New Poweramp v3 / KitKat?

w3wilkes

Yes. In fact I run KitKat 4.4.2 on my main device and use the v3 alpha-test on it. I could upgrade, but the hardware is still great and I'm just hoping that at some point Google will get over their Material Design dalliance... :( One day I'll have to 'upgrade' though I guess, as there are a number of apps that I use which I can no longer be updated to their latest release versions.

Andre

I thought the Material Design functionality was implemented in Android 5.0 Lollipop (API Level 21). This is why I asked the original question about the new Poweramp v3 with Material Design being backward compatible to Android 4 KitKat. When you said your Alpha level is running fine on your current Android 4.4.2 it made me wonder if you had the Poweramp with Material Design and you were saying that the new Material Design Poweramp would be fine on Android KitKat.

What part of "Android 4.1 minimal version" above is unclear? It should work fine on KitKat as far as Max has stated so far. Material Design was introduced for the OS's look and feel with Lollipop, but an app can just as easily be written based on the same visual guidelines for any version of Android.

Andre

I've checked this with Max. The current v3 alpha-test build 704 should be compatible with 4.1 upwards. However the next beta-test version, which will include the new user interface, and the final v3 release will be Android 5+ only (so Lollipop and upward). The old v2 version will remain available for older devices, but will not see regular updates.

Andre

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Looks like I'm not the only one that will be buying new hardware to be able to run the new Poweramp v3 with Material design.

Yes, me too in fact. Which is a shame as I really prefer the look and feel of KitKat, but it's getting to be necessary to 'upgrade' for a number of apps nowadays. :(

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 7:28 PM, andrewilley said:

What part of "Android 4.1 minimal version" above is unclear? It should work fine on KitKat as far as Max has stated so far. Material Design was introduced for the OS's look and feel with Lollipop, but an app can just as easily be written based on the same visual guidelines for any version of Android.

Andre

good news, because I use Poweramp on my car's headunit which is android 4.4.4 ?

You need to read this thread a little closer. You will not be able to use PA 3.0 beta or 3.0 release version on your android 4.4.4. You can use the 3.0 alpha up to the 704 release. With the implementation of Material Design Max has stated that you will have to be at android 5 (Lollipop) or beyond. Andre's flippant answer saying "What part of Android 4.1 minimal version above is unclear?" has turned out to be "fake news".

I know this is a dead topic, but I have seen Material Design apps written back to Gingerbread.  So don't say it's Google's fault, because all you have to do is include the necessary libraries inside the app, and be done with it.  You don't need to rely on Android 5.0.

:(

next beta android 5+,

KitKat stop release.....?????????  

I did not know.

Using v2 3years , v3 1years+

Use 704

I new members. Poweramp alpha v3 first use 700, starting using date 25/1/2016,701,702,703&704. and stop 4.1+ next v3 alpha .??????

Poweramp 704 and earlier will continue to work on older Androids, but once the material design interface is released (the forthcoming beta) that and any future releases will require Android 5+. Max has said he might still do an odd maintenance update on the v2 fork, but there will be no more regular work on it.

Andre

Archived