Playlists removing all songs for no reason

kradcliffe

This has happened a few times now. I will create a playlist with various songs, then for no reason I will load it at a future point and it will be empty. The playlist will still be there but with nothing in it. Running beta 703

I'm getting sick to death of Poweramp, It's buggy as hell (even the normal version) and the development is slower than a sloth wading through treacle.

There is only one dev of Poweramp I'm afraid, so if something like a ground-up rebuild of the entire user interface is going to take one man-year to complete, that is sadly how long we'll have to wait. I wish I could magically make time pass quicker too, but it is what it is.

PA playlists can only contain songs that exist in the Library database (think of them as effectively 'pointers' to current library entries). The problem with that is that should, for any reason, the file system not be available when Poweramp does a scan (for example an SD card has not yet been mounted after a reboot) then the library will temporarily appear empty and thus any Playlists that were using it will become empty. The fact that the songs reappear immediately during the next scan doesn't change the fact that the playlist pointers have gone.

I would suggest if this is happening regularly on your device for some reason you should consider backing up your playlists using Settings > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists. That will change your internal (database only) playlists into file-based playlists, and the contents will remain safe. There is also a third-party app called New Playlist Manager which gives a lot more control over the whole playlist system, including backing up and moving to new devices, etc.

Andre

Archived