Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

4 minutes ago, woper map said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, would it be possible to share some previews, at least users would have an insight into what's coming, it may generate a more positive discussion rather than the current vacuum

It took six months to get that far, it might be better to let Max get on the with coding now. :)

Andre

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

That of course is not speeding things up.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Thanks for the response Max, good luck with your work.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Thank you for the update. It's really great to see that development is moving along, even if estimated times are pushed back from what was previously expected :)

Do you have any plans to add a dark mode? 

On 4/25/2017 at 10:04 PM, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Thanks!

What's the point making next version working 100% flawless if it's gonna be BETA?

4 hours ago, Volume said:

What's the point making next version working 100% flawless if it's gonna be BETA?

Why release something that you know doesn't work properly? That's more what alpha tests are for. A beta should ideally be as close to fully working as the developer can get, but to provide more field testing for picking up anything odd that only shows up in the wild.

Andre

8 hours ago, Volume said:

You realize that alpha, beta, etc, is just a name right? "Stable" software can be buggy as well. It not a beta tag that puts me off using any software. 

No complaints from me. I installed 704 on my Android N LG V20, & it works astoundingly well. Clicked on Hifi DAC, & my re-ripped Flac files sound amazing...through my headphones, through my AUX port in my vehicle, & through my AV receiver at home..

Thanks for chasing this.........

Good news from developer but little bit confusing with "Once the official v3 release is complete, Max will turn his attentions to building new features for 'v4', which will include:....."

Why not merge the V4 features at V3? Because its was planned before V3 relese. (I know writing thousands of codes is hard working)

5 hours ago, Mohax said:

Why not merge the V4 features at V3? Because its was planned before V3 relese. (I know writing thousands of codes is hard working)

Because v3 would never get an official release if he keeps adding new things before committing to an actual release. You have to get to the stage of 'feature locking' a product for final testing before release. Then once that's done you can start looking to adding more stuff for the next version (much of which will be added the the product in the interim I assume).

Andre

This may be good news but I'm practically jaded at this point from years of waiting. So here's a joke. Things that will happen before the official Poweramp v3.0 release:

- 1000 Marvel movies
- Cure for cancer
- Mars Colonization
- Faster than light space travel
- Half life 3

14 hours ago, DarXide said:

This may be good news but I'm practically jaded at this point from years of waiting. So here's a joke. Things that will happen before the official Poweramp v3.0 release:

- 1000 Marvel movies
- Cure for cancer
- Mars Colonization
- Faster than light space travel
- Half life 3

Half Life 3 is by far the most difficult to happen.... 

@andrewilley

17 hours ago, Arnas said:

Loving the alpha right now, sad to hear that i won't be able to use v3 on my sony nw-zx2 :(

Unless Sony decide to treat their users to anything more modern than JellyBean, I think you'll find there is a lot of stuff that won't run on it. I suspect they regard it as a stand-alone product though, basically just a platform designed to run their software.

Andre

On 25.04.2017 at 3:04 PM, maxmp said:

Sorry for the delay)

Thanks!

"Polishing each feature until it works 100%" - I like this approach, I'm a perfectionist too. Please take your time and deliver us a great product as always.
The current alpha works very well apart from the Hi-Res on my HTC 10, so I can wait.

Best wishes and kudos for your work, Max!

On 2017-4-24 at 8:57 AM, crashjant said:

GUI

image.jpg

And now the question. Why do some people have information and even screenshots, and for us, the community, there is no time for a simple answer?

That looks hideous. Altho without seeing how it actually works in practise, with animations etc. very hard to judge. It might also be a limited/cut-down test theme as well so in reality it could be the most awesome thing ever. Gut reaction tho is not all that enthused, still - can't wait to actually see this in action.

So the beta is in dropping in May, which we're in now - bring it on.  Altho, wasn't the beta also dropping in February, then April? ( Not that I can talk, my own software projects are so delayed I know how it can go ).

On 2017-5-2 at 10:46 PM, KopaneDePooj said:

"Polishing each feature until it works 100%" - I like this approach, I'm a perfectionist too. Please take your time and deliver us a great product as always.
The current alpha works very well apart from the Hi-Res on my HTC 10, so I can wait.

Best wishes and kudos for your work, Max!

Isn't that commonly regarded these days as one of the worst ways to deliver software these days - agile rah rah - deliver early, deliver often, solicit feedback, evolve, improve.  Nothing will EVER be 100%.

57 minutes ago, talios said:

Isn't that commonly regarded these days as one of the worst ways to deliver software these days - agile rah rah - deliver early, deliver often, solicit feedback, evolve, improve.  Nothing will EVER be 100%.

"Agile". That to me sounds like an excuse to deliver rushed, bad software. But I'm old fashioned :) I also don't like the speed at which the economy moves with new device every year. I liked back when a product had a bigger life and was better produced. I agree that nothing can't be done perfectly, and there are always new issues to take care of. But I like to go the extra mile early, than to have to always go back and apply workarounds and fixes.

19 minutes ago, KopaneDePooj said:

I also don't like the speed at which the economy moves with new device every year. I liked back when a product had a bigger life and was better produced. 

I'm part way between. I don't like seeing products that are almost unusable getting released as beta-test (or even worse as final builds) and then getting gradually fixed over time. However I do like regular incremental additions to working apps, rather than once every few years getting a totally new version.

I totally understand Max's position with major changes though - such as a complete new audio engine, or an entire new user interface - where he can't release any sort of half-way stage until the whole job is complete - otherwise the half-done product simply wouldn't be usable.

But once that is all finally complete and we get the official v3 release, I personally hope he can get back to adding regular small incremental feature requests (these forums are awash with suitable candidates) rather than tackling another major project that requires another year's work between updates. I've referred to it as tackling the "low-hanging fruit" by allowing lots of relatively simple-to-program new features to be added fairly quickly, rather than a few long-term major items.

Andre

Archived