Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2017 at 1:50 PM, andrewilley said:

UPDATE!!!! The new build will be released when it is ready to be released

Andre

How's that?

I know everyone is excited but annoying someone with "are we there yet" requests generally just pisses them off.

7 hours ago, KUSOsan said:

How's that?

I know everyone is excited but annoying someone with "are we there yet" requests generally just pisses them off.

Hi Andre is there any new news on the release date?

Thanks

Deano

Sorry Andre didnt see the post before so please ignore my impatience 

On 22/03/2017 at 11:20 PM, andrewilley said:

As you are probably aware, the Poweramp developer, Max, has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3, which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code so has taken over a year to develop.

It's not quite ready to be released for open testing yet, and although he would like to be able to get it out by the end of the March it may well drop over into April. It's very hard to predict the exact development time - as a quick example, the bottom navigation panel, which was predicted to take a couple of days to complete, has already consumed a week's work.

Max has all the custom components ready (buttons, new Album Art effect, lists, grids, now bottom navigation, etc., with everything animated) but during assembling - partly due to his attention to the fine details - it is taking a bit more time than anticipated. He doesn't want to just release it as is, with jerky animation and some non consistent behaviors.

Slide-in side menus (drawers) have been dropped completely. All user interface and navigation is now gesture and button driven, and the primary supplied skin will be white. However when using visualizations a black background will be used as they cannot be rendered on white.

Third-party skins will need to be redesigned for v3, and Max will be releasing the documentation for that closer to the main app release. The final release will include fixes for all supported hi-res audio devices and more (mostly Chinese) brands. There won't be any other changes to the existing alpha-test audio engine or effects.

The next beta release will basically be close to the intended v3 release, so effectively feature complete, and the official release will hopefully follow shortly. There won't be a lengthy delay like there was between alpha and beta. Also, Poweramp v3 will be Android 5.0+ (Lollipop+) only, although the old PA v2 version will get a few bug fixes and will remain available for users of Android 2.3 - 4.4.

Max has said he will become more active here on the forums once the beta-test is released to catch feedback.

Once the official v3 release is complete, Max will turn his attentions to building new features for 'v4', which will include:

• Audio effect plugin framework, with sample projects.
  • More configuration options for existing Poweramp DSPs (e.g. parametric equalizer interface and selectable 5-8-10-16-24-32 EQ bands).
  • DLNA/Chromecast output (if Google will stop changing the Chromecast APIs all the time!).
  • A tablet-specific user interface (there is no specific tablet layout included with v3).

Andre

I just can't wait for the v3 update. And the increased EQ bands in v4 is something I've always wanted!

On 08/04/2017 at 11:14 AM, Deano1974 said:

Hi Andre is there any new news on the release date?

Sorry, I've not heard anything more since the info I posted at the start of this thread. I've emailed Max a few times since though, asking if he could spare a few monents to post a comment in this thread, but I assume he's been too busy.

I'll be away for the next few days, but will try to log in here once a day to check on progress and any urgent questions.

Andre

Good evening.

I have now read several months and have been waiting patiently but the policy I find a little weird.

I am not one of the calls for updates but I do not find it good if you as a developer of a product, which one then offers to buy does not even two minutes time to the buyers To give a statement about the state of things and sorry but after many weeks everyone has a few minutes, especially since it is good for me To give a statement about the state of affairs and sorry but after many weeks everyone has a few minutes, especially since it belongs to me for good sound and support.

I have worked for a long time in a Rom team with a great community and learned that from time to time a clear statement saves a lot of time and nerves. Me personally interferes with the last build Only the black background, therefore I look for months always here again in it the update gave,.

Today I had, after it was called at the end of March and still nothing happened to the first time correctly puked. Even if my posting does not change anything. 

Sorry for the long posting but sometimes it's good To say what one has to say.

Regards , Tylog

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Sorry, I've not heard anything more since the info I posted at the start of this thread. I've emailed Max a few times since though, asking if he could spare a few monents to post a comment in this thread, but I assume he's been too busy.

I'll be away for the next few days, but will try to log in here once a day to check on progress and any urgent questions.

Andre

Thanks Andre for the reply, most of appreciate all that you do, we know its not an easy job being a moderator as everyones needs are different 

Well done on the great work you do

Cheers

"the UI redesign development is finishing, but a chunk is too big to swallow, thus the delays. Basically, the animations, transitions, lists, grids, seekbar, etc. were built from zero, as Android platform just doesn't give what's needed." That's what he said 8 months back. Even if he replies here, would it really mean anything?

I'm tempted to vent out how childish this whole thing has been for the last year or more, but, I know its not going to help. Suffice to say, if he ever wants to start a business of any sort, this is exactly how NOT to go about it. I mean, yeah, you can shoot everyone that tries to get a reasonable response from the developer, but, truth of the matter is, people only have so much patience and appetite for non-answers.

After the eternal wait, this better be the UI/UX of the decade! Its hard to justify complete non-communication (borderline disrespectful by now), especially when it involves the people who actually admire your work, supported it with their wallets and then stuck by your work for years. 

There's a podcast called the Blerg, it's by Action Launcher developer Chris Lacy. In one episode he details how he completely redesigned Action Launcher, it took him over a year. 

Loads of complaints from users, "he's abandoned us!" Some of it was quite vicious personal insults. He details how once he for started he kept uncovering more and more that he should rework or update. Sometimes working till the early hours, juggling a family, life and some really personal tragedy's.

He ends with saying he could of just pushed monthly updates with "bug fixes" with little done and nobody would have complained. I'm happy to wait as IMHO Poweramp it the best Music app available, of I weren't happy if jump to something else rather than complain.

24 minutes ago, woper map said:

There's a podcast called the Blerg, it's by Action Launcher developer Chris Lacy. In one episode he details how he completely redesigned Action Launcher, it took him over a year. 

Loads of complaints from users, "he's abandoned us!" Some of it was quite vicious personal insults. He details how once he for started he kept uncovering more and more that he should rework or update. Sometimes working till the early hours, juggling a family, life and some really personal tragedy's.

He ends with saying he could of just pushed monthly updates with "bug fixes" with little done and nobody would have complained. I'm happy to wait as IMHO Poweramp it the best Music app available, of I weren't happy if jump to something else rather than complain.

I have actually more or less repeated what @woper map says above. There is a prolonged silence from the developer and the project updates so far from @andrewilley do not really reflect the kind or volume of the current development work (only the developer can do this) but are for the most part related to the ETA.

Do I like it? No, I do not and I kind of feel like @spacebar2011 mentioned above ("borderline disrespectful by now"). My personal preference would be a communication along the lines of the TeraCopy app for Windows, see for example http://blog.codesector.com/

Do I want to move away? No, I do not yet (therefore, I stay patient and hope that v3 beta will arrive sooner than later). I consider PA the overall best music app for Android so far, especially v3 with room for further improvement. I am willing to try other things though, once they are available.

I really do not understand how nagging is expected to make things move faster. Either the developer has run into serious unexpected problems (one thing brought the other) or he is trying to balance his other life and v3 development. Either way, that's the way things are, people should respect this fact and (since it's a free world) it's up to them to move on if they are not happy.

4 hours ago, spacebar2011 said:

I'm tempted to vent out how childish this whole thing has been for the last year or more, but, I know its not going to help. Suffice to say, if he ever wants to start a business of any sort, this is exactly how NOT to go about it. I mean, yeah, you can shoot everyone that tries to get a reasonable response from the developer, but, truth of the matter is, people only have so much patience and appetite for non-answers.

After the eternal wait, this better be the UI/UX of the decade! Its hard to justify complete non-communication (borderline disrespectful by now), especially when it involves the people who actually admire your work, supported it with their wallets and then stuck by your work for years. 

https://material.io/guidelines/

There you have the Material guidelines which say what Max needs to do to make the majority of the people happy. It WON'T be any better than the guidelines because then it wouldn't be Material Design. 

Lots of people thought it was a good idea to ditch the great UI that Poweramp has and replace it by some shiny new material design with lensflares and shit. Now we all have to wait for it and you know what? I'm getting more tired of the people complaining than the wait itself. If you don't know how to do it (better) just stfu please and keep waiting silently.

Everyone here who is in favor of  MAX or against him. Please stop Spamming. You guys are not doing any good, instead giving more headache to either maintainer or MAX. I also check for Updates but do not make comments like give me update or why its late or why people are spamming. Let them take their time to release it. 
Do you guys really think they will not release the build if its good?

For one or the other reason he has not yet released the build. please stop spamming everyone and have some patience. You will like it when it will come.

Hope everyone understands. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Abhimanyusingh said:

please stop spamming everyone and have some patience. 

Have patience? All already suffer a lot of time in general.

It's not about "whining", but in manifestation of at least a fraction of the respect for its loyal users who are waiting for this update for several years. To write a few words about the state of affairs is so difficult?

3 hours ago, crashjant said:

Have patience? All already suffer a lot of time in general.

It's not about "whining", but in manifestation of at least a fraction of the respect for its loyal users who are waiting for this update for several years. To write a few words about the state of affairs is so difficult?

You guys keep throwing around the term "loyal users", what does that mean for an app? You bought it what, once? If you stuck to it that's an indication of how good the app is, he owes you NOTHING, this isn't an unreleased kickstarter project, we're lucky he's even working on an update let alone releasing it for free to current users. If anyone is loyal, it's Max.

We ALL want the update, crying "are we there yet" doesn't get us any closer to getting it. Just keep waiting, and if you can't, move on to another music player (good luck, most of them suck compared to Poweramp, which is why we're all here).

22 hours ago, TimvH said:

.. just stfu please and keep waiting silently.

Why don't you try that yourself?

13 hours ago, djdarko said:

You guys keep throwing around the term "loyal users", what does that mean for an app? You bought it what, once? If you stuck to it that's an indication of how good the app is, he owes you NOTHING, this isn't an unreleased kickstarter project, we're lucky he's even working on an update let alone releasing it for free to current users. If anyone is loyal, it's Max.

We ALL want the update, crying "are we there yet" doesn't get us any closer to getting it. Just keep waiting, and if you can't, move on to another music player (good luck, most of them suck compared to Poweramp, which is why we're all here).

That's the general attitude of people today. Nobody owes anybody anything, but, there's a thing called mutual respect and a certain sense of accountability, maybe a tiny bit of responsibility even? Nobody (at least not me) is "crying" for the update per se, rather the utter lack of any communication whatsoever in a VERY long time. We're talking years. Me, personally, didn't ask a thing or even post anything related to this update ever, until a couple weeks ago. And I've been on Poweramp since 2011. So get lost with your "crying", please do!

And I'm sure a LOT of people (me included) would be willing to pay again for a major update, if the app is really worth it (Poweramp is). That's not a very strong argument trying to say "you paid for it what, once?" In that way, a whole ton of the best paid apps on any app store could be never updated and no one's expected to utter a sigh about it? Right? Well, that's not how these things work. You build a name, a brand, you make good money. But along with it comes a certain amount of expectation and a tiny sense of responsibility or maybe respect for your paying customers. Is that too difficult a concept for you to gather mate?

Remember Fede (Launcher Pro)? Well, there's hardly been a more loved app on Android than Launcher Pro. What happened there? He promised a rewrite, people waited years, it never came, he made a music app in the meantime while saying the rewrite is "almost done". He then abandoned both apps and their users and just vanished. I'm sure people still love and respect him for that. NOT. Infer what you will from examples like that.

Personal jibes between users are not welcome here, please keep your discussions on topic. Also remember that English is not everyone's first language. Thank you.

I emailed Max again yesterday by the way, asking once more if he could please spare just a couple of minutes to post a quick comment in this thread, but if he's too busy or chooses not to then there's not much more I can do I'm afraid. We'll all just have to patiently (or not so patiently in some cases) await the next beta-test release.

Andre

When are you ever going to update this app it's been on beta/alpha for a very long timeeeeeeeee already . You need more developers to work with and not just one guy doing everything while every other music app is being updated and getting better.  Very disappointed 

13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Personal jibes between users are not welcome here, please keep your discussions on topic. Also remember that English is not everyone's first language. Thank you.

I emailed Max again yesterday by the way, asking once more if he could please spare just a couple of minutes to post a quick comment in this thread, but if he's too busy or chooses not to then there's not much more I can do I'm afraid. We'll all just have to patiently (or not so patiently in some cases) await the next beta-test release.

Andre

You certainly make no one reproach :) thanks for your efforts. 

Archived