Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

13 hours ago, Xeltos said:

Btw how do you turn on hi res audio?  Is it a toggle able feature or always on? 

Settings > Audio > Output . If high-rez is available for your device, you should see the option in there to select it as the output method for AUX/headset.

Andre

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, andrewilley said:

No extra payment needed, v3 will be available to existing licence holders.

Andre

I bought Poweramp a long time ago not even expecting any updates. Since Max is revamping this app, is there a way to donate money?

1 hour ago, Mystic_Powerampfan said:

I suppose the dev has the potential to make it an audio and video player in future v4 release ?

It'd be kinda great to have the current audiophilic effects to video playback/movies too....?

Crazy idea. I'm sure he will not do it. Need a video? Buy third-party applications.

On 19/04/2017 at 1:25 PM, andrewilley said:

Settings > Audio > Output . If high-rez is available for your device, you should see the option in there to select it as the output method for AUX/headset.

Andre

I have Bacon with android 7.1.2 installed.  Somewhere I read that OnePlus One was supported.  

I don't see option for Hi-res Audio. 

I see OpeSCl and AudioTrack outputs. 

1 hour ago, Xeltos said:

I have Bacon with android 7.1.2 installed.  Somewhere I read that OnePlus One was supported.  

I don't see option for Hi-res Audio. 

I see OpeSCl and AudioTrack outputs. 

Unfortunately Hi-res audio is not supported on Android 7.x. We are all waiting on v3 beta update, which is promised to fix this issue (at least for some devices).

An idea of video playback in Poweramp is just weird. Poweramp is a music player, period.

13 minutes ago, AdamZamoyski said:

Unfortunately Hi-res audio is not supported on Android 7.x. We are all waiting on v3 beta update, which is promised to fix this issue (at least for some devices).

An idea of video playback in Poweramp is just weird. Poweramp is a music player, period.

I have bacon with 7.1.2 installed (Resurrection remix rom). Hi res audio is available for Wired Headset/AUX and USB DAC. I have it working with my headset without issues. Unfortunately, bluetooth audio don't support Hi-res

2 hours ago, jomaga said:

I have bacon with 7.1.2 installed (Resurrection remix rom). Hi res audio is available for Wired Headset/AUX and USB DAC. I have it working with my headset without issues. Unfortunately, bluetooth audio don't support Hi-res

Lucky You. My phone, and many others, regarding request thread, are not supported on Nougat. 

5 hours ago, Mystic_Powerampfan said:

I suppose the dev has the potential to make it an audio and video player in future v4 release ?

It's taken 4+ years to get somewhere near the release of v3 for audio only, I can't see any chance at all of video being supported in the near (or even distant) future.

Andre

While I was very happy to see this thread initially, I'm starting to think it was a mistake. I know what a development cycle means and the type of problems a dev (especially a single man) can face and I do not blame max in the slightest. Now, I think this thread (or actually giving ETAs was a bad idea) is because some people tend to react in a bad way. There's a reason why CMs first rule is "Don't ask for ETAs", it applies to any kind of development stuff.

Another good piece of wisdom that comes to mind is "I prefer a late but good product, rather than a rushed and poorly executed one".

Another really frustrating thing about this is that the dev seems to be active on twitter (as of two days ago) and trolling people who are asking for updates on there.  I understand single dev, I understand the road blocks.  The lack of communication is unacceptable, and should not be seen as such.  The delays are....troubling, but ultimately fine.  But this lack of communication may wind up horrible.

For example, what happens if the revamp IS released (after a year of silence and no shared concept work) and....we all hate it?  Then what?  What if its terrible, and an actual downgrade from V2?  Do we wait another year because the vision just didn't end up being the correct one?  There is a ready and willing testing community here, and the fact that NO concept art, even a now playing screen or a concept of the menus has been shown....successful devs do not work like this, for the most part.

I acknowledge that Poweramp is (by far) the best music player around, and I'm pretty sure that those on here agree.  But at this point, I wish it wasn't.  There are a lot of "single person" dev teams that share their projects and get feed back in order to make the app as good as possible.  Its a shame that they don't have some of the unique things that Poweramp does (the options, etc).  I think that there would be a much better chance of Poweramp becoming the player that people want it to be if the dev open sourced it at this point, so that people with the time and the motivation can work on it.  Max doesn't have that same motivation anymore, and that's fine.  But not acknowledging it is also disingenuous.  If you're having creative road blocks, seek help.  No redesign, ground up or not, takes this much time if the dev treats it like a full time job (which with the estimated amount of money the app has gained him, I'd bet it is).  

Taking the money and living the good life is NOT a bad thing, but the way Max is handling all of this is.  I think that if Max discontinued/put the project on hiatus, there may actually be a group of people who would work harder at making a successor to it, but with the carrot dangling going on there isn't much incentive to work on a music project when the belief is that a new Poweramp was going to be released for over a year now (as someone else pointed out a few posts back, Max had commented that the UI rework was almost done nearly a year ago).  So regardless of if it ended up not working out for him and he had to restart, that's how long the community has been hesitant to start work on a new music player project that would work as a (hopefully money making) successor, and that sucks.

2 hours ago, andrei1015 said:

While I was very happy to see this thread initially, I'm starting to think it was a mistake. I know what a development cycle means and the type of problems a dev (especially a single man) can face and I do not blame max in the slightest. Now, I think this thread (or actually giving ETAs was a bad idea) is because some people tend to react in a bad way. There's a reason why CMs first rule is "Don't ask for ETAs", it applies to any kind of development stuff.

Another good piece of wisdom that comes to mind is "I prefer a late but good product, rather than a rushed and poorly executed one".

This is absolutely true, all of what You said. But - if You say A, You must say B. Maybe giving an ETA was a mistake, but if You did that, You are obliged to update the project status, especially if there are some, expected or not, difficulties. IF You respect Your customers...

I literally can't imagine the situation, that Max can't find 5 minutes to update project status. Alpha started about year ago, this thread - a month ago. During this time there were so many 5-minute periods, one of them for sure could be used up to send an information to community.

43 minutes ago, AdamZamoyski said:

This is absolutely true, all of what You said. But - if You say A, You must say B. Maybe giving an ETA was a mistake, but if You did that, You are obliged to update the project status, especially if there are some, expected or not, difficulties. IF You respect Your customers...

I literally can't imagine the situation, that Max can't find 5 minutes to update project status. Alpha started about year ago, this thread - a month ago. During this time there were so many 5-minute periods, one of them for sure could be used up to send an information to community.

Absolutely agree with you

1 hour ago, AdamZamoyski said:

Let's suppose he does say something. Pretty sure it's going to be something like: it's not done yet, it will be available when it is fully finished. "Fully finished" is such an ambiguous term really. I am also curious about the new app, believe me, but at the same time I realise the app we currently have is working perfectly. Kind of a "If it ain't broken don't fix it" type of situation.

1 minute ago, andrei1015 said:

Let's suppose he does say something. Pretty sure it's going to be something like: it's not done yet, it will be available when it is fully finished. "Fully finished" is such an ambiguous term really. I am also curious about the new app, believe me, but at the same time I realise the app we currently have is working perfectly. Kind of a "If it ain't broken don't fix it" type of situation.

What he will say depends only on his responsibility for this project and respect for the community.

I can't say, that everything is working properly. I was happy with alpha 703 until I've updated my phone to Android 7.1. To say the truth, I've forgot, that Poweramp v3 should be released. After android 7 update Hi-res output stopped working (there is no option for wired headphones). I've started searching info through the Internet and found Hi-Res output request thread on this forum - found out, that my problem is not isolated. I've posted there about my issue with phone model and android version, just informative (that was my first post on this forum). And finally i've found this thread, with information, that new version of Poweramp, which will fix hi-res output is planned at the end of the march... 

I'll probably never think about updating Poweramp, if hi-res would work after updating to Android Nougat on alpha 703/704 version.

3 hours ago, AdamZamoyski said:

Again, he is also on twitter making jokes about people waiting for the update.  He has the time to update here.  This is a fact, not speculation.

4 hours ago, guyverzero said:

Another really frustrating thing about this is that the dev seems to be active on twitter (as of two days ago) and trolling people who are asking for updates on there.

While I have no idea why Max isn't able to spare a few minutes to post a brief message here himself (I have asked him several times if he could), what makes you think the Twitter account is manned by him?

And having checked, I don't see any trolling of users who were asking for updates anyway. There is a rather cute reply to someone who posted a picture of Cookie Monster waiting, which asked if a cookie would make him happier... is that what you meant by trolling? I so, please let me welcome you to the internet.

Andre

There is just no excuse left anymore. It's childish, disrespectful and frankly, at this point, I'm just over this ridiculous episode. I just wish there was another app that did Hi-Res on Nougat. I'd never look at Poweramp again. 

A year and half for a damn UI update, when core features are broken.

A year of ZERO communication from the developer.

A year of excuses.

I agree with every word @guyverzero said above.

I've said it a couple times already on this thread - a developer that doesn't give a shit about his customers and acts like a 5 year old playing hide go seek, does not deserve my (or any other customer's) money, time, respect or admiration anymore. Way to turn YEARS of admiration and respect (from paying customers mind you!) into frustration and disappointment.

It's not exactly about the unicorn update either. It's about the way things have been handled (or not handled) by the developer and an apologist attitude of "well, you paid for it once and the app worked the day you paid for it" that winds most people up.

So long Poweramp. Good bye!

1 hour ago, tom said:

Greetings Poweramp forum. Well... what did I miss?

Basically nothing. Poweramp V3 was announced a month ago, the estimated release window came and went resulting in an increasing amount of posts by angry forum members wondering where the update is, and a complete lack of response from Max himself, which has led to further complaining and skepticism of the future of Poweramp.

5 hours ago, spacebar2011 said:

A year and half for a damn UI update, when core features are broken.

Which core features of the release product (currently build 588/589) are broken for you?

As for the timescale, yes the amount of time that programming takes frustrates me too - but as I've said in the past, if you feel you can do it quicker or better then you are very welcome to write your own app, and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing it.

Andre

Archived