swear at every turn.

3) Aim to provide a BETA that is bug free, they will whine about the time it takes for the BETA to appear.

4) Promise an ETA for tomorrow, they will whine that it should have come out today.

5) Promise an ETA for today, they will whine that it should have come out last month.

Best thing is to let a 3rd party handle the whiners, because the 3rd party won't get personal and make regrettable reactionary decisions. Doing that is stooping to the level of the average clueless user.

7 minutes ago, quirK said:

Just to chime in here that I've enjoyed the player so far, waiting for hi-res audio to be patched for Nougat but it's not a big deal because the Zenfone 3 is already amazing in "low" res.

Developers know full well the reactions of self-entitled users.

1) Provide updates and ETA, they will demand more for previews, images, line-by-line changelogs.

2) Provide a BETA that is full of bugs, they will curse and swear at every turn.

3) Aim to provide a BETA that is bug free, they will whine about the time it takes for the BETA to appear.

4) Promise an ETA for tomorrow, they will whine that it should have come out today.

5) Promise an ETA for today, they will whine that it should have come out last month.

Best thing is to let a 3rd party handle the whiners, because the 3rd party won't get personal and make regrettable reactionary decisions. Doing that is stooping to the level of the average clueless user.

And I'm annoyed by these "defenders" like you.

19 hours ago, Stevieex23 said:

Everyone just calm down, we know it's going to come, we will expect it in May and we could get it any day now, we are all excited and are anticipating the app, no need to bash on each other!

I agree,maybe we think too much ,Max will release beta version in May 2018

It would be nice to have at least some screenshots of what's going on, like the new "current playing" UI, player notification and so on.
At least users can say "he's doing well" and they will wait a little bit.
Hope this won't take a lot of time at this stage; it has been a whole year without new alpha builds and broken Nougat support for Hi-Res audio.

I know I'm a bit late but hey, I'm excited! Love Poweramp and it's features. Hope those weird little (nit picky oriented) bugs are finally squashed (like album art glitching out, skipping scroll bar, playback/ skipping bugs, etc). But yeah, looking forward to it! 

Also, for those who have programmed will understand this, but programming can be a b**** sometimes and not cooperate. As many have said before, I'd rather have a music player that's working fine with minor bugs than have an incomplete or buggy player. I believe in Max's coding abilities but again, no matter how pro you are bugs will always occur and debugging it all can sometimes take a lot time. 

Archived